Phoenix CXXXI: Looking for the Barroway Necessities

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I'm sure that 650M is not TOO much for him to pay. But, it is another question, one to which we do not have the answer yet, whether 650M is more than he WANTS to pay.

Fiscal reality: Fertitta doesn't NEED the hockey team. Likely, the presence of the hockey team would be a financial neutral or a money loser, since he can't get arena subsidies for the NHL team because he already owns the arena. It is a big question whether local suite sales for hockey, club seats and an RSN deal would pay for the costs of running the team.

So, the truth becomes: Does Fertitta believe that the rising value of NHL franchises merits that kind of cost, given that there are lots of other places he can put the 650M and have more or less guaranteed growth?

And, we don't know that.

Most here assume it to be true, but we don't KNOW it for sure.

doesn't Harris County and its authority own the arena? I believe it is a joint operating AGREEMENT between Fertitta and the County akin to the lease agreement Alexander had with the Wild when the Aeros existed there.

same happens here prior to Spectra operates Cross, MNN, any tenant agreement is secondary to the operation of any club as any other agreement.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Great source. Friend of yours? :laugh:

Well...Jude LaCava made the local media rounds back on November 15(*)...

To quote:

"The Coyotes-Salt River Tribe's relationship would be enhanced by a new majority owner for the hockey franchise, [Fox10 Sports Report Jude] LaCava said.

"The contacts that I've been able to talk to strongly suggested that if another deep pocketed owner were to gobble up the Coyotes, there would be significant interest in an arena at Talking Stick (near the Arizona Diamondbacks' spring training complex)," LaCava said, complimenting the Talking Stick leadership."

This twitter poster was just asking for an update from LaCava...after what has been a couple of fortnights... :rolleyes:

* -
www.azcentral.com/story/sports/nhl/coyotes/2017/11/15/arizona-coyotes-phoenix-suns-arena-stadium-multipurpose/867354001/

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Well in fairness, Le Cava did say 'if' a deep pocketed owner came in....

With the Islanders news today at Belmont, I guess it's only fair to get an update.

Need to keep up with all of the piles of dirt in the world.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Well...Jude LaCava made the local media rounds back on November 15(*)...

To quote:

"The Coyotes-Salt River Tribe's relationship would be enhanced by a new majority owner for the hockey franchise, [Fox10 Sports Report Jude] LaCava said.

"The contacts that I've been able to talk to strongly suggested that if another deep pocketed owner were to gobble up the Coyotes, there would be significant interest in an arena at Talking Stick (near the Arizona Diamondbacks' spring training complex)," LaCava said, complimenting the Talking Stick leadership."

This twitter poster was just asking for an update from LaCava...after what has been a couple of fortnights... :rolleyes:

* -
www.azcentral.com/story/sports/nhl/coyotes/2017/11/15/arizona-coyotes-phoenix-suns-arena-stadium-multipurpose/867354001/

Right.... a lot of hear say from the most out of touch sports personality in all of Phoenix egged on by a known Twitter troll account.

The standards being utilized here are mind boggling........ :facepalm:

Reactions: Dirty Old Man

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Well in fairness, Le Cava did say 'if' a deep pocketed owner came in....

With the Islanders news today at Belmont, I guess it's only fair to get an update.

Need to keep up with all of the piles of dirt in the world.

Well...maybe Barroway can call up Sean Combs...P Diddy...Puffy Daddy...or whatever he calls himself now...to see if he is interested in a hockey team... ;)

JMROWE

Apr 2, 2010
Hamilton Ontario
Why doesn't Gary Bettman just let the Coyotes die & relocate because the state of Arizona has made it quite clear NO to the another new arena & there is the door don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out .

Instead Gary Bettman going around to Ottawa & Calgary & threating them with relocation clearly Gary Bettman has his priorities out of order & it is teams like the Coyotes , Panthers & Hurricanes that have to relocate but Gary Bettman has a an anti Canadian agenda & if he could he would move all the Canadian teams state side with the exception of Toronto & Montreal .

Let me you something NHL. teams or prospective NHL. teams in Canada can make money in outdated or smaller arenas than the coyotes, panthers & hurricanes combined so wake up Gary you are living in a fantasy land get those teams moved to Quebec City , Houston & Southern Ontario (Hamilton) now & I guarantee those cities will turn more of a profit in the first quarter of an NHL. season than the Coyotes, Panthers & Hurricanes did combined in all the years they where in those markets .

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Why doesn't Gary Bettman just let the Coyotes die & relocate because the state of Arizona has made it quite clear NO to the another new arena & there is the door don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out .

Instead Gary Bettman going around to Ottawa & Calgary & threating them with relocation clearly Gary Bettman has his priorities out of order & it is teams like the Coyotes , Panthers & Hurricanes that have to relocate but Gary Bettman has a an anti Canadian agenda & if he could he would move all the Canadian teams state side with the exception of Toronto & Montreal .

Let me you something NHL. teams or prospective NHL. teams in Canada can make money in outdated or smaller arenas than the coyotes, panthers & hurricanes combined so wake up Gary you are living in a fantasy land get those teams moved to Quebec City , Houston & Southern Ontario (Hamilton) now & I guarantee those cities will turn more of a profit in the first quarter of an NHL. season than the Coyotes, Panthers & Hurricanes did combined in all the years they where in those markets .

The Hamilton fantasy continues, I see...

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine

uh Canadiens and Michael Andlauer say hi Hamilton, thanks for helping out a french franchise

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Here's the article...

After threat to move, Arizona Coyotes staying 1 more year in Glendale

To quote:

"The one-year extension in Glendale also may quell concerns in the short term about the team moving to Seattle or Houston — cities currently seeking an NHL team. Also, the league appears more interested in putting an expansion team in the Pacific Northwest.

The Coyotes had until Dec. 31 to notify AEG, the arena manager, whether the team plans to play elsewhere for the 2018-19 season. If the team does nothing, the lease automatically renews for one more year in Glendale.

[The team's chief operating officer Ahron] Cohen noted the Coyotes have an "evergreen lease," meaning it can continually renew annually with AEG."

Source: azcentral.com/story/news/local/glendale/2017/12/19/arizona-coyotes-staying-1-more-year-glendale-gila-river-arena/963379001/

But this part is interesting...

"Brent Stoddard, a Glendale spokesman, said the city has heard nothing regarding a new arena-funding bill for the 2018 Legislature.

There have been discussions on social media that the Salt River Pima-Maricopa Indian Community is interested in financially helping the Coyotes with a new arena on tribal land.

But Kim Secakuku, a spokeswoman for the tribe, called such discussions a "rumor" and said she had no information regarding an investment by the Salt River Pima-Maricopa Indian Community in the team or a new arena."

Last edited:

Acesolid

The Illusive Bettman
Sep 21, 2010
Québec
Yes! Another year of Coyotes megathreads! The streak of survival through complete uncertainty, and without a long-term future or solution will continue for an 11th year in a row for the Yotes!

Awesome! :popcorn::clap:

I'll start preparing the 11th anniversary thread.... and since I'm at it, I should start preparing the 12th, 15th, 20th year anniversary of Coyotes megathreads!

Last edited by a moderator:

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Here's the article...
/story/news/local/glendale/2017/12/19/arizona-coyotes-staying-1-more-year-glendale-gila-river-arena/963379001/

"Brent Stoddard, a Glendale spokesman, said the city has heard nothing regarding a new arena-funding bill for the 2018 Legislature.

There have been discussions on social media that the Salt River Pima-Maricopa Indian Community is interested in financially helping the Coyotes with a new arena on tribal land.

But Kim Secakuku, a spokeswoman for the tribe, called such discussions a "rumor" and said she had no information regarding an investment by the Salt River Pima-Maricopa Indian Community in the team or a new arena."

The spokesperson's comments is the first I've heard anything directly from the Tribe. Anything else was just someone randomly throwing something around to see what sticks.

If Mr. Barroway has enough $$$ to go the next year and change then all good?...maybe...?

Otherwise, if there's nothing going on with the tribe, nothing going on with the Legislature that we know and the downtown arena renovations negotiations is only with the Suns, what plan to the they have or still at the very beginning....

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
The spokesperson's comments is the first I've heard anything directly from the Tribe. Anything else was just someone randomly throwing something around to see what sticks.

It is important to remember, though, what the dynamics are on the reservation - the Indian authority, for whom I would imagine this lady is the spokesperson, does not directly control the various pieces of land on the reservation; rather, the land is divided among smaller subgroups and families. So it is conceivable that one or more groups within the SRPMIC community have had conversations with the Coyotes without involving the oversight group. Since we parse every word that comes from Bettman's mouth, we probably should parse the spokesperson's quote as closely - she said she has no information about it, which is nothing close to a denial.

In other words, we still have no concrete information one way or the other - just competing rumor mills.

Fairview

Jan 30, 2016
It is important to remember, though, what the dynamics are on the reservation - the Indian authority, for whom I would imagine this lady is the spokesperson, does not directly control the various pieces of land on the reservation; rather, the land is divided among smaller subgroups and families. So it is conceivable that one or more groups within the SRPMIC community have had conversations with the Coyotes without involving the oversight group. Since we parse every word that comes from Bettman's mouth, we probably should parse the spokesperson's quote as closely - she said she has no information about it, which is nothing close to a denial.

In other words, we still have no concrete information one way or the other - just competing rumor mills.
Would one or two sub-groups be able to pull off a $500+ million project on their own? Or do they need a collective agreement among the majority? This reminds me of the ASU plan, except that the ASU plan at least had the athletic director on board, seems like more of the same wishful thinking of the Coyotes, and like usual, no one willing to confirm anything from the supposed builder side.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Would one or two sub-groups be able to pull off a $500+ million project on their own? Or do they need a collective agreement among the majority? This reminds me of the ASU plan, except that the ASU plan at least had the athletic director on board, seems like more of the same wishful thinking of the Coyotes, and like usual, no one willing to confirm anything from the supposed builder side.

I don't know for sure. I would guess that the groups would be able to do a deal independently. Whether they could ask the overarching authority for subsidy money to help finance it is a fair question, but I doubt that the authority would be any more willing than any other Valley city to put up that kind of cash.

I think the group that controls the Salt River Fields at Talking Stick is the one LaCava and everyone else believes is the most likely candidate to be involved here, but remember that there are other groups out there who have been at one time or another linked with the Coyotes in terms of talks (the group controlling the old drive-in by ASU, as well as the group owning the land by Talking Stick Resort by the 202 freeway). I am willing to believe that there have been talks with all of these groups - what I don't know is whether any of those talks moved past the concept/interest stage.

Fairview

Jan 30, 2016
I don't know for sure. I would guess that the groups would be able to do a deal independently. Whether they could ask the overarching authority for subsidy money to help finance it is a fair question, but I doubt that the authority would be any more willing than any other Valley city to put up that kind of cash.

I think the group that controls the Salt River Fields at Talking Stick is the one LaCava and everyone else believes is the most likely candidate to be involved here, but remember that there are other groups out there who have been at one time or another linked with the Coyotes in terms of talks (the group controlling the old drive-in by ASU, as well as the group owning the land by Talking Stick Resort by the 202 freeway). I am willing to believe that there have been talks with all of these groups - what I don't know is whether any of those talks moved past the concept/interest stage.
I believe that the way the NHL and their ownership groups(Borrowaway and Ice Clowns) slammed Glendale in the past, would make it hard for them to find a willing partner. It is one thing for Bettman/Borrowaway to crank up the spin machine to try to get fan support but , I would think that anyone considering a business arrangement with the league/team would take the time to find out what really happened in Glendale. That would be a big red flag, and ultimately could be the reason that , so far, no one wants anything to do with that bunch of lying thieves.

Reactions: Llama19

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I believe that the way the NHL and their ownership groups(Borrowaway and Ice Clowns) slammed Glendale in the past, would make it hard for them to find a willing partner. It is one thing for Bettman/Borrowaway to crank up the spin machine to try to get fan support but , I would think that anyone considering a business arrangement with the league/team would take the time to find out what really happened in Glendale. That would be a big red flag, and ultimately could be the reason that , so far, no one wants anything to do with that bunch of lying thieves.

Politicians and businessmen talk a harsh game but if the right backs are scratched and skids are greased, anything is possible. They don't answer to what we would consider common sense or ethics. That said, the NHL's naked ask for subsidy in this case makes it highly unlikely that anything other than some creative tribal financing is going to result in a new arena deal.

Reactions: mesamonster

Glacial

Jan 8, 2013
Yes! Another year of Coyotes megathreads! The streak of survival through complete uncertainty, and without a long-term future or solution will continue for an 11th year in a row for the Yotes!

I'll start preparing the 11th anniversary thread.... and since I'm at it, I should start preparing the 12th, 15th, 20th year anniversary of Coyotes megathreads!

The Coyotes ownership/new arena quest clusterfubar is like a cornucopia. It keeps on giving new megathread topic bundles under the :xtree: every year. Their track record of beating the odds is impressive, year after year, even as it looks so certain to so many each time.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ

Well...a gift for an 11th anniversary is steal... :sarcasm:

Reactions: Killion

pfp

Sep 4, 2007
Here's the article...

After threat to move, Arizona Coyotes staying 1 more year in Glendale

To quote:

"The one-year extension in Glendale also may quell concerns in the short term about the team moving to Seattle or Houston — cities currently seeking an NHL team. Also, the league appears more interested in putting an expansion team in the Pacific Northwest.

The Coyotes had until Dec. 31 to notify AEG, the arena manager, whether the team plans to play elsewhere for the 2018-19 season. If the team does nothing, the lease automatically renews for one more year in Glendale.

[The team's chief operating officer Ahron] Cohen noted the Coyotes have an "evergreen lease," meaning it can continually renew annually with AEG."

Source: azcentral.com/story/news/local/glendale/2017/12/19/arizona-coyotes-staying-1-more-year-glendale-gila-river-arena/963379001/

Just because the lease was auto renewed does NOT mean they will be playing there. All this means is that they want the option to play there next year. The real question is what would it cost them to not play there after renewing the lease? I'd bet that amount is a rounding error on their losses this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad