OT: Philadelphia Phillies: 2017 season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Who wouldnt want to sign the best 3rd baseman in baseball who is 25. They have had a revolving door there ever since Rolen left, which was 15 and half years ago.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Guess they'll hold on to Cesar for another half season, work Kingery in as a utility guy and then attempt to make a move at the deadline.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
That seems like a good return for Galvis. De Los Santos has advanced steadily through the minors and he pitched a lot last season in AA to good results.

whitstifier

Mar 19, 2013
De Los Santos, who will turn 21 on Dec. 25, was the 13th-ranked prospect in a strong Padres system, per Jim Callis and Jonathan Mayo of MLB.com. He fell shy of Baseball America’s offseason list of the Padres’ top 10 prospects, though BA’s Kyle Glaser tweets that De Los Santos would be a top 10 name in many systems throughout the league. Glaser tweets that De Los Santos sits 94-98 mph with a heater that he commands to both sides in the lower portion of the strike zone. Callis and Mayo note that he already has an average curveball and a changeup that flashes above-average at times.

The 2017 season was a strong one for De Los Santos, who logged 150 innings over the life of 26 appearances (24 starts) and averaged 8.3 K/9 against 2.9 BB/9 with a 44.2 percent ground-ball rate en route to a 3.78 ERA. It’s not clear where the Phils intend to start him in 2018, but he’ll likely either return to Double-A and be in line for a quick bump to Triple-A early in the season or just open the year in Triple-A right out of the gate.

This is surprising. Great trade?

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
The good-bodied De Los Santos, acquired from Seattle for Joaquin Benoit in November of 2015, missed bats with all three of his pitches last night, garnering swings and misses on his 92-95 mph fastball both within the strike zone and above it and with his fading changeup. De Los Santos also has a solid-average curveball that he can bend into the zone for cheap, early-count strikes the third time through the lineup, but he’s becoming more adept at burying it in the dirt when he’s ahead. He generally lives in the strike zone and is a good bet to start; the only knock I’ve heard from scouts is that the stuff plays down due to poor extension, which might explain the modest strikeout rate despite good reports on the stuff.

Daily Prospect Notes: 7/25 | FanGraphs Baseball

Once traded for Joaquin Benoit.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Reports I see are more 92-95, but he's 21, was 6'3 170 at 18, so figure he's filling out and may have some upside, so 94-98 isn't that out of reach.
Regardless, if he can average 93+, any extra velocity (see Pivetta, Velasquez) is less important than mastering his curve and changeup, and maybe adding a slider.
I expect him to start at Reading given the depth of the projected Lehigh rotation (Eflin, Thompson, Anderson, Eshelman, Tavares, Leibrandt), and like Kilome, earn his way up the ladder.
Klentak emphasized building young pitching depth when he was hired, they now have it from Lakewood to the majors.
Key is half these guys will flop and/or get injured, problem is identifying which half, like goalies, safety in numbers.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008

A lot to digest there. I guess Hoskins is largely in LF. OF move coming?

I definitely didn't expect a FA bat of that quality and age combo.

Last edited:

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Maybe they weren't bluffing. Tommy Joseph will be DFA'd, but is Santana playing OF or 3B?

Wait could they possibly trade Hoskins?

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
What did I miss?

Either they are trading Hoskins or and outfielder I guess.
There was a rumor right when free agency started the Phillies were interested in Santana. He's a really good hitter. A rare high BB/low K guy with decent pop. Doesn't have a position at the moment.

whitstifier

Mar 19, 2013
Santana played 7 games in RF last year... Maybe the DH is on its way to the NL

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
A rather baffling move with the signing of Santana. Will make for an interesting rest of today.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Santana is a plus fielding 1B, and a power hitting switchhitter.
Negative is he turns 32 next year, but only a 3 year deal and he should be good for at least 6-7 WAR over that period.
Really good batting eye, high walk rate, low K rate, runs up pitch counts.

Interesting take on Santana, via Fansgraphs:
fangraphs.com
Santana-2.png

Carlos Santana: A Hosmer Alternative | FanGraphs Baseball

Eric Hosmer figures to sign the richest contract among first basemen this offseason. There might …

Les Averman

Mar 3, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
I'd think Herrera may be on the move. His value is probably about as high as it will be, and Hoskins will likely move to LF, meaning one of Herrera, Williams and Altherr are out the door, unless they're trading Hoskins while his value is at it's peak.

Herrera and Franco to Baltimore for Machado - boom*
Joking, mostly...

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
In a vacuum I like the Santana deal, but something has got to give here. Obviously Santana is going to play 1B which means Hoskins is now everyday LF. So who is on the move in the OF? I had assumed we would roll with something along the lines of Williams/Herrera/Altheirr with maybe Quinn in there somewhere if he outplayed one of the corner OF, or maybe Hoskins if they decided to keep Joseph or go after a 1B like Hosmer or something, but I never thought Santana would be in play. I think it really all depends on what other shoe drops. Dream scenario would be landing Machado while keeping Hoskins.

Maybe just blow up everything. Send Franco and a pitching prospect (or more) to Baltimore for Machado. Send one of the other OF like Williams, Herrera, or Altheirr plus something for a young MLB ready prospect or established pitcher somehow. If they can do something like that this team could compete this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad