OT: Philadelphia Eagles (NFL): When You're Up, It's Never As Good As It Seems, And When You're Down, You Never Think You'll Be Up Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
I'd like to see the Eagles somehow land RB Jahmyr Gibbs in the draft. If it means trading down from the #10 pick, so be it. Gibbs is the missing link to making the Eagles offense a high octane machine, hands down the best offense in the league.
Drafting a running back while the defense loses half its players is not the move. Honestly, Gainwell can carry the load

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
I'm telling you guys, Gibbs is special though. Some of the best RB instincts I've seen Marshall Faulk.
The Eagles might be able to nab him @ 31, which would be a major coup. Highlights here:

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Is it really worth it to take RBs high anymore?
No, if they were to take a skill position player in the 1st round it should be a wide receiver. maybe at 30. Quez killed them this year. i didnt want him touching the ball on Sunday and if he catches that ball they might win.

Reactions: BigToe

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Not really because you can't pay them 2nd contracts. Plus natural attrition of the position and it's the easiest position to acquire $ wise. Maybe if you have a team that's one playmaker away, but even then the Chiefs take CEH and he's a non-factor.

And that's what he Eagles are, one elite RB away.

Gibbs isn't even the highest rated RB inn the draft, because he isn't particularly big and can't break tackles particularly well (but he does everything else brilliantly, including pass catching). If the Eagles can somehow nab him with the #31 or a high second rounder, I'd be delighted.

I'll say it. I know it's dumb but a part of me will be pumped if they take Bijan Robinson.
He's higher rated than Gibbs but I don't think he's quite the player. Gibbs is electrifying.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
And that's what he Eagles are, one elite RB away.

Gibbs isn't even the highest rated RB inn the draft, because he isn't particularly big and can't break tackles particularly well (but he does everything else brilliantly, including pass catching). If the Eagles can somehow nab him with the #31 or a high second rounder, I'd be delighted.
Their defense needs the work. Not the offense. If anything, upgrade Quez. Going RB in the first 3 rounds of this draft would not be what I want to see

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
Is it really worth it to take RBs high anymore?

21:45 until 31:20 ish to get the general idea of the matter. Also watch more PFF to get in on NFL draft shenanigans in addition to your Swedish prospect addiction.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008

21:45 until 31:20 ish to get the general idea of the matter. Also watch more PFF to get in on NFL draft shenanigans in addition to your Swedish prospect addiction.

I happened to have this queued up for today already, but I'm going to guess that they talk about how no matter what you think of where it's ok to draft a RB, it's still a function of who else is available. You don't draft Gibbs or Bijan in a vacuum. The specific pool of available players is context so important to the discussion that you lose all anchoring to reality by ignoring it.

The problem is that wherever I might be able to justify a RB in R1, I can't think of a scenario where it still makes more sense than a trade down. Even for pennies.

I *love* a good controversial hypothetical

I asked my co-workers at lunch if they'd trade Jalen Hurts for LV Raiders' 2023 (#7), '24, and '25 1st Rounds picks.

All gave me a resounding "NO"

I mean, I'd consider it

I don't want to start trouble today, so I'll just say that in general, fans wouldn't consider trading nearly enough of the players on their favorite team. That goes for every team in every sport. Almost everyone is replaceable given enough return. Call it the Provorov Corollary. ;)

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
I happened to have this queued up for today already, but I'm going to guess that they talk about how no matter what you think of where it's ok to draft a RB, it's still a function of who else is available. You don't draft Gibbs or Bijan in a vacuum. The specific pool of available players is context so important to the discussion that you lose all anchoring to reality by ignoring it.

The problem is that wherever I might be able to justify a RB in R1, I can't think of a scenario where it still makes more sense than a trade down. Even for pennies.

I don't want to start trouble today, so I'll just say that in general, fans wouldn't consider trading nearly enough of the players on their favorite team. That goes for every team in every sport. Almost everyone is replaceable given enough return. Call it the Provorov Corollary. ;)
No spoilers from me!

Also everyone is replaceable.

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
I don't want to start trouble today, so I'll just say that in general, fans wouldn't consider trading nearly enough of the players on their favorite team. That goes for every team in every sport. Almost everyone is replaceable given enough return.
Come on, start trouble.

swami24

Jul 24, 2020
No, if they were to take a skill position player in the 1st round it should be a wide receiver. maybe at 30. Quez killed them this year. i didnt want him touching the ball on Sunday and if he catches that ball they might win.
The team could lose 7 def players, and you want to draft someone who will be 3rd wr?? Def line, corner, and linebacker are all glaring needs.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008

I'll do it then:

Step 1) Trade Jalen for #7, 2024 1st, 2025 1st from Raiders
Step 2) Trade #10 & #31 in 2023, #1 in 2024 for Micah Parsons
Step 3) Coax Brady out of retirement

Profit

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: JojoTheWhale

Mkoll

Inkvisiittori
Jul 5, 2008
New Brunswick, Canada
How many picks actually work out and have impact for each team? 1 or 2?

I dont understand why trade for so many picks, when the hope would be to find an impact player like Hurts anyway.

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
. If anything, upgrade Quez.
He turned into Jalen Raeger in the 2nd half of the season. Biggest disappointment of the season for me (player performance-wise). He regularly slowed down at the tail end of his routes and then just jumped at balls. Mind boggling stuff. An upgrade at WR3 would be awesome.

Reactions: DancingPanther

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
How many picks actually work out and have impact for each team? 1 or 2?

I dont understand why trade for so many picks, when the hope would be to find an impact player like Hurts anyway.
Well, as an example, the Cheifs had 5 rookies starting.

We had 0. But it looks like we at least got 2 of 5 flashing (Davis and Jurgens), and then Dean and Calcaterra warm bodied this year.

But we also turned picks into AJ Brown and CJGJ last year.

It's all about more bites at the apple.

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
I knew someone would do it but finally saw the first big outlet have a writer mock Anthony Richardson at first overall. WHEW

Edit: it factors in trades

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad