OT: Philadelphia Eagles (NFL): When You're Up, It's Never As Good As It Seems, And When You're Down, You Never Think You'll Be Up Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
No

But boy did I think about it

I'd add to it. Shouldn't require any thought unless you think the Eagles need to reload. And then it's a no because the org isn't in a place to make the trade. The value is more than fine by any reasonable measure.

The closest comp you'll find was (Khalil Mack + 2 + 6) returned (1 + 6 + future 1 + future 3). Mack was 27 and needed to be paid. Parsons is about to be 24, has 2 full rookie scale years left and if you wanted to say he's clearly a better player so far, I can't say you're wrong. Parsons is a better asset on almost every axis.

Parsons should be the most valuable defensive asset in the league. And I think probably the most valuable non-QB, but I'd have to dig into WR contracts to confirm.

Last edited:

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Ive moved into the paying Jalen side. My only thing is he cant be running as much until later in the season. Unleash him in December and the playoffs. I expect to him to improve though, ideally working on throwing to his right.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
Ive moved into the paying Jalen side. My only thing is he cant be running as much until later in the season. Unleash him in December and the playoffs. I expect to him to improve though, ideally working on throwing to his right.
I'm fine with it. I'd rather take the chance that he (as the person he is) continues to improve, even marginally, or plateaus with consistency. Can't really improve on the year he had.

The cap hit will probably be deferred to 2025/26 year before becoming a complete bomb, so we have about a 3 year window.

iceman42

May 7, 2003
Enfield, NH
He's shown me he has the intangibles that will allow the team to be a consistent threat offensively. He has a little way yet to go as a passer, which I think he will eventually get to. All QBs with age will need to rely on experience and their arms and less and less on their legs.

I think the offense long-term will not survive if they are doing RPO, or he is going to get exposed to too many hits. You can also see little by little that teams are starting to get a feel for the Eagle's brand of RPO.

Reactions: Halladay

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
I'd add to it. Shouldn't require any thought unless you think the Eagles need to reload. And then it's a no because the org isn't in a place to make the trade. The value is more than fine by any reasonable measure.

The closest comp you'll find was (Khalil Mack + 2 + 6) returned (1 + 6 + future 1 + future 3). Mack was 27 and needed to be paid. Parsons is about to be 24, has 2 full rookie scale years left and if you wanted to say he's clearly a better player so far, I can't say you're wrong. Parsons is a better asset on almost every axis.

Parsons should be the most valuable defensive asset in the league. And I think probably the most valuable non-QB, but I'd have to dig into WR contracts to confirm.

I was pretty confident you'd pull the trigger on this trade.

I just can't do it, but I wouldn't be miserable if we did - I'll say that.

Reddick & Parsons. WOOOOO boy.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
There is a way because he, himself has the 5th year and three years left on his rookie deal. After that yes you’ll have to be diligent, but if you’re in the “Super Bowl” window, this is an easy yes to a ridiculous hypothetical.

I mean we are talking about probably the most impactful defensive player in the league on a rookie contract. That’s incredibly valuable. They are probably going to look for a front seven player at 10 this year and pray for a small fraction of the impact of Parsons.

Btw, still hate the Jordan Davis trade up.
DL may not be the position to target at 10. Carter, Anderson and Wilson seem to be the top D players to come off the board. Then you have Murphy and Beesce from Clemson on the DL. Might not be the best value at 10 for a DL.

May be the spot to take OT if Lane Johnson does retire like he’s hinted at doing. OSU , Georgia and Northwestern OT should be going around 10. Or they can go CB.

But figure they go DL, CB and OT if Johnson retires for their top 3 picks whichever order they feel provided the best value.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
I'd add to it. Shouldn't require any thought unless you think the Eagles need to reload.
I don't see how at this point, we don't need to reload on Defense. We are basically losing the roster, besides Reddick and Slay (who could be a post 6/1 casualty), with limited ability for FAs (our own included).

TBH, I'm already playing for 2024 season, I'm expecting a step back season. We were not setup for repeat like we were in 2018.

Last edited:

Bigkarl

Dec 27, 2017

Would he and Reddick be on the field at the same time? If not, is it that much of an upgrade to give up all that? Just feels like too much redundancy in that skill set when there’s so many other positions to fill.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
I don't see how at this point, we don't need to reload on Defense. We are basically losing the roster, besides Reddick and Slay (who could be a post 6/1 casualty), with limited ability for FAs (our own included).

TBH, I'm already playing for 2024 season.
I think you are looking at it wrong. You win in today's NFL with offense. Barring major injuries they will be a playoff team again and will probably have the best quarterback in those games. Look at the other teams in the NFC and point me to one that doesnt have majors issues too. There isnt one.

Reactions: achdumeingute

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
I think you are looking at it wrong. You win in today's NFL with offense. Barring major injuries they will be a playoff team again and will probably have the best quarterback in those games. Look at the other teams in the NFC and point me to one that doesnt have majors issues too. There isnt one.
I can't say I agree 100% about it just being offense. But, I think it's more important to get a quality DC than the <exact> players we have. It puts tremendous pressure on one side of the ball if you don't have any results from the other (turnover margin is huge).

I do think we will be in playoff contention, but we had a lot break right, the margins are small in the league.

TBH, I hate them, but I think the Cowboys are in a slightly better spot next year than us.

Last edited:
Reactions: Halladay

Kermit the Prog

Threadkiller
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Greenville, DE
Recognizing that Parsons is a tremendous player, I am loathe to give up three first round picks for him, or anyone, really. The simple answer for me is this - injury. I know one should not place a negative evaluation based on a potential occurrence, and I am not even taking into account his early exit against Tampa Bay in the playoffs, but one injury, which could cost him a quarter, half, game, IR term, or season, torpedoes the value of the picks it cost them for the length of that absence. Two picks - one in 2023 and one in 2024? Much more appetizing to me (and likely not enough).

Now, Parsons may never have an injury of significance for the rest of his career, and Howie may shit the bed on those three picks, but, based on surface-level value, I am less inclined to favor a trade such as this.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
I can't say I agree 100% about it just being offense. But, I think it's more important to get a quality DC than the <exact> players we have. It puts tremendous pressure on one side of the ball if you don't have any results from the other (turnover margin is huge).

I do think we will be in playoff contention, but we had a lot break right, the margins are small in the league.

TBH, I hate them, but I think the Cowboys are in a slightly better spot next year than us.
I just dont see it with Dallas. offensive coaching took a major step back.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Cards are in a bad spot with kyler’s injury. Not a great landing spot for a guy who wants to succeed in the next opportunity.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I know most are happy to see Gannon gone, but replacing two coordinators in one offseason is less than ideal for a contender.

DL may not be the position to target at 10. Carter, Anderson and Wilson seem to be the top D players to come off the board. Then you have Murphy and Beesce from Clemson on the DL. Might not be the best value at 10 for a DL.

May be the spot to take OT if Lane Johnson does retire like he’s hinted at doing. OSU , Georgia and Northwestern OT should be going around 10. Or they can go CB.

But figure they go DL, CB and OT if Johnson retires for their top 3 picks whichever order they feel provided the best value.
I’ll wait until after the combine to try to project what will be on the board come late April, but DJ (obvious Eagles connections) has said on more than one occasion that they will likely be looking at DL and corner at that pick and they historically have not drafted DBs that high (off the top of my head as I sit on the toilet you’d have to go back to 2002). I just don’t think they trust their amateur DB evaluations but trends can be bucked and by many accounts this is a good CB class.

You can’t take an OL at 10 unless there is a starting spot open imo. Lane just said last week he’s playing at least two more seasons. If Seumalo walks and if Skoronski is there, maybe he’d be a pick but can’t see a scenario where that happens. Plus you have the best OL coach in the league who has gotten more out of less. That doesn’t mean you pass on a blue chip player but something to think about.

@JojoTheWhale Wants Johnston at 10. I don’t think that’ll happen but ya never know.

I’m team trade back ofc.

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
2sjrd2.gif

#TeamTradeDown

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
@JojoTheWhale Wants Johnston at 10. I don’t think that’ll happen but ya never know.

I’m team trade back ofc.

I am also Team Trade Back unless I fall in love with one of these Corners if/when I get Coaches' Tape on them. Or maybe Bresee. I doubt that last bit is where I land because there are too many IDLs I like later. But I am going to have QJ much, much higher on my draftable list than most. I'm already out on Murphy at 10. Zero interest.

While we're at it, does anyone have any idea if they would consider just signing Dillard if Lane retires? My gut says no, but they didn't hold him all this time for zero reason.

Would he and Reddick be on the field at the same time? If not, is it that much of an upgrade to give up all that? Just feels like too much redundancy in that skill set when there’s so many other positions to fill.

The answer depends on the Down/Distance/Score. These guys don't play THAT much anymore. Reddick played ~74% of Snaps last year and given his age, you can probably get more per Snap with less. Sweat was in 53% of the time. Graham was at 43%. Parsons was at 80% for Dallas, but some of those were in coverage. It's manageable, especially if Milton Williams plays mostly 3 Tech.

As far as contract, I believe Reddick is up the same year a Parsons extension would start.

Recognizing that Parsons is a tremendous player, I am loathe to give up three first round picks for him, or anyone, really. The simple answer for me is this - injury. I know one should not place a negative evaluation based on a potential occurrence, and I am not even taking into account his early exit against Tampa Bay in the playoffs, but one injury, which could cost him a quarter, half, game, IR term, or season, torpedoes the value of the picks it cost them for the length of that absence. Two picks - one in 2023 and one in 2024? Much more appetizing to me (and likely not enough).

Now, Parsons may never have an injury of significance for the rest of his career, and Howie may shit the bed on those three picks, but, based on surface-level value, I am less inclined to favor a trade such as this.

I don't think this can ever be wrong. I'm usually there too. Parsons is just a completely different animal from the stars that are typically made available in trade. It's also why they'd never trade him, but who doesn't like a good controversial hypothetical?

TBH, I'm already playing for 2024 season, I'm expecting a step back season. We were not setup for repeat like we were in 2018.

I'm there too. But I don't think they are.

The defense was good this year because they made multiple fantastic bargain acquisitions late in the offseason. That's probably not repeatable, let alone replacing all of the free agents.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
I know most are happy to see Gannon gone, but replacing two coordinators in one offseason is less than ideal for a contender.

I’ll wait until after the combine to try to project what will be on the board come late April, but DJ (obvious Eagles connections) has said on more than one occasion that they will likely be looking at DL and corner at that pick and they historically have not drafted DBs that high (off the top of my head as I sit on the toilet you’d have to go back to 2002). I just don’t think they trust their amateur DB evaluations but trends can be bucked and by many accounts this is a good CB class.

You can’t take an OL at 10 unless there is a starting spot open imo. Lane just said last week he’s playing at least two more seasons. If Seumalo walks and if Skoronski is there, maybe he’d be a pick but can’t see a scenario where that happens. Plus you have the best OL coach in the league who has gotten more out of less. That doesn’t mean you pass on a blue chip player but something to think about.

I’m team trade back ofc.
#TeamTradeDown - this is the way.

Your 100% correct on losing two coordinators, it's not ideal.

I wonder if Dillard could be a cheaper option for Guard than Seu..., as the shift ability to tackle is nice. But I have to think Dillard is getting 8m from SOMEONE to try at tackle. Maybe we just plugin Jurgens at RG, with Kelce back.

One thing is for sure, our OL depth takes a hit this year. Relying on that earned trust in Stoutland to bring someone(s) along.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
The defense was good this year because they made multiple fantastic bargain acquisitions late in the offseason. That's probably not repeatable, let alone replacing all of the free agents.
100%, we hit 3 home runs on defensive bargains. It's unrealistic to expect that again.

I mean, executive of the year IMO is a 2 man race between Howie and Veach (I really don't know how much he's responsible for).

Trading Tyreek and then having so much contribution from the rookies/bargain UFAs can't be overlooked.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
I don't think this can ever be wrong. I'm usually there too. Parsons is just a completely different animal from the stars that are typically made available in trade. It's also why they'd never trade him, but who doesn't like a good controversial hypothetical?

I *love* a good controversial hypothetical

I asked my co-workers at lunch if they'd trade Jalen Hurts for LV Raiders' 2023 (#7), '24, and '25 1st Rounds picks.

All gave me a resounding "NO"

I mean, I'd consider it

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
I'd like to see the Eagles somehow land RB Jahmyr Gibbs in the draft. If it means trading down from the #10 pick, so be it. Gibbs is the missing link to making the Eagles offense a high octane machine, hands down the best offense in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad