Prospect Info: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Phantoms' Travis Sanheim-Philippe Myers pairing can't be trusted with Flyers ... yet

Of course this is a johnk article. I don't even know where to begin, so cue the music, Johnny:

He takes a dig at analytics while simultaneously getting to the essence of it. And then proceeding to ignore Myers has been one of the best Phantoms players in doing this this season. And Sanheim the best Flyer. But of course he doesn't know that. He just watched this one (bad) game and figured it all out.

Oh, I bet.

Competition BETWEEN them?! What the **** kind of chemicals are in that hair gel.

giphy.gif

Boruk got absolutely roasted on Twitter for that article.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
So are we saying age 23 is when we give up on prospects? Since people seems to despise Hagg haha. He obviously won't grow or improve his game in anyway.

Hagg has a very low ceiling. He just doesn't have many NHL skills. He does good work in 1 on 1 battles but his passing and shooting is AHL level at best and his skating is below average at the NHL level. His vision is non-existent. There's just not much he is gonna be able to do at this level.

WheresMySnare

Mar 9, 2018
I don't have the list of UFA defenseman but is there any available who would be an upgrade? Seems like with Morin shut down, Hagg is almost guaranteed a top 6 role. Maybe trade Haggg for a similar underachieving young defenseman

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
As has been repeated 1000 times....

Hagg is a waste of time because he also sucked in the AHL. This isn’t a player who was great at lower levels and is taking some time to adjust. He just legitmately sucked and it’s not reasonable to expect him to become good at things in the NHL when he can’t even do it against weak competition in the AHL. Age is irrelevant when the problem is simply skill and smarts.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I don't see what's wrong with Boruk's article. I appreciate an article that is willing to report a bad game instead of just blowing smoke.

I didn't get to watch the game, but I want to know how the team's top prospects did -- good or bad. And it sounds like Sanheim had a couple brutal errors. There's nothing wrong with reporting that. An article isn't bad just because it reports things people don't want to hear or don't want to believe is true. And even in the article Boruk says to chalk it up just to one bad game. But his point rings true that Sanheim will have to clean up the bad turnovers if he wants to get more minutes in the NHL.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
The problem with adding anyone who is an real upgrade is going to cost huge dollars and term. you are bidding against 50% of the teams teams, Kane who i hate got 7 mil for 7 years omg what is a real upgrade going to cost . If you get mild upgrades you are just blocking kids from coming up and most on here don't get that , you add an mid caliber D man Myers or Sanheim or would have Morin will not all be here which happens to be what most people on here want. I go back to, i want to be patient but i want to win now , I want the rookies here now but i want significant players added in free agency . You can't have both that's the reality no matter how much you want it. Do you really think Hextall is a moron , hey i'll go sign Tavares the add Carlson then Doughty then for shits and giggles: Karllson and then i phone LA and see if they will give me Quick next to nothing cause we need him more than they do. Oh yea Mr Betmen Philly's Cap is now 100 mil cause we need it so we can win now and what's that , naa screw the other 30 teams it's all about us.. Like really, some of you guys just don't get the business side of hockey at all . Sorry for the rant

flyersjim73

Nov 19, 2011
Philly
I don't see what's wrong with Boruk's article. I appreciate an article that is willing to report a bad game instead of just blowing smoke.

I didn't get to watch the game, but I want to know how the team's top prospects did -- good or bad. And it sounds like Sanheim had a couple brutal errors. There's nothing wrong with reporting that. An article isn't bad just because it reports things people don't want to hear or don't want to believe is true. And even in the article Boruk says to chalk it up just to one bad game. But his point rings true that Sanheim will have to clean up the bad turnovers if he wants to get more minutes in the NHL.

The issue isn’t reporting a bad game - it’s reporting a bad game and acting like that it’s been that way the whole season. It’s reporting a bad game and acting like that’s why they can’t be NHL defensemen (as if NHL defensemen don’t have bad games). Also, as already pointed out, to be able to try to rip analytics and then use them to try to make a point in the same sentence is just epically stupid. What was wrong with the article wasn’t reporting them having a bad game - it was literally everything else.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Sanheim did screw the pooch in the 1st period, making the same mistakes he made when he first came up in Philly. I don't get bent out of shape, he's 21, he probably won't be reliable for a couple more seasons - but that's part of a rebuild, living with growing pains, there's a reason players need time to adjust to the NHL, then time to adjust to the pressure of NHL playoffs - just look at Nico, great rookie season, MIA in the playoffs. In two years, he'll probably be a dominant playoff center, but right now he just ain't ready for primetime.

And if he doesn't bear down, nothing is guaranteed, Pitkanen was a #4 pick, instant success, then flatlined the rest of his career and never lived up to his potential.

It takes time and hard coaching to turn a talented prospect into a talented, reliable player (someone who helps you win, not just fill a stat sheet).

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
The issue isn’t reporting a bad game - it’s reporting a bad game and acting like that it’s been that way the whole season. It’s reporting a bad game and acting like that’s why they can’t be NHL defensemen (as if NHL defensemen don’t have bad games). Also, as already pointed out, to be able to try to rip analytics and then use them to try to make a point in the same sentence is just epically stupid. What was wrong with the article wasn’t reporting them having a bad game - it was literally everything else.
I think fans are overreacting, as they tend to be defensive and overprotective of the team's high-profile prospects.

Boruk said in the article, "Chalk this up as one bad game."

His point wasn't that they can't be NHL defensemen; it was that they still have a ways to go before you can count on them to be a reliable tandem at the NHL level, and that the first 7 minutes of the last AHL playoff game showed that they still make plays that pro coaches don't like.

Where I think he misses, though, is ignoring that Myers and Sanheim would probably be split up in the NHL and paired with a more defense-oriented partner.

Anyway, I know Flyers fans hate Boruk and love the prospects, but I think the general reaction to this article was more exasperated than it deserved.

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
The problem with adding anyone who is an real upgrade is going to cost huge dollars and term. you are bidding against 50% of the teams teams, Kane who i hate got 7 mil for 7 years omg what is a real upgrade going to cost . If you get mild upgrades you are just blocking kids from coming up and most on here don't get that , you add an mid caliber D man Myers or Sanheim or would have Morin will not all be here which happens to be what most people on here want. I go back to, i want to be patient but i want to win now , I want the rookies here now but i want significant players added in free agency . You can't have both that's the reality no matter how much you want it. Do you really think Hextall is a moron , hey i'll go sign Tavares the add Carlson then Doughty then for ****s and giggles: Karllson and then i phone LA and see if they will give me Quick next to nothing cause we need him more than they do. Oh yea Mr Betmen Philly's Cap is now 100 mil cause we need it so we can win now and what's that , naa screw the other 30 teams it's all about us.. Like really, some of you guys just don't get the business side of hockey at all . Sorry for the rant

im confused what is your point? do you the kids here or vets here?

orangey

perpetual mediocrity
Aug 9, 2008
Internet
Hagg is fine as a stay at home D. Was just his rookie year and he can still become more steady and he adds a needed physical element. Not every D needs to play like Gost in order to be effective.

Reactions: renberg

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
As has been repeated 1000 times....

Hagg is a waste of time because he also sucked in the AHL. This isn’t a player who was great at lower levels and is taking some time to adjust. He just legitmately sucked and it’s not reasonable to expect him to become good at things in the NHL when he can’t even do it against weak competition in the AHL. Age is irrelevant when the problem is simply skill and smarts.

but he's safe!

Reactions: Striiker

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Hagg is fine as a stay at home D. Was just his rookie year and he can still become more steady and he adds a needed physical element. Not every D needs to play like Gost in order to be effective.
Thank you. The Hagg hate on here is ridiculous. He had a very good rookie year. Solid on D. Only physical presence after Gudas, who turned into a putty-tat after his suspension. Big strong kid who skates well and can defend big and/or fast players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad