Prospect Info: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I wouldn't say very good. He struggled too much at puck possession, for that. But he could get better in that aspect of the game.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Thank you. The Hagg hate on here is ridiculous. He had a very good rookie year. Solid on D. Only physical presence after Gudas, who turned into a putty-tat after his suspension. Big strong kid who skates well and can defend big and/or fast players.

Depends on what you value. He is a total zero with the puck on his stick. He's basically only NHL level at winning board battles. Defends the rush pretty well. Not a very good PKer. Gets lost in coverage on the cycle (could improve there) and is a total zero with the puck on his stick and helping his team transition to offense.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
im confused what is your point? do you the kids here or vets here?
I'm all in for adding maybe one vet but not at huge dollars and term which is what you have to do to land one that is worth your while. We are to many holes away to think we are a contender for atleast a couple more years. So signing a stop gap vet for a couple years that is declining during our true chance years will just block you financially from being able to aquire player or players when the real time is right. Put the kids in when ready till we start competing with them then go and aquire. But people on here say we need a top goalie a top 4 d couple top forwards then the same ones complain about not giving the kids a chance to play . Our time is not right to aquire some top players . Am i a little clearer now

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
I'm all in for adding maybe one vet but not at huge dollars and term which is what you have to do to land one that is worth your while. We are to many holes away to think we are a contender for atleast a couple more years. So signing a stop gap vet for a couple years that is declining during our true chance years will just block you financially from being able to aquire player or players when the real time is right. Put the kids in when ready till we start competing with them then go and aquire. But people on here say we need a top goalie a top 4 d couple top forwards then the same ones complain about not giving the kids a chance to play . Our time is not right to aquire some top players . Am i a little clearer now

im not against the young players but just going by what vegas and washington has, hextall has to get more experience players like 1 or 2 year deals to fill out the depth on this roster on cheap contracts, maybe they might win a cup doing it this way. more experience the better.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
There’s two types of people.

People who think Hagg had a good rookie year and people who realize you have to actually be able to play hockey in 2018, not just be strong and completely unskilled.

Reactions: bennysflyers16

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
im not against the young players but just going by what vegas and washington has, hextall has to get more experience players like 1 or 2 year deals to fill out the depth on this roster on cheap contracts, maybe they might win a cup doing it this way. more experience the better.
But the problem is you are not going to get these players on 1-2 year deals someone else will be offering them longer and if they are fairly good it would be much bigger and longer. Vegas has been a fluke and the players they got have over achieved , if you did 10 more expansion the same way there is no way it is repeated so don't use vegas as the norm. That said good for them ,it's a great story.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Hagg's had the coaching telling him that he was doing everything right and as a result doesn't seem to be in-line to develop the offensive part of his game. He could and should be better, he could and should develop into a better player, but good chance right now that he won't. He was not scratched for poor play, just Hakstol's antiquated veteran leadership notion, when that's not what he was hired to do.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I am trying to remember what the expectations were for Hagg when he was drafted because I do remember a good number of people being very pleased that he was available in the 2nd round.

He was a name player who saw his stock drop & eventually found himself in the second round when all was said & done. Those guys always get hyped after the draft on these forums as “steals”. You have guys like Brandon Saad who bounced back & proved whatever happened was a fluke. But in most cases these guys usually justify their drop in the long run & stagnate.

Hagg’s just not a toolsy player & hasn’t really progressed much if at all since being drafted justifying that drop.

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
Hagg may be the most evolved prospect we have. He was drafted as a puckmover who could turn into a two way guy and now that hes made it plays a very safe stay at home game. Thats just what a guy with his legs are at the nhl level. I much prefer him to manning who thought he was much more talented than he was. I like haggs decision making though i think he can improve in a few areas. Pk being one of them. He was a decent depth guy who projects as a steady 5/6 with pretty good odds to reach his potential. I don't forsee a norris trophy in his future but if he really takes off i could see him as ghosts partner on the second pairing

Reactions: renberg

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
He sure as f*** can't move the puck, so I guess he devolved.

"Safe" isn't the right word, he's ultra-passive. Also, he's not good defensively, it's just that he never even attempts to do anything else.

I could absolutely see him as a 2nd pair guy again next year, but only because of Hakstol, not because Hagg belongs there. The guy just isn't NHL quality, same as any player who is literally good at nothing at all.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Same story, different day. Our players have zero passing options breaking out of the defensive zone and neutral zone.

If they are lucky enough to even dump the puck in we have a 1 man forecheck while every other Phantoms player changes.

4 SOG in the 1st period. Nice adjustments, Scott.

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Same story, different day. Our players have zero passing options breaking out of the defensive zone and neutral zone.

If they are lucky enough to even dump the puck in we have a 1 man forecheck while every other Phantoms player changes.

4 SOG in the 1st period. Nice adjustments, Scott.

They look like a mens league team.

Hextall EXTENDED this guy.

How do people still have faith in Hextall?

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

Brayden Fattison

Mar 4, 2013
I am trying to remember what the expectations were for Hagg when he was drafted because I do remember a good number of people being very pleased that he was available in the 2nd round.
The EP blurb was pretty typical:
A two-way defenseman. Hägg is capable of playing a pure defensive role, logging big minutes on the penalty kill, as well as contributing offensively and being valuable in power play situations. Furthermore, Hägg has good size and strength, very good vision, a heavy release and is also a mobile defenseman. Some consistency issues, although Hägg usually makes smarter plays while playing in the big league, rather than in the juniors. Lots of potential (EP, 2013)
The consensus was that he was a skilled puck mover prone to brainfarts.

Reactions: BernieParent

gertbfrobe16

Feb 3, 2018
watching the way our guys play and are being developed/coached gives me great hope for the future and us becoming contenders in 2 to 5 more years.

Reactions: Rebels57
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad