Prospect Info: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I LIVED for The Hockey News back in the day - I was shipwrecked in St. Louis, much as I am shipwrecked in the jungle now (melting, starving, battling snakes), and it was one of the only times every week I'd ever hear a peep about the Flyers. The Draft Preview was just heaven (the best being 1990, when I spent months praying we'd draft Mike Ricci after they called him the next Bobby Clarke).

I read it last year for the first time in a long time - I actually read both the Draft Preview and Future Watch - and it really shined a light on how completely different the landscape is now with the internet. Whoever handled our team's assets was just off in so many ways, but they are part of a (media) team putting that thing together and can't focus on one (NHL) team, and thus lack the expertise that guys who keep their eyes on one prize do. It was a great source of collective and collected information in the past, but on last year's evidence, it seems pretty much cooked in that regard. It makes me sad to write that.
I know I said I don't read....but those to mags are the only 2 I get every year. Look at this propaganda.

image.jpg

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
We are very thin at Left wing, we lack players can skate and are physical, we lack scoring it seems pretty clear to me that a team like us would have interest in a 26 year old winger who can score.

That didn't address my response. Kane is a luxury. Last time I checked, Kane is not a top pairing defenseman nor is he a steady top ~10 goaltender. If Kane was one of those, ok maybe he could give us a chance to be a surprised contender.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
That didn't address my response. Kane is a luxury. Last time I checked, Kane is not a top pairing defenseman nor is he a steady top ~10 goaltender. If Kane was one of those, ok maybe he could give us a chance to be a surprised contender.

A luxury? Our two best left wingers are a top 5 center playing out of position and a rookie with 1 goal.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Still much rather get experience in for Lindblom.

Pssh. It'd be much better to spend an asset on Kane so we can not win a cup and then let him walk after the playoffs. Or better yet, we could've re-signed him to a goofy UFA contract that's destined to turn out poorly so that he could block Lindblom and other prospects for the next 8 years.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
You need to prove that first before making such claim. So show me how acquiring kane would be a dense move.

?
I truly don'ty know what response you are referring to. The one where you question my mental health?
Because Hextall is not trading away good assets to add a rental when we are not contenders. It really is simple. And if you think we ARE or COULD BE contenders, then that's on you.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Because Hextall is not trading away good assets to add a rental when we are not contenders. It really is simple. And if you think we ARE or COULD BE contenders, then that's on you.

What if i told you there is Proof that he added a rental , gave up good assets , this year.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
What if i told you there is Proof that he added a rental , gave up good assets , this year.
Giving up a 3rd when your other options are running with Lyon and Tokarski, is not a bad thing.

And knowing that he is already giving up that 3rd, he was not going to give up a 2nd as well knowing he had Lindblom in the AHL who he likely wanted to get in NHL action this year.

This isn't a hard concept to understand. You just like to argue. Everyone knows your shtick.

mja

Jan 7, 2005
You have yet to explain it, if you are incapable then do not make such false claims.

Ahem...

I don't get the clamoring to make moves at the deadline. No realistic move makes us into a contender. Just seems like a waste trading for a E.Kane, Grabner, Cole, Vanek, etc.

Ditto.

What's the point?

Kane doesn't make us a legit cup contender. He just costs an asset and then we have to either let him go or offer him a UFA contract so that he can block a younger, cheaper player. There's just no point to that. All you're doing is pissing away a pick for no real gain.

The time will come, and soon at that, when trading a high pick for a rental makes a ton of sense, but it wasn't this year.

Pssh. It'd be much better to spend an asset on Kane so we can not win a cup and then let him walk after the playoffs. Or better yet, we could've re-signed him to a goofy UFA contract that's destined to turn out poorly so that he could block Lindblom and other prospects for the next 8 years.

And those are just my posts (plus the first one I responded to). Others have also fully elaborated as to why acquiring Kane would have made no f***ing sense. You're just being obtuse, per usual.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Giving up a 3rd when your other options are running with Lyon and Tokarski, is not a bad thing.

And knowing that he is already giving up that 3rd, he was not going to give up a 2nd as well knowing he had Lindblom in the AHL who he likely wanted to get in NHL action this year.

This isn't a hard concept to understand. You just like to argue. Everyone knows your shtick.

I will stop arguing with you as soon as you come around and understand where i am coming from which in all honesty , is not that far fetched or hard to conceive idea. Your inability to atleast see my pov is what is actually causing this argument.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Ahem...

And those are just my posts (plus the first one I responded to). Others have also fully elaborated as to why acquiring Kane would have made no ****ing sense. You're just being obtuse, per usual.

And i have already explained by You can't call us non contender when 1) that line combo i posted that had kane on it would give us 3 great scoring lines. and 2) Yesterday we iced our best Defense since 2011.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Where does that come from? Schenn never complained about anything
To his credit, he didn't complain publicly, but he was ecstatic in post-trade interviews about finally getting the opportunity to play C in St. Louis that he didn't get in Philly. I heard him on sports radio in Toronto. Armstrong was also interviewed about going out to get a top C. Hexy discussed moving him to a place he could play C and said he thought he would play well, but he traded him nonetheless. Heck, centres make more money than wingers, so I'd want to play C too.

It all comes down to the fact that Schenn just isn't a very smart player, and Konecny beat him out for Team Canada at WCs, forcing Schenn to be the 13th Forward. Schenn got spot PP duty only, and his ticket out of Philly was written. Hexy was GM, Cooper Head Coach and Hakstol an assistant. I don't have anything against Brayden Schenn, i fact, i have defended him plenty on these boards. He's a good enough player, he can score on the PP , he's tough, he is a warrior. However, like Simmonds, he's just not good 5 v 5. Once the lottery delivered Patrick to be 2C, they could move Schenn for picks, promote Konecny and Lindblom, and draft Frost and whoever they get this year (as a bonus #1 for taking Lehtera's contract). Hexy looked at his long term roster and Brayden wasn't on it. We'll see if Simmonds is later...

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
And i have already explained by You can't call us non contender when 1) that line combo i posted that had kane on it would give us 3 great scoring lines. and 2) Yesterday we iced our best Defense since 2011.

We have a worse forward group, defensive group and even goaltending than we did in 2010.

We are getting closer. But chill...

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I will stop arguing with you as soon as you come around and understand where i am coming from which in all honesty , is not that far fetched or hard to conceive idea. Your inability to atleast see my pov is what is actually causing this argument.
Sure. You think we can catch lightning in a bottle like LA or Nashville. I think we are way too flawed and would rather keep those assets for when we ARE a contender.

If we were to go after a Kane, then we would have needed to add another very good Dman as well as a goalie better than Mrazek. Not to mention a much better #3 C than we currently have. Too many holes.

mja

Jan 7, 2005
On any given night, we're running at least 2 fringe NHL defenseman out there and giving them big minutes. Our goaltending is dubious. We have a shit coach. Our PK bleeds goals against and our 2nd PP unit can't score. We have at least 3 forwards who are utter dead weight. We're one of the youngest teams in the league. This wasn't the year to make a splash at the deadline. We'd just be pissing away assets.

Patience, young padawan. Patience.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Sure. You think we can catch lightning in a bottle like LA or Nashville. I think we are way too flawed and would rather keep those assets for when we ARE a contender.

If we were to go after a Kane, then we would have needed to add another very good Dman as well as a goalie better than Mrazek. Not to mention a much better #3 C than we currently have. Too many holes.

We already have our 3rd line center with Patrick, 1. giroux, 2 coots, 3 patrick. We also added a very good dman his name is sanheim. We went from having the worst dman in the league to a supremely talented dman in sanheim. That is a bigger upgrade than any team could have asked for sans Tampa Bay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad