Prospect Info: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
We still lack depth upfront. Is Giroux, Voracek, & Couturier a better trio than they had upfront? They are but they also don’t have four thoroughbreds moving the puck for them like Nashville did. Things have changed in regards to Pittsburgh lately. They’ve had our number since Sullivan got there.

The NHL isn’t like the NBA where you can pick the finals even going into the playoffs but there’s still tiers in the quality of teams. It’s not some ultimate crapshoot you’re making it out to be.

I thik our depth would have been more than fine had we made the cheap moves required to have depth. Its not a crapshoot, but it is also the least predictave playoff format in sports.

Since 2001, there have been 28 NHL playoff series between a No. 8 seed and a No. 1 seed.
22-6

Since 1984 it has happened in the nba 5 times. And that was with a 5 game playoff format.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I thik our depth would have been more than fine had we made the cheap moves required to have depth. Its not a crapshoot, but it is also the least predictave playoff format in sports.

Since 2001, there have been 28 NHL playoff series between a No. 8 seed and a No. 1 seed.
22-6

Since 1984 it has happened in the nba 5 times. And that was with a 5 game playoff format.

And what about the defense & goaltending?

I don’t even know what you’re trying to say here with these examples.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
This team has real hard time scoring all year and you don't think giving up a 2nd rounder to get Kane would be a good idea?
Look at this forward core

Raffl Giourx Konecny
Kane Coots Simmer
Lindblom Patrick Voracek
Flip Laughton Weal

Flip and raffl could change spots accoridingly.

That forward core plus now a legit 6 dmen gives us the best roster we have had in years.

Kane doesn't make us a legit cup contender. He just costs an asset and then we have to either let him go or offer him a UFA contract so that he can block a younger, cheaper player. There's just no point to that. All you're doing is pissing away a pick for no real gain.

The time will come, and soon at that, when trading a high pick for a rental makes a ton of sense, but it wasn't this year.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
To pull a playoff upset in the NHL, you usually need a hot goalie, like Neuvirth a couple years ago against the Caps.
Does anyone have confidence in Mrazek/Lyon or even Elliott carrying the team for a couple playoff series?

This simply wasn't the year to throw all our chips into the center of the table (actually the only year is when the window is closing).
Next year, if we get to the trade deadline, and the top two lines are set, we have a solid third line, and two D-pairs, then you trade some minor assets for depth and injury insurance.

Raffl Giroux Konecny
Kane Coots Simmer

These two lines would be a heck of a gamble, can Giroux carry a line at center anymore?
Would Couts fit well with Kane and Simmonds?
That's a lot to spend a 2nd rd pick on.

If I were trading a 2nd rd pick, it would be to:
a) move up with our 1st rd pick in the 2018 draft to target a specific player
b) pick up a young (22-23) forward I can extend on a RFA who'd solidify the 3rd line.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
To pull a playoff upset in the NHL, you usually need a hot goalie, like Neuvirth a couple years ago against the Caps.
Does anyone have confidence in Mrazek/Lyon or even Elliott carrying the team for a couple playoff series?

This simply wasn't the year to throw all our chips into the center of the table (actually the only year is when the window is closing).
Next year, if we get to the trade deadline, and the top two lines are set, we have a solid third line, and two D-pairs, then you trade some minor assets for depth and injury insurance.

Raffl Giroux Konecny
Kane Coots Simmer

These two lines would be a heck of a gamble, can Giroux carry a line at center anymore?
Would Couts fit well with Kane and Simmonds?
That's a lot to spend a 2nd rd pick on.

If I were trading a 2nd rd pick, it would be to:
a) move up with our 1st rd pick in the 2018 draft to target a specific player
b) pick up a young (22-23) forward I can extend on a RFA who'd solidify the 3rd line.

Have you seen Giroux play this year? One of the best forwards in the game. Giroux's struggles from last year and success this year has nothing to do with a position change but rather a fully functional healthy body. Why wouldn't he be able to carry hiss own line.

2nd round picks are worth the gamble for a proven scoreer such as kane even as a rental. He is over a ppg once has been able to play with competent players. Since 2000, our most successful 2nd round pick has been Robert hagg.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Have you seen Giroux play this year? One of the best forwards in the game. Giroux's struggles from last year and success this year has nothing to do with a position change but rather a fully functional healthy body. Why wouldn't he be able to carry hiss own line.

2nd round picks are worth the gamble for a proven scoreer such as kane even as a rental. He is over a ppg once has been able to play with competent players. Since 2000, our most successful 2nd round pick has been Robert hagg.

Why do people ignore Giroux's two seasons before last year when he wasn't nearly as good as this season?

It's pretty obvious to me that playing LW with Couts revived his career, and one can't assume he'd have played nearly as well at center, especially without a top LW. Not saying he'd be a bad player, but Giroux as a 2C isn't as valuable as Giroux as a 1LW.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Sounds a bit like TK with a thicker body, TK has a nasty streak, maybe it's the "chip on the shoulder" in short guys.
There is a fine line between being aggressive and being stupid.
Rinaldo didn't even know there was a line, Gudas keeps tripping over it.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
You can't wait for perfect conditions to win a cup. You can't wait till are your best players are at their peak. the only reason why we are not cup contenders is because you don't think we are.

Ottawa had the 6th most points of any team in the east last year. Nashville was an 8 seed last year. You can't say that, because you do not know.

You seem to be a big time "pro" evander kane kind of person. But, I am concerned for your mental well-being if you think he is going to be the piece that even gives us a chance to become a surprise contender.

IronMarshal

Mar 7, 2002
Langhorne, PA
Visit site
I have always had a soft spot for The Hockey News. Back in the day it was my sole source of information on junior players. I remember following the Brandon Wheat Kings and wondering if the Flyers had a shot at Brian Propp (my first choice), Ray Allison, Laurie Boschman and Brad McCrimmon. Today I look forward to a few issues, the Draft Preview, and Future Watch being my two favorites. The Draft Issue is good for the price, but the info out their on the net with numerous draft guides really is where I get most of my draft info (plus guys like Appleyard, NKI, and a few other posters here, I'm looking at you Magua, Stizzle, and LOD.
All that said, while I enjoy Future Watch, I am left scratching my head year after year at some of the ratings they have. This year, I look at Morgan Frost at #44. OK, so he was a surprise first round pick (whom I had no problem with them taking, and was actually hoping that he would last until their first pick in the second), but to rank him at 44, and Robert Thomas at 8, and Nick Suzuki at 27, and Jordan Kyrou at 12 and Sam Steel at 17, I have to wonder, Why? I really liked Thomas and especially Suzuki in last years draft, but I doubt either is better, let alone that much better than Morgan Frost is now. Would any of us trade Frost for either player? Maybe some might, but I'll bet more Flyer fans would rather have Frost. Same for Kyrou, who is a year older, same with Steel. They are all terrific prospects, but Frost is arguably as good as any of them. Makes you wonder.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Sounds a bit like TK with a thicker body

tenor.gif

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
You seem to be a big time "pro" evander kane kind of person. But, I am concerned for your mental well-being if you think he is going to be the piece that even gives us a chance to become a surprise contender.

We are very thin at Left wing, we lack players can skate and are physical, we lack scoring it seems pretty clear to me that a team like us would have interest in a 26 year old winger who can score.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I have always had a soft spot for The Hockey News. Back in the day it was my sole source of information on junior players. I remember following the Brandon Wheat Kings and wondering if the Flyers had a shot at Brian Propp (my first choice), Ray Allison, Laurie Boschman and Brad McCrimmon. Today I look forward to a few issues, the Draft Preview, and Future Watch being my two favorites. The Draft Issue is good for the price, but the info out their on the net with numerous draft guides really is where I get most of my draft info (plus guys like Appleyard, NKI, and a few other posters here, I'm looking at you Magua, Stizzle, and LOD.
All that said, while I enjoy Future Watch, I am left scratching my head year after year at some of the ratings they have. This year, I look at Morgan Frost at #44. OK, so he was a surprise first round pick (whom I had no problem with them taking, and was actually hoping that he would last until their first pick in the second), but to rank him at 44, and Robert Thomas at 8, and Nick Suzuki at 27, and Jordan Kyrou at 12 and Sam Steel at 17, I have to wonder, Why? I really liked Thomas and especially Suzuki in last years draft, but I doubt either is better, let alone that much better than Morgan Frost is now. Would any of us trade Frost for either player? Maybe some might, but I'll bet more Flyer fans would rather have Frost. Same for Kyrou, who is a year older, same with Steel. They are all terrific prospects, but Frost is arguably as good as any of them. Makes you wonder.

I LIVED for The Hockey News back in the day - I was shipwrecked in St. Louis, much as I am shipwrecked in the jungle now (melting, starving, battling snakes), and it was one of the only times every week I'd ever hear a peep about the Flyers. The Draft Preview was just heaven (the best being 1990, when I spent months praying we'd draft Mike Ricci after they called him the next Bobby Clarke).

I read it last year for the first time in a long time - I actually read both the Draft Preview and Future Watch - and it really shined a light on how completely different the landscape is now with the internet. Whoever handled our team's assets was just off in so many ways, but they are part of a (media) team putting that thing together and can't focus on one (NHL) team, and thus lack the expertise that guys who keep their eyes on one prize do. It was a great source of collective and collected information in the past, but on last year's evidence, it seems pretty much cooked in that regard. It makes me sad to write that.

Reactions: Larry44
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad