Prospect Info: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Have you watched him yet? I know we were high on him because Hockey Prospect was this summer, though he certainly didn’t justify it early, but I really do like him, whatever he ends up as potential-wise. Because it’s hard to tell. Passes my eye test for sure. I certainly don’t separate him from someone like Sushko. I will go back and watch more before we do rankings again, but I might like him more than him actually. I’m not really sure.

No, I really haven't seen him. I've flipped on his games a few times and watched a couple shifts, but that's it.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
What kind of sadistic facist allows for the possibility of putting "The Reason" in someone's head?

You know what? Just for that, take this!

Best-Looking-Burger-Ever.jpg

giphy.gif

Note to self:

Dear Self,

In the future, maybe don't be so open with your vulnerabilities and soft spots. Cheers.

Yours in Christ,

Self

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
Recap of the the Flyers 2017 draft with seasons essentially coming to an end.

1st (2nd) F Nolan Patrick (NHL) 63GP 10G 14A 24P
1st (27th) F Morgan Frost (OHL) 67GP 42G 70A 112P
2nd (35th) F Isaac Ratcliffe (OHL) 67GP 41G 27A 68P

3rd (80th) G Kirill Ustimenko (MHL) 53GP .929SV% 1.81GAA 11SO
4th (106th) F Matthew Strome (OHL) 65GP 37G 31A 67P
4th (107th) F Maksim Sushko (OHL) 60GP 31G 29A 60P

5th (137th) F Noah Cates (USHL) 50GP 18G 28A 46P
6th (168th) F Olle Lycksell (SHL) 26GP 5G 2A 7P
7th (196th) D Wyatt Kalynuk (NCAA) 37GP 3G 22A 25P

Ones in bold have already signed contracts.
It's crazy that they picked 9 players and not a single one had a disappointing season.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
They absolutely killed it, didn't they? It's crazy to think that this crew is getting better at drafting than they already had been the two years previous, but they might actually be getting better. I'm sure luck plays a part too, but damn.
I was about to lose all faith after Hextall traded up for a 4th line roadkill in 2015 and the disappointment of some 2016 draftees, but my faith is slowly restoring. :sarcasm:

Now if the Blues could kindly **** off and stop winning, we could be adding some real nice high caliber talent once again.

onlylordsvsmorebp

HEAVYHOCKEY ENTHUSIAST
Dec 27, 2011
VAN ISLE CANADA
What kind of sadistic facist allows for the possibility of putting "The Reason" in someone's head?

You know what? Just for that, take this!

Best-Looking-Burger-Ever.jpg
where may i ask can these be acquired?? other than cristina g's(a swedish girl i went to school with) mondo tits...those are the two most beautiful things i have ever seen!!

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
They absolutely killed it, didn't they? It's crazy to think that this crew is getting better at drafting than they already had been the two years previous, but they might actually be getting better. I'm sure luck plays a part too, but damn.
Luck plays a huge part but I do think last year was the first one in Hextall’s tenure where he didn’t have any need he thought he had to fill, such as size at forward, and could just pick best player. I am curious to see what they do this year.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
They drafted the two biggest forwards in the organization last year. I really don’t think need drafting is the explanation. Similar patterns per usual. They just had a good draft up and down, like every year, but perhaps hitting with slightly higher frequency. 2016 post-1st still might be better in quality, or at least right there.

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
where may i ask can these be acquired?? other than cristina g's(a swedish girl i went to school with) mondo ****...those are the two most beautiful things i have ever seen!!

Sadly all I did as google "best looking cheeseburger". The image supposedly links to a blog but I can't even find the image on their site.

They are elusive beasts.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
They drafted the two biggest forwards in the organization last year. I really don’t think need drafting is the explanation. Similar patterns per usual. They just had a good draft up and down, like every year, but perhaps hitting with slightly higher frequency. 2016 post-1st still might be better in quality, or at least right there.
Dove-McFalls and Twarynski were both drafted for their size. I think Rubtsov was a need pick as well as Hextall swung for the fences on a top two center since there weren’t any in the system at the time. It remains to seen what kind of player Rubtsov develops into. You can also put Tomek and Fedotov in the need group to build up the goalie pipeline.

But all that’s nitpicking. Getting 3 NHL players out of any draft makes it highly successful. It looks like Hextall will have done that with every one of his drafts.

Reactions: Rebels57

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
2014:
#17 Sanheim
#48 NAK - good chance he starts next year
#86 Friedman - slow start but coming on, another year in the AHL and he'll push for a job
#138 Lindblom
#168 Fazlevev - looks like an AHL regular
#1998 Petterson

2015:
#7 Provorov
#24 Konecny
#70 Sandstrom - solid so far
#90 Tomek - finally healthy, jury still out
#98 Dove-McFalls - WHIFF
#104 Vorobyov - may go back to AHL, should start within 2 years
#128 Kase - solid debut in the SHL
#158 Marody - top NCAA scorer
#188 Fedotov

2016:
#22 Rubtsov
#36 Laberge
#48 Hart - top goalie in junior hockey
#52 Allison - top NCAA scorer until knee injury
#82 Twarynski - solid checker with breakout post-draft (2) season, see what he has in the AHL
#109 Bunnaman - disappointing season, should play wing in LHV, that might be his ticket
#139 Hogberg - solid SHL debut, should improve the next two years there
#169 Laczynski - top NCAA scorer
#172 Salinitri
#199 Bernhardt - solid SHL season, good playoff start, sleeper

First three years of drafting weren't bad either.
2016 seems a bit disappointing at the top, but too early to write off Rubtsov and Laberge, and the rest of the draft was almost as good as last year.
You can see why Holmgren tries to get a later round pick thrown into every deal.

Reactions: FlyTimmo

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
What about Hextall makes you think he would draft for positional need?
He has stated from the beginning his philosophy is you win down the middle; goaltending, defense, center. His first pick in each of his first two drafts was a defenseman. The 3rd draft he took a center first. Cross reference that with his first 3 drafts in LA: first pick was a defenseman (Hickey) defenseman(Doughty) and then a center (Schenn).

NicolasAubeKubel

Mar 3, 2018
Yeah NVM. One of Weise/Leier/Lehtera will definitely be back in the lineup. Ugh.

It was nice seeing an optimal lineup for one game.

Les Averman

Mar 3, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
Recap of the the Flyers 2017 draft with seasons essentially coming to an end.

1st (2nd) F Nolan Patrick (NHL) 63GP 10G 14A 24P
1st (27th) F Morgan Frost (OHL) 67GP 42G 70A 112P
2nd (35th) F Isaac Ratcliffe (OHL) 67GP 41G 27A 68P

3rd (80th) G Kirill Ustimenko (MHL) 53GP .929SV% 1.81GAA 11SO
4th (106th) F Matthew Strome (OHL) 65GP 37G 31A 67P
4th (107th) F Maksim Sushko (OHL) 60GP 31G 29A 60P

5th (137th) F Noah Cates (USHL) 50GP 18G 28A 46P
6th (168th) F Olle Lycksell (SHL) 26GP 5G 2A 7P
7th (196th) D Wyatt Kalynuk (NCAA) 37GP 3G 22A 25P

Ones in bold have already signed contracts.

I haven't heard too much about Kalynuk besides that he has a heavy shot from the point, but that's a hell of a stat line for a 7th round, freshman DMan playing in the Big 10, IMO

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Not sure how that works with sanheim on emergency call up.

Sanheim is on regular callup now.
If off the current roster, Lehtera, the bottom six is too soft to put Leier out there and Weise, well . . .
But they have the option to bring up NAK and move Read to LW, but is he better off coming up or playing a big role in an AHL playoff push?

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
What about Hextall makes you think he would draft for positional need?

They drafted 3 defensemen in round 1 prior to 2016 because they desperatly needed to hit on one of those.

As a consequence, going into the 2016 draft they didn't have a single prospect with top-6 center upside in the system as Laughton was entering bust territory and Vorobyev was a long shot and they went out to grab a center as everyone expected.

When was the last draft where they actually didn't draft for positional needs?
It's always BPA by position starting from 2013 onwards.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Raffl out two weeks. Does that mean Weise/Lehtera back in, or finally an Aube Kubel call up?

I would personally go with Leier and stick him on the 4th line with Read and Laughton. At least against Detroit who emphasizes speed instead of size. Either way, they will be a 4th line and play less than 10 minutes.

Top 3 lines should be..

28 - 14 - 11
54 - 19 - 93
40 - 51 - 17

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
They drafted 3 defensemen in round 1 prior to 2016 because they desperatly needed to hit on one of those.

As a consequence, going into the 2016 draft they didn't have a single prospect with top-6 center upside in the system as Laughton was entering bust territory and Vorobyev was a long shot and they went out to grab a center as everyone expected.

When was the last draft where they actually didn't draft for positional needs?
It's always BPA by position starting from 2013 onwards.
The 2013 draft was a pretty big example of drafting for need over talent. In the video the organization released they had Holmgren questioning the scouts for having Morin ahead of Monahan on their board. You even just said yourself they were desperate for defensemen from 2013 thru 2015 hoping one hits. Don’t you think that desperation played a part in their rankings?

I am not saying Hextall has gone way off the board to fill positional needs, especially in the first round. But wanting to fill certain areas can effect rankings as the 2013 draft video showed.

Reactions: Jtown

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I haven't heard too much about Kalynuk besides that he has a heavy shot from the point, but that's a hell of a stat line for a 7th round, freshman DMan playing in the Big 10, IMO

Yeah he’s older as a last year draft entry but watching him this year I think there’s NHL potential there. He’s kind of like a poor man’s Sanheim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad