Prospect Info: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I do like how Ghost's success is heavily credited to Hagg's steady play for him........but the idea of Hagg's success being heavily due to Ghost being incredible this season isn't really brought up by some.

Truth is they've been a nice complement to each other, but by my eye I see Ghost doing most of the work up and down the ice. Then Hagg fills in the gaps, especially along the boards and giving Ghost the puck after, while generally keeping up elsewhere. Credit to him; he's been good. Full stop. But I also think waiting on declaring him the next shutdown Hjalmarsson type is more than fair. Not sure why he can't just be a steady, pairing versatile 4/5 right now.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Laughton was awful two years ago, he wasn't better than PEB, which is why he was in the AHL.
When he showed that he had learned how to play, Hextall protected him and exposed PEB and Raffl.

He was still one of the best 5v5 scorers on the team and PEB was one of the worst in the entire league. Laughton was a better player last year and this year he's only making it that much more obvious.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I like Hagg's game. He seems to mesh well with Ghost. If we didn't have so many young prospects, we would all be gushing over him.
He's looked pretty good and he seems to be a legit NHL defensemen.

Again, all I said was that the others are better, not that he's bad. For some reason that was seen as some vicious assault on Hagg.

Provorov and Ghost are better, I don't think anyone would debate that. I also think Sanheim and Morin are better based on a large sample size, but they haven't been given the opportunity to prove it.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Sanheim is struggling, if you can't see that, go schedule an appointment with an Optometrist.
Hagg is clearly better RIGHT NOW.
Morin is certainly a physical presence, but he's an adventure with the puck. Which is probably why he's back in the AHL, it's not unusual for big D-men to take some time to develop. He's only 22, not exactly ancient for a D-man prospect.

If Morin was a RH D-man, he'd probably have had a better shot at sticking. Right now things are a bit awkward from Hextall's perspective, he has a lot of young developing D-men, maybe "too many" in the sense of fitting them together in the NHL. Myers is an easier fit than Morin, as is Hagg.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
If Ghost doesn't have an anchor to lug around, he can get his mojo going without worrying. Hagg, even as a rookie is allowing him to do that. Therian was pretty garbage when he didn't play against Jagr, but he complemented Desjardins. Hagg is hopefully just one of those players that allows a more talented counterpart to excel.

Reactions: IronMarshal

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
He was still one of the best 5v5 scorers on the team and PEB was one of the worst in the entire league. Laughton was a better player last year and this year he's only making it that much more obvious.

Laughton did not fit on the 4th line or the PK two years ago, and he's simply not a top 9 center (maybe a LW, which is where I suspect he may move in the future when Vorobyev, Rubtsov and Frost join the team). He lacks ice vision and is not a good passer (Patrick at 19 is far superior after 6 NHL games), he's best driving plays with speed and size, which is why he's such a good fit on a checking line.

So he wasn't as good as PEB for the role he was slotted to play.
Which is why he was sent back to the AHL.
To his credit, he embraced that role, excelled on the PK, and has continued that solid play on his return.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I'm seeing double standards...

Morin is an adventure with the puck? OK, sure, sometimes that's true. But there's times when he makes great outlet passes and intelligently moves the puck. He was really impressive at times during the preseason.

Hagg isn't perfect either. He does the patented Gordon zone clear of slapping it up the boards too often and he's iced the puck plenty of times on bad passes.

It goes both ways. Both guys can be good or bad, so lets not make it sound like one is super safe while the other is a mess.

Reactions: Peacekeeper

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
"The Farmer thing" is the exact same logic you're using, if you believe one then you must believe the other. I'm glad you see how ridiculous it was though... that's the point.

If you don't think that's patronising, I have no words for you.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Laughton did not fit on the 4th line or the PK two years ago, and he's simply not a top 9 center (maybe a LW, which is where I suspect he may move in the future when Vorobyev, Rubtsov and Frost join the team). He lacks ice vision and is not a good passer (Patrick at 19 is far superior after 6 NHL games), he's best driving plays with speed and size, which is why he's such a good fit on a checking line.

So he wasn't as good as PEB for the role he was slotted to play.
Which is why he was sent back to the AHL.
To his credit, he embraced that role, excelled on the PK, and has continued that solid play on his return.
Whatever you gotta believe to defend the organization boo boo...

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
deadhead is confusing Hextall sending a player down to the AHL because he wants them to work on specific aspects of their game, with that player not being as good as a veteran.

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If Morin was RH, he might have beat out Hagg, because it would have been easier to put 3 pairs together.
As a LH, he's going to force another defenseman to play out of position, so he has to be more than equal to Hagg, he has to be clearly superior. Hagg's versitility is what probably won him the job.

One issue for Sanheim is if Provorov is LH only, and Ghost plays better on the left side, there's "ain't a lot of room at the inn." If he can play both sides it allows more opportunities to get PT. Especially if Morin comes up at some point.

Now Myers is an easy fit, he takes a RH spot. Myers, Gudas and Hagg/MacDonald.
Then you just have to figure out how to move MacDonald and the two years left on his contract.
But that may wait until the offseason, if Hextall feels he doesn't want to start too many rookies together.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Hagg could play both sides, they don't know which combinations are going to work out, but it was a lot easier to fit Hagg around other players than Morin.

If a rookie is clearly superior, Hextall moves out the veteran (bye bye Mr Schenn, Mr Read, here's your ticket to Allentown).
If there's a tie, I think Hextall would prefer the rookie get more seasoning, all else held equal (injuries, lineup issues, chemistry). He'd reather not eat a contract or sell low if it doesn't improve the team, and he feels it doesn't hurt rookies to get additional AHL experience.
But of course "if someone makes an offer you can't refuse," all bets are off.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Hagg is learning by playing.

Sanheim is learning nothing by watching.

Morin is learning nothing by only being in the AHL because there are too many rookies in Hex/Hak's eyes.

I don't buy the you need vets on d argument at all for a rebuilding/transitioning team.

Having said that, yes I really enjoy watching this team win, but all I really care about is a cup in the near future.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Hagg really excels because of his ability to play on the left and right side. Sanheim and Morin clearly prefer to be on the left and until otherwise I'm thinking you'll see Hagg on the roster and on RD. I think Hagg excelling is due to him being able to defer to Ghost and let him do his thing. The forwards are naturally going to want to pull towards Ghost when on the forecheck which gives Hagg a bit of room to operate even though he is on his off hand.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Bunnanan didn’t get an invite

tenor.gif
6.gif
tenor.gif

Seriously. SERIOUSLY. The only explanation is that they let chimpanzees pick random names out of a hat. It's ridiculous. It's like they don't even WANT to win. This really grinds my gears. I'm super cereal right now.

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca