Prospect Info: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
If anyone should be moved to make room, it's Hagg. He's pretty clearly the worst of the young D on the roster and has the lowest ceiling of all the D prospects. He's nothing special offensively and it's not like he's perfect defensively either.. he had a really bad screw up just last night.
So did Ghost when Bjustad lost him due to size and created the best scoring chance in the game.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Can you ever counter-argue without throwing a strawman.... The Farmer thing? really......

You have no proof that Morin and Sanheim are better NHL defenseman than him right now. No proof whatsoever. You keep spouting it like it's fact, but the fact is Hagg is playing great hockey on the roster and the other two are either benched or sitting in the minors.

I want Morin and Sanheim on the roster just as much as everyone else, but this constant drivel like they should drop Hagg is boring. It was fairly obvious that he was going to make the squad for opening night, yet you argued to the hilt that he wouldn't.
Sanheim might be better one day but he's soft in the corners,doesn't tie up sticks in front and really hasn't moved the puck that great at all. Hope he turns out.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Can you ever counter-argue without throwing a strawman.... The Farmer thing? really......

You have no proof that Morin and Sanheim are better NHL defenseman than him right now. No proof whatsoever. You keep spouting it like it's fact, but the fact is Hagg is playing great hockey on the roster and the other two are either benched or sitting in the minors.

I want Morin and Sanheim on the roster just as much as everyone else, but this constant drivel like they should drop Hagg is boring. It was fairly obvious that he was going to make the squad for opening night, yet you argued to the hilt that he wouldn't.
"The Farmer thing" is the exact same logic you're using, if you believe one then you must believe the other. I'm glad you see how ridiculous it was though... that's the point.

I watched all three players together last year in the AHL and each individually years before that. Morin and Sanheim were easily ahead of him last year and were better than him in the preseason. The fact that he's on the roster over them can be explained the same way that you can explain why Manning is in the lineup... so you repeatedly pointing out him being in a better place on the pecking order makes no sense and shows how weak your argument is.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
So did Ghost when Bjustad lost him due to size and created the best scoring chance in the game.
I never said Ghost was perfect, I'm only pointing out that Hagg isn't either. He's made mistakes like all the rest of them, except he doesn't have the offense to make up for it.

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
Over time, its absolutely fair to argue that Morin, Sanheim, Myers will be better than Hagg. Just because Hagg is in the NHL now doesn't mean he will necessarily be the better player. Hagg plays a simple game while Sanheim, Morin, and Myers to me have much more of an upside with a much higher ceiling. Hagg has a higher floor IMO but lower ceiling.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I have nothing against Hagg, it's just that Morin and Sanheim are better. I want the best possible roster playing... simple as that.

And yeah, he is the worst of the young D on the roster... or do you believe he's better than Provorov and Ghost?

The coach being incapable of evaluating talent doesn't magically make him better than the guys not playing. Or is MacDonald the 2nd best defensemen on the roster because he's ahead of others on the pecking order?

If Morin and Sanheim were better than Hagg, they'd be starting.
Now people confuse "better" with "more talented."
Morin is bigger than Hagg but not as fluid with the puck.
Sanheim is faster and more skilled offensively but not as physical or responsible defensively.
So there are no grounds to assume they're "better" right now.

A year from now, who knows.
Sanheim has a reputation as a slow starter, it's very possible he hits his stride by January and is starting and playing 20+ minutes a night. We'll see.
Morin is still a bit awkward as a skater, straight line fast but not great lateral agility, he may both improve his skating and learn how to compensate for his limitations and force his way back to Philly.

Last edited:

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
Hagg looks better in the NHL than he ever did in the AHL.

Agree 100%, and I think he is a great complement to Ghost, but I think Myers and Sanheim will definitely be better players. Not sure about Morin but the upside and right attitude is there for him to be a lockdown 2nd-3rd pairing guy.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Hagg looks better in the NHL than he ever did in the AHL.
Also true, but for all we know Morin would too. I've always thought he was the kind of defensmen who would look better with more structure instead of the chaos of juniors or the AHL. But he wasn't given the chance for some strange reason.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Then you sees 'em wrong. ;)
MrMagoo_6559.jpg

And "avoid groupthink"? Do you say the Sun is cold to avoid the groupthink who all say it's hot? Being unique shouldn't be more important than being correct.

You tend to confuse your opinions with objective facts.
I sew no reason to accept your delusions. :D
The "group" once thought the world was 6,000 years old, and burnt alive those who disagreed.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
If Morin and Sanheim were better than Hagg, they'd be starting.
Now people confuse "better" with "more talented."
Moring is bigger than Hagg but not as fluid with the puck.
Sanheim is faster and more skilled offensively but not as physical or responsible defensively.
So there are no grounds to assume they're "better" right now.

A year from now, who knows.
Sanheim has a reputation as a slow starter, it's very possible he hits his stride by January and is starting and playing 20+ minutes a night. We'll see.
Morin is still a bit awkward as a skater, straight line fast but not great lateral agility, he may both improve his skating and learn how to compensate for his limitations and force his way back to Philly.
Wrong.

By this logic Manning is better than Morin and Sanheim, which isn't true.

But yeah, I get it, gotta defend Hakstol.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
You tend to confuse your opinions with objective facts.
I sew no reason to accept your delusions. :D
The "group" once thought the world was 6,000 years old, and burnt alive those who disagreed.
Coming from you? Holy f*** :laugh:

And whether it's opinions or facts doesn't matter. Even when we show you objective facts, you ignore them since they kill your argument. This happens constantly.

The "they were a last resort, he had no other choice!" argument is a perfect example of that. You're wrong but can't admit it.

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
"The Farmer thing" is the exact same logic you're using, if you believe one then you must believe the other. I'm glad you see how ridiculous it was though... that's the point.

I watched all three players together last year in the AHL and each individually years before that. Morin and Sanheim were easily ahead of him last year and were better than him in the preseason. The fact that he's on the roster over them can be explained the same way that you can explain why Manning is in the lineup... so you repeatedly pointing out him being in a better place on the pecking order makes no sense and shows how weak your argument is.

You are so arrogant it's honestly hard to even respond to you. You literally belittle Hatcher and Deadhead for the exact same thing yet you can't even see when you do it yourself. Can you drop the patronising act, it makes you look like a fool. It's not needed.

Hagg is on the roster because he has outplayed Sanheim so far, that's not even debatable. It makes absolutely no difference whatsoever that Sanheim was better in the AHL. There are plenty of players who are all stars at the AHL level who can't cut it in the NHL (not that I'm saying this is the case before you start arguing this point....) As it currently stands Hagg has played the better hockey.

Manning is on the team because Hakstol is an idiot. Hagg is on it because he deserves to be there. How do you not understand this?

It's incredible that you talk about watching them play in the AHL, yet can never seem to understand that Hagg is a pretty safe player. He doesn't hit like Morin, or put up points like Sanheim though right, so he can't possibly be as good....

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Manning is on this team because Hextall wants the kids playing full-time in the AHl rather than sitting on the bench.
Manning is playing in front of Sanheim only because they want to work with Sanheim on a few issues before throwing him back out there - if they weren't planning to play Sanheim he'd be back in the AHL.
Manning is a placeholder, nothing more.

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
Deadhead offers a different opinion. Doesn't matter if it's right or wrong, attacking him for it is childish. It's the entire point in a forum.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Yeah and if Laughton was better than Bellemare last year he would have been on the rost...oh wait.

Laughton was awful two years ago, he wasn't better than PEB, which is why he was in the AHL.
When he showed that he had learned how to play, Hextall protected him and exposed PEB and Raffl.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Hagg is on the roster because he has outplayed Sanheim so far, that's not even debatable. It makes absolutely no difference whatsoever that Sanheim was better in the AHL. There are plenty of players who are all stars at the AHL level who can't cut it in the NHL (not that I'm saying this is the case before you start arguing this point....) As it currently stands Hagg has played the better hockey.

Hagg is on the roster because he outplayed Sanheim? He didn't in the preseason or last year in the AHL. So did they use their crystal ball and see the future?

Manning is on the team because Hakstol is an idiot. Hagg is on it because he deserves to be there. How do you not understand this?

It's incredible that you talk about watching them play in the AHL, yet can never seem to understand that Hagg is a pretty safe player. He doesn't hit like Morin, or put up points like Sanheim though right, so he can't possibly be as good....
:laugh: Oh boy. So Hakstol is an idiot when he disagrees with you but suddenly he's no longer an idiot when he agrees? Seems convenient.

Couldn't possibly be that he's wrong both times? Hmmmmmmmm...

I also never said Hagg isn't a "safe player". You're just making things up now. He doesn't take many risks, which is nice, but he still messes up. Problem is that he doesn't have the other skills that the other guys do, which makes up for mistakes.

I also wasn't being arrogant or patronizing. If that's what you got out of my post then you're reading into things that aren't there. Although "How do you not understand this?" seems a bit arrogant and patronizing... so maybe you're projecting?

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Over time, its absolutely fair to argue that Morin, Sanheim, Myers will be better than Hagg. Just because Hagg is in the NHL now doesn't mean he will necessarily be the better player. Hagg plays a simple game while Sanheim, Morin, and Myers to me have much more of an upside with a much higher ceiling. Hagg has a higher floor IMO but lower ceiling.
It's been fours year and unlike Sanheim and Myers, Morin's game hasn't come any closer to his ceiling/upside, whatever. At this point you are looking at more physical Coburn. How is that any different than Hagg?

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Deadhead offers a different opinion. Doesn't matter if it's right or wrong, attacking him for it is childish. It's the entire point in a forum.
Opinions can't be right or wrong. If something he says is wrong then it wasn't an opinion.. it was an incorrect statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00