Prospect Info: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Ghost rookie (age 22) 64g 9-15 24 ES
Provorov rookie (age 20) 82g 6-19 25 ES

Ghost is very good offensively, but it's not clear that some of our other young D-men won't eventually be as good.
Ghost is already 24, so what you see is about all you're gonna get, which ain't bad!
But Provorov is 21, Hagg is 22, Sanheim is 21, Myers is 20, Friedman is 21.
Lot's of room for improvement.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Seriously. The goal should be to have 6 guys that can all handle the puck well. Not 3.

here come the cliches.

Except we'll have 7 and Morin (Hagg can handle the puck as can Friedman, Morin not so much, more like Gudas).

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Flyers d right now are playing great but only really jump in the play if it's there. They all make the 5ft passes to spring our better forward group. We'll never have 6 puck movers at once on this team. Hagg should not be moved and Morin should be on would Gudas. Myers makes it and Provy and Ghost are on forsure. Sanheim for a good young forward and we'll be rolling. IMO of course.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Yep, what we have here is a Hak vs. Ghost situation. In fact, I see that Hak's mouthpiece has posted just above this.

EDIT: Not Tripod, obviously :laugh:
That's exactly what I keep saying. It's transparent bias that's causing this mischaracterization of our players.

Hakstol has benched TK and Ghost, so both get bashed. He took G out of center, so Giroux gets bashed. He's benched Sanheim, so Sanheim gets bashed.

Then on the other side, his children get defended against all logic. Vandevelde, Bellemare, Manning, etc....

I mean he accuses us of having bias towards Hakstol but he's far more biased in the opposite way. At least I can give Hak credit when he does things I agree with. On the other side deadhead refuses to ever admit when Hakstol screws up. When it's something he can't defend then suddenly he says wins don't matter this year....

Right now Hak showed he likes Hagg... so Hagg gets the overrating treatment. I also have no idea how Myers is a lock for anything...

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
If anyone should be moved to make room, it's Hagg. He's pretty clearly the worst of the young D on the roster and has the lowest ceiling of all the D prospects. He's nothing special offensively and it's not like he's perfect defensively either.. he had a really bad screw up just last night.

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
I don't think Ghost is as replaceable as deadhead is making it. Sanheim has the offensive talent to be great, but also the physical tools to be good on the defensive side of the puck. Its ok to have both on your roster. Its actually better that way.

Reactions: Striiker

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I don't think Ghost is as replaceable as deadhead is making it. Sanheim has the offensive talent to be great, but also the physical tools to be good on the defensive side of the puck. Its ok to have both on your roster. Its actually better that way.
That's because he isn't. Not even close.

For some reason it seems like the tweet isn't displaying properly... bottom half is cut off. So...
"10 PTS (1st among NHL D)
9 A (T-1st among NHL D)
6 PPP (1st among NHL D)
21:20 TOI"

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
Hagg is solid. No issue with him at all. Makes mistakes like everyone does.

I agree. His mistakes usually come from positioning around the net with unexpected plays. That's only going to improve with time

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
I love how we finally have a player with a fantastic shot (probably one of the best in the league) and people consider moving him. Blows my mind.

Reactions: wufuhimself

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I love how we finally have a player with a fantastic shot (probably one of the best in the league) and people consider moving him. Blows my mind.

Yup, one of the few guys who WANTS to shoot as much as possible. Maybe we should keep that guy.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
That's exactly what I keep saying. It's transparent bias that's causing this mischaracterization of our players.

Hakstol has benched TK and Ghost, so both get bashed. He took G out of center, so Giroux gets bashed. He's benched Sanheim, so Sanheim gets bashed.

Then on the other side, his children get defended against all logic. Vandevelde, Bellemare, Manning, etc....

I mean he accuses us of having bias towards Hakstol but he's far more biased in the opposite way. At least I can give Hak credit when he does things I agree with. On the other side deadhead refuses to ever admit when Hakstol screws up. When it's something he can't defend then suddenly he says wins don't matter this year....

Right now Hak showed he likes Hagg... so Hagg gets the overrating treatment. I also have no idea how Myers is a lock for anything...

I was bashing Giroux as a #1 center for years. He's clearly better at LW than he was at center in 2014-2016.

TK and Ghost both had (and to some extent still have) issues in terms of responsible defensive play, if you can't see that, you're blind.

I've watched Hagg, he plays a simple game, but has all the attributes you want in a stay home defensemen in today's NHL, size and will use it, good skater, can handle the puck, stays cool under offensive pressure. He was a 2nd rd pick, it's not like he's some stiff they promoted because they wanted a slug back there. He's the kind of compementary defenseman that you'd have been overjoyed to add 2-3 years ago.

I've never defended VdV, PEB and Manning as anything more than bottom of the roster fill-ins, used because Hextall deliberately refrained from paying for/trading for upgrades. He dumped Rinaldo and McGinn for draft picks, let a lot of veterans leave. Even when he traded for players, they were more "afterthoughts" to finish off deals, obtained Weal along with a 3rd in the Schenn/Vinnie trade (and dumped a lot of salary), Filppula along with a 4th and 7th for Streit. That ws a deliberate strategy that forced Berube and Hakstol to field a number of marginal talents the last three years. It's not like Cousins is tearing it up in Arizona, for example. Luby is back in Russia, Read in the AHL.

The only reason Manning returns next year is they don't want to bury a kid as the 7th defenseman, the only reason MacDonald returns (and he's playing like a real NHL defenseman these days) is Hextall can't find a taker for the last two years of his contract.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Flyers d right now are playing great but only really jump in the play if it's there. They all make the 5ft passes to spring our better forward group. We'll never have 6 puck movers at once on this team. Hagg should not be moved and Morin should be on would Gudas. Myers makes it and Provy and Ghost are on forsure. Sanheim for a good young forward and we'll be rolling. IMO of course.

We also can't pay for six "stars" on defense.
You want three "attack dogs" and three solid guys to pair with them who can make good decisions, are decent skaters and can efficiently move the puck out of the D-zone. Provorov can play both roles, maybe Myers? maybe Friedman?
In 2-3 years Hextall will have to make some tough roster decisions.
It's not like trading Cousins (and Madsen) for a 5th, it's going to be "use 'em or lose 'em" with some first rate prospects.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I'm not going to waste the time responding to that because you'll ignore it anyway.

But nobody has ever claimed those players are flawless or ignores their issues. You just constantly say blatently false things about them to serve your Hakstol agenda.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I calls 'em as I sees 'em.
No one is paying me.
But I tend to avoid "groupthink."

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
If anyone should be moved to make room, it's Hagg. He's pretty clearly the worst of the young D on the roster and has the lowest ceiling of all the D prospects. He's nothing special offensively and it's not like he's perfect defensively either.. he had a really bad screw up just last night.

In all honesty, what the hell do you have against this guy? The "worst young D on the roster" is currently ahead of Sanheim and Morin on the peking order it appears.....

I know it's painful for you to admit you were wrong, but this tirade against Hagg is a little painful to read. He's a big body, that's playing some lights out defense at the moment. He looks like he's got the potential to be a real shutdown defenseman with an above average outlet pass. Seems like a perfect defenseman to me.

Last edited:

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
In all honesty, what the hell do you have against this guy? The "worst young D on the roster" is currently ahead of Sanheim and Morin on the peking order it appears.....
I have nothing against Hagg, it's just that Morin and Sanheim are better. I want the best possible roster playing... simple as that.

And yeah, he is the worst of the young D on the roster... or do you believe he's better than Provorov and Ghost?

The coach being incapable of evaluating talent doesn't magically make him better than the guys not playing. Or is MacDonald the 2nd best defensemen on the roster because he's ahead of others on the pecking order?

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
If you can believe the chatter I'd heard from interviews, etc.

Flyers like to have a more offensive D man paired with a more defensive D man. That isn't written in stone as guys who can do both are treasures, but there certainly is a spot for Hagg on this team moving forward. Injuries happen, even to prospects, someone may get traded, moved-- NHL lineups change. The depth is a great problem to have and if it should come to a head, defensemen are easy to move (and usually for a good return), so Hextall will sort it. If he wants to keep a dream roster of future D men he just has to plan the contracts the right way. Some teams did a great job keeping their defensemen (Chicago), although the way signings are done isn't exactly the same.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I calls 'em as I sees 'em.
No one is paying me.
But I tend to avoid "groupthink."
Then you sees 'em wrong. ;)
MrMagoo_6559.jpg

And "avoid groupthink"? Do you say the Sun is cold to avoid the groupthink who all say it's hot? Being unique shouldn't be more important than being correct.

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
I have nothing against Hagg, it's just that Morin and Sanheim are better. I want the best possible roster playing... simple as that.

And yeah, he is the worst of the young D on the roster... or do you believe he's better than Provorov and Ghost?

The coach being incapable of evaluating talent doesn't magically make him better than the guys not playing. Or is MacDonald the 2nd best defensemen on the roster because he's ahead of others on the pecking order?

Can you ever counter-argue without throwing a strawman.... The Farmer thing? really......

You have no proof that Morin and Sanheim are better NHL defenseman than him right now. No proof whatsoever. You keep spouting it like it's fact, but the fact is Hagg is playing great hockey on the roster and the other two are either benched or sitting in the minors.

I want Morin and Sanheim on the roster just as much as everyone else, but this constant drivel like they should drop Hagg is boring. It was fairly obvious that he was going to make the squad for opening night, yet you argued to the hilt that he wouldn't.

Reactions: Curufinwe
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad