Player Discussion Peyton Krebs C/LW (acquired from Vegas)

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Would you rather they move Mitts to allow Krebs to play up the lineup?

The challenge for me with Krebs is that he has good underlying metrics in a tough spot and not great offensive production. And there are better players at center ahead of him in the lineup.

Thompson and Cozens are unlikely to get moved. So, you probably have to move Mitts or Krebs (or move one of the 4 Cs to the wing) to allow them the ability to actually get a solid faceoffs/PK/defense veteran 4C.

Or do what they did and push Cozens to wing.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010

The challenge for me with Krebs is that he has good underlying metrics in a tough spot and not great offensive production. And there are better players at center ahead of him in the lineup.

Thompson and Cozens are unlikely to get moved. So, you probably have to move Mitts or Krebs (or move one of the 4 Cs to the wing) to allow them the ability to actually get a solid faceoffs/PK/defense veteran 4C.

Krebs got good linemates Monday and was all over the ice. Stop playing Okposo anywhere in the top 9, let alone the PP. There is just no way Krebs can't be in your top 9 but it's Buffalo

So far so good. He looks more like his WHL self than what they got from Vegas. Keep at it would be my take away.
Imagine what happens when Krebs doesn't play with stiffs.

Listen to idiot Granato about Peyton earning his way up. He loves his crappy vets, they can never do anything wrong.

Reactions: Willgamesh

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010

Zero reason he cannot play in the top 9 right now with Quinn out. Frankly, Benson should be in junior, and Krebs should have his minutes.

Next year? Build four good lines like 05-06 Sabres. Get a serious "fourth line" with Greenway, someone who can take a draw like Gaustaud and a tough MF like Mair. Say goodbye to old slow vets like Okposo and Girgensons.

As far as I'm concerned, Benson can go back to junior (I assume he's not eligible for the AHL) and we can delay his free agency by a year. I'd like to see him in Rochester, ideally. Dumbest thing putting him in the NHL in a nothing year. Franchise is a joke.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Zero reason he cannot play in the top 9 right now with Quinn out. Frankly, Benson should be in junior, and Krebs should have his minutes.

Next year? Build four good lines like 05-06 Sabres. Get a serious "fourth line" with Greenway, someone who can take a draw like Gaustaud and a tough MF like Mair. Say goodbye to old slow vets like Okposo and Girgensons.

As far as I'm concerned, Benson can go back to junior (I assume he's not eligible for the AHL) and we can delay his free agency by a year. I'd like to see him in Rochester, ideally. Dumbest thing putting him in the NHL in a nothing year. Franchise is a joke.
Given that he has played in the NHL this year and started the clock on his ELC, I am not sure if they can slide his ELC next year by returning him to the WHL.

I wonder if @dotcommunism knows about that one. That is a pretty rare thing to have happen.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
So far so good. He looks more like his WHL self than what they got from Vegas. Keep at it would be my take away.
When someone tried to compliment him, Granato said it was because he didn't have the same pressure as the top 6 guys and could play more freely.

Why does Granato clearly not like him? James Patrick also said he's cut out for more of a bottom 6 role.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
When someone tried to compliment him, Granato said it was because he didn't have the same pressure as the top 6 guys and could play more freely.

Why does Granato clearly not like him? James Patrick also said he's cut out for more of a bottom 6 role.

Not sure what is going on there. Patrick was more that the league will sort a guy into his tier, though Krebs did look like way more than fighty Jost in junior.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Given that he has played in the NHL this year and started the clock on his ELC, I am not sure if they can slide his ELC next year by returning him to the WHL.

I wonder if @dotcommunism knows about that one. That is a pretty rare thing to have happen.

He can slide when he becomes a UFA, which is key, too. Casey Mittelstaedt got shipped back to Rochester, and now we have two years of him as an RFA instead of one.

Granato preaches BS all the time. The guy throws Okposo on PP and top line based on some mindless loyalty. He is an absolute a**. His treatment of Ryan Johnson is a joke. The guy has his guys. I can't wait until he's gone.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
He can slide when he becomes a UFA, which is key, too. Casey Mittelstaedt got shipped back to Rochester, and now we have two years of him as an RFA instead of one.
I thought the Mitts thing was about him only playing in 6 games when he left Minnesota and not only playing 31 NHL games in 19-20 when he split the year between the NHL and the AHL.

Reactions: Chainshot

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY

Granato preaches BS all the time. The guy throws Okposo on PP and top line based on some mindless loyalty. He is an absolute a**. His treatment of Ryan Johnson is a joke. The guy has his guys. I can't wait until he's gone.
I always hear Granato talking about some mental aspect of a player. I get that there is a mental aspect to any game but it seems like an overly used theme. I really hope a bunch of these guys aren't caught up in their feelings, as crude as a way that is to put it. At some point these guys have to go out there with a "do it or get off the ice" mentality. It should just be about that simple.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I can actually see why he puts KO on the PP. He's teaching the other guys how to not totally f*** everything up, which they still don't know how to do. KO is positionally almost perfect, acknowledging the limitations he has these days. On a team full of kids who routinely ignore the details, I can see why a coach would do this.

In other words, he's still developing players, which you're not used to seeing because every other team develops their players in the minors.

SabresNorth

Nov 6, 2021
This is a great opportunity for Krebs to show what he can do. I've always found him to be a creative playmaker and he's still young. I really think if he gets dished we will regret it.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I always hear Granato talking about some mental aspect of a player. I get that there is a mental aspect to any game but it seems like an overly used theme. I really hope a bunch of these guys aren't caught up in their feelings, as crude as a way that is to put it. At some point these guys have to go out there with a "do it or get off the ice" mentality. It should just be about that simple.
IMO it's because he's being forced to develop young players, which has a lot of mental aspects to it. He can't just come out and say "this team isn't built to win yet" so he has to almost teach fans what a developmental coach does.

Part of me wants to blame Adams, but then I wonder how much Granato sold him on the overall idea to begin with. We honestly don't have enough info to diagnose things perfectly

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
IMO it's because he's being forced to develop young players, which has a lot of mental aspects to it. He can't just come out and say "this team isn't built to win yet" so he has to almost teach fans what a developmental coach does.

Part of me wants to blame Adams, but then I wonder how much Granato sold him on the overall idea to begin with. We honestly don't have enough info to diagnose things perfectly
Probably an accurate depiction. I'm just tired of Granato sounding like he's coaching a midget team. He may have to pamper their senses, but in pressers he comes off like both he and the roster are soft. My football coaches at age 8-13 were much harsher, to us and in any interaction with parents. They didn't hold back if any one of us slacked or had bad attitudes, etc, and they told the parents why straight up if their kid was getting benched.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
I can actually see why he puts KO on the PP. He's teaching the other guys how to not totally f*** everything up, which they still don't know how to do. KO is positionally almost perfect, acknowledging the limitations he has these days. On a team full of kids who routinely ignore the details, I can see why a coach would do this.

In other words, he's still developing players, which you're not used to seeing because every other team develops their players in the minors.

The only KO can do is go to front of the net and he is willing to go there unlike other guys.

This is a great opportunity for Krebs to show what he can do. I've always found him to be a creative playmaker and he's still young. I really think if he gets dished we will regret it.

Give him the rest of the season and not five games

I thought the Mitts thing was about him only playing in 6 games when he left Minnesota and not only playing 31 NHL games in 19-20 when he split the year between the NHL and the AHL.

There is the entry-level aspect of a contract, but you must play seven seasons to be a UFA, and a season is 40 games on the roster. Or 27 on July 1.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
The only KO can do is go to front of the net and he is willing to go there unlike other guys.
I see him doing a lot more than that. He's the guy responsible for preventing breakaways in the other direction. We were leading the league in SH goals against, I believe, until he stabilized them. If not leading the league, then close to it.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007

Benson is not eligible to have his ELC slide next year (as it didn't slide this year), but if he spends less than 40 games on the NHL roster in either of the next two seasons (while he's still waiver exempt), then he won't get an accrued season for free agency, which would push back his UFA eligibility. They could push his UFA eligibility back two years by returning him to junior next year then sending him to the AHL for the majority of the following season. That said, I highly doubt that the Sabres would choose to pursue such a course, and there are significant downsides in doing so.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
Benson is not eligible to have his ELC slide next year (as it didn't slide this year), but if he spends less than 40 games on the NHL roster in either of the next two seasons (while he's still waiver exempt), then he won't get an accrued season for free agency, which would push back his UFA eligibility. They could push his UFA eligibility back two years by returning him to junior next year then sending him to the AHL for the majority of the following season. That said, I highly doubt that the Sabres would choose to pursue such a course, and there are significant downsides in doing so.
That would basically be the Grigorenko treatment

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010

They boxed themselves into a corner by not sending to junior this year. This management is such a joke. I would still consider sending him back to junior. He looks out of place way too many nights. The effort is there. I assume he can go to Rochester for playoffs but only after his junior team is eliminated?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
They boxed themselves into a corner by not sending to junior this year. This management is such a joke. I would still consider sending him back to junior. He looks out of place way too many nights. The effort is there. I assume he can go to Rochester for playoffs but only after his junior team is eliminated?

Out of place how? I am curious what you are seeing.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Out of place how? I am curious what you are seeing.

He was strong the first 20 games, maybe, keeping in mind he is 18. They had a whole off-season to get someone to plug in for Quinn and made some emergency decisions to put Benson into the lineup. The lineup situation drove the move, and now we have an 18-year-old burning a year of his time to UFA for no reason. Is he doing well for a teenager, without question? Was it the right call to have him up? I think many commentators around the team question it. If you want to argue this team is boring as crap and do everything and anything to compete including this, I will buy that. I just don't think he brings much more (at this point( than we could get moving Krebs up and using our cap room which of course we won't.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
He was strong the first 20 games, maybe, keeping in mind he is 18. They had a whole off-season to get someone to plug in for Quinn and made some emergency decisions to put Benson into the lineup. The lineup situation drove the move, and now we have an 18-year-old burning a year of his time to UFA for no reason. Is he doing well for a teenager, without question? Was it the right call to have him up? I think many commentators around the team question it. If you want to argue this team is boring as crap and do everything and anything to compete including this, I will buy that. I just don't think he brings much more (at this point( than we could get moving Krebs up and using our cap room which of course we won't.

Benson was one of our best players last night and that's not an unusual occurrence.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
It wasnt an emergency decision for Benson, he won the competition, VO, Savoie, Benson, Kulich, Rosen, Rousek, all were in the internal competition for Quinns roster spot during training camp and aside from Savoie they all had their chance because he was injured himself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad