Who would you take going forward

• Total voters

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Jack hughes AINEC
I thought you valued defensive game? So your argument literally is proven false, you’re just here to nitpick in favour of your biased player.

Now let’s use a page out of your pocket book.

Petey > Hughes defensively AND at faceoffs

Petey two game > Hughes defensive trainwreck

Petey SHL MVP and in the playoffs (also PPG) at 18, and PPG in the NHL playoffs > Hughes yet to play in any significant games.

Petey with Calder > Hughes

Petey near PPG majority of his first few seasons > Hughes with very underwhelming starts to his career

Petey goal scoring ability > Hughes

You know I could go on nitpicking stats for you but oh what the hell.

Petey > Hughes easily.

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
Not 10 in 2. He has 7 points in his last two and even if he didn't have any points in those 2 games he would be ahead of Nico offensively. Nico is exactly what NJ needs in a 2nd line center role and is a more elite version of what Horvat brings (though Horvat scores a lot more). Petey fills the role that Hughes does for NJ, so this really isn't a great comparison. If they were both tasked to be the sole top line play driver of their teams offense, Petey would win out.

Jack Hughes vs Petey is a better comparison really.
Devils fans have been clear - Hischier = Petterson due to vastly superior defensive play. Also, Jack Hughes > Petterson AINEC :laugh:

I thought you valued defensive game? So your argument literally is proven false, you’re just here to nitpick in favour of your biased player.

Petey SHL MVP and in the playoffs (also PPG) at 18, and PPG in the NHL playoffs > Hughes yet to play in any significant games.

Petey near PPG majority of his first few seasons > Hughes with very underwhelming starts to his career

Petey > Hughes easily.
With that one line that devils fan clearly stated how he is either trolling or completely blind to his own biases. Can't believe I wasted my time with him.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
Now ya’ll are acting like Jack Hughes is bad defensively. He’s really not and his defensive game is more on par with Petey’s than it is close to hischiers. That is exactly my point. Also, hughes is 21 and on an extremely team friendly contract, has a higher offensive upside. So yeah it’s not really close.

Petey > Hughes easily.
Hughes is better than Pettersson right now and will continue to be better than him. Elias vs hischier is a more fair comparison.

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
Now ya’ll are acting like Jack Hughes is bad defensively. He’s really not and his defensive game is more on par with Petey’s than it is close to hischiers. That is exactly my point. Also, hughes is 21 and on an extremely team friendly contract, has a higher offensive upside. So yeah it’s not really close.

Hughes is better than Pettersson right now and will continue to be better than him. Elias vs hischier is a more fair comparison.
Then why does Petey have a higher ppg on a horrific team?

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
Then why does Petey have a higher ppg on a horrific team?
Oh wow you’re right his PPG is higher which is the only factor that matters when evaluating players. Looks like you got me. Jeff skinner is a better player than Austin matthews, panarin and jack hughes. Solid logic.

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
Oh wow you’re right his PPG is higher which is the only factor that matters when evaluating players. Looks like you got me. Jeff skinner is a better player than Austin matthews, panarin and jack hughes. Solid logic.
Man you've got yourself spinning in circles. We've got a better ppg, better defensive/PK game which you have previously stated you value highly, and suddenly there are "other factors". Like what? Basically, he plays for your team and you like him seems to be the case here.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Points are a pretty decent baramoter of an offensive player's value, when they don't bring much else to the table. Pettersson is better than Hughes both offensively and especially defensively, so I'm not exactly sure what you think is lost beyond the context of stats.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Devils fans have been clear - Hischier = Petterson due to vastly superior defensive play. Also, Jack Hughes > Petterson AINEC :laugh:
One fan says something about Hughes being the best in this thread

Then you say "dEviLs FaNs hAvE BeeN CleaR"

Stop embarrassing yourself

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I mean, I'm tempted to take hischier over those guys for his two way play but Suzuki, batherson and thomas have identical numbers on way worse teams and Oettinger is a potential perennial Vezina candidate. No shame being in that group.

I'm also not sure heiskenen is a lock over a two way centre with 41 pts in 31 games, and Robertson isn't that far ahead in ppg as a winger. Petey could re-establish himself as a top 2 in a redraft if he continues this pace.

I understand where you're coming from but Hischier individual progress is a big reason why NJ has taken a huge step forward so I don't know how much the "way worse teams" argument plays a part in this

One thing for sure is that this draft is better than people expected. I agree that Oettinger and even the other guys deserve consideration for making the top-5 but IMO Hischier is running away with it this season. It could be very different as soon as next season. The Top-4 should be hard to crack for years though.

Also agreed that Pettersson might have already reclaimed a top-3 spot over Heiskanen.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
I don't trust models to take things into account like the absolutely horrific blue line and goaltending the canucks have had this year. Like, Hischier is great but it would be tough for him to shut people down when shots are going in from the blue line and Myers is playing for the other team.
and i always thought you would love to see myers playing for another team. :naughty:

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
I’m sure you can read the title to this thread and what I was talking about.
I read the title and I'd still take N Hischier over whoever E Petterssen is

Joking aside, I'd take him over Pettersson as well, simply because the Devils have Hughes and Hischier is the perfect player to slot in behind Jack Hughes

Feels like a weird bump though as EP still isn't way far ahead of NH, at least not the kind of distance you'd expect for someone to dig up an old thread for.

Most people save the bumping for hot takes that are waaaaaay off like Kakko easily over Jack Hughes

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Some hot takes in this thread. Right now there’s only about four or five centers I’d rank above Pettersson. And Hischier certainly isn’t in that conversation.

Last edited:

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
I read the title and I'd still take N Hischier over whoever E Petterssen is

Joking aside, I'd take him over Pettersson as well, simply because the Devils have Hughes and Hischier is the perfect player to slot in behind Jack Hughes

Feels like a weird bump though as EP still isn't way far ahead of NH, at least not the kind of distance you'd expect for someone to dig up an old thread for.

Most people save the bumping for hot takes that are waaaaaay off like Kakko easily over Jack Hughes
There’s a dramatic scoring difference that has materialized. Pretty easy to see that they’re not close. One is a top 5 center right now, and the other is not even close to that.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
There’s a dramatic scoring difference that has materialized. Pretty easy to see that they’re not close. One is a top 5 center right now, and the other is not even close to that.

Cool story the better scoring player is outscoring his counterpart.
More to players than putting up numbers though

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad