Petterssen vs Hishier

Who would you take going forward

• Total voters

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
There’s a dramatic scoring difference that has materialized. Pretty easy to see that they’re not close. One is a top 5 center right now, and the other is not even close to that.
Agreed. The scoring gap has widened considerably and the defensive gap has narrowed. At this point it’s not particularly close. I’d have Pettersson just outside the top 5. Hischier quite a bit lower. Probably in the 20-25 range. It looks like a lot of others agree with that in the top 30 centers thread.

• Haha
Reactions: Xirik

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
Cool story the better scoring player is outscoring his counterpart.
More to players than putting up numbers though
Cool story, what exactly does NH do that makes up the dramatic scoring difference between the two? Because I assure you the defense does not make that difference up. Want proof? Look at the numbers. Again EP has been a top 5 center— in what world is NH better? Is NH a top 5 center this season? The answer is no.

Ita

Mar 11, 2019
Feels like a weird bump though as EP still isn't way far ahead of NH, at least not the kind of distance you'd expect for someone to dig up an old thread for.
So EP being Top 10 in scoring and Top 4 in even strength scoring in the entire league still hasn't shown enough "distance"?

How much distance do you need? For him to be as good as McDavid? Or are you arguing that this season is an outlier? In that case how about career stats?

284P in 295 games = 0.96P/G
vs
250P in 350 games = 0.71P/G

Reactions: HockeyWooot

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Cool story, what exactly does NH do that makes up the dramatic scoring difference between the two? Because I assure you the defense does not make that difference up. Want proof? Look at the numbers. Again EP has been a top 5 center— in what world is NH better? Is NH a top 5 center? Top 10? The answer is no.

I never once said anything about Nico making up the difference at all, I said for NJ Nico is the perfect compliment to Hughes.

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
I never once said anything about Nico making up the difference at all, I said for NJ Nico is the perfect compliment to Hughes.
You said there’s more to a player and than scoring. You’re implying defense and my point is EP can play defense while scoring more— so how is NH better?

The real point is, contracts aside, no GM should take NH over EP. And this poll is a demonstration of people overreacting early in the season.

HugeInTheShire

Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
You said there’s more to a player and than scoring. You’re implying defense and my point is EP can play defense while scoring more— so how is NH better?
Once again I never said NH is better, not once [mod].

But since you want to know what Nico does that EP doesn’t, when Crosby, McDavid or any other top line player is in the ice so is Nico.
EP might put up similar defensive numbers but he does it against inferior players.
Because EP is the best offensive threat Vancouver has, he sees a lot of checking lines, so it’s not as hard to shut down Jordan Staal as it is Sidney Crosby.
Also him playing on a bad team benefits his offensive number as teams are likely to start a back up goalie against a bad team.

If this doesn’t make you understand that there is more to value than stats, I can’t help ya.

None of this matters even in the slightest though, because you’re now going to say something amazing like “tell me haven’t watched EP without telling me you haven’t watched EP” or something equally impressive. Then I’ll point out that I’m actually from Alberta and watch loads of Vancouver game and so on and so forth

Last edited by a moderator:

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
Once again I never said NH is better, not once [mod].

But since you want to know what Nico does that EP doesn’t, when Crosby, McDavid or any other top line player is in the ice so is Nico.
EP might put up similar defensive numbers but he does it against inferior players.
Because EP is the best offensive threat Vancouver has, he sees a lot of checking lines, so it’s not as hard to shut down Jordan Staal as it is Sidney Crosby.
Also him playing on a bad team benefits his offensive number as teams are likely to start a back up goalie against a bad team.

If this doesn’t make you understand that there is more to value than stats, I can’t help ya.

None of this matters even in the slightest though, because you’re now going to say something amazing like “tell me haven’t watched EP without telling me you haven’t watched EP” or something equally impressive. Then I’ll point out that I’m actually from Alberta and watch loads of Vancouver game and so on and so forth
[mod]

Everything you said about EP applies to all other top centers. McDavid? Draisaitl? Mackinnon? Matthews? Barkov?

Are you telling me NH does something these players don’t so you want him on your team because you already have Hughes?

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
[mod]

Everything you said about EP applies to all other top centers. McDavid? Draisaitl? Mackinnon? Matthews? Barkov?

Are you telling me NH does something these players don’t so you want him on your team because you already have Hughes?
Agreed. You take the best player. I mean worst case if you don’t want EP as your second line center you trade him for a boatload of assets. The idea that any team would keep a lesser asset because he fits better is nonsense.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Cool story, what exactly does NH do that makes up the dramatic scoring difference between the two? Because I assure you the defense does not make that difference up. Want proof? Look at the numbers. Again EP has been a top 5 center— in what world is NH better? Is NH a top 5 center this season? The answer is no.
Who are your top 5 centers?

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
[mod]

Agreed. You take the best player. I mean worst case if you don’t want EP as your second line center you trade him for a boatload of assets. The idea that any team would keep a lesser asset because he fits better is nonsense.
All very interesting to bad you voted a long time ago and still the poll result is close enough that you guys offended by it.:thumbu:

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
41% voted Hishier
What in the world, Time to do a updated poll.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
if you are so sure then why not make a new one?
Why would I? I think the answer is really clear. There will always be a few homers in every fanbase who will vote for their own player over the better player.

41% voted Hishier
What in the world, Time to do an updated poll.
To be fair, the poll was in November and there were some who wanted to see if Pettersson could keep it up. The gap offensively has grown a lot since the poll.
The only centers ahead of EP in scoring are McDavid, Drai, Thompson and J Hughes. He’s taken a huge step this year and really improved defensively as well.

Last edited:

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Why would I? I think the answer is really clear. There will always be a few homers in every fanbase who will vote for their own player over the better player.
so you fear the same result?
The poll results are old and outdated.
I doubt anyone would take Hischier over EP now. Well, almost nobody. 😆
only took a couple minutes for you to change your mind.

Looks like @Canucks LB will do it for you though, Offended Canucks fans are coming out in droves!

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Once again I never said NH is better, not once you’re being intentionally obtuse.

You should probably fact check before posting. Half your arguement is something no one even has to look up to instantly know your're just trying to discredit EP by grasping at straws.

Over the 4 years prior to this season, NJ has finished well below the Canucks in the standings every single season. If being a bottom feeder this year is padding EP's stats for this season, why has EP considerably outscored NH every year prior? Why is Hischier producing more this year than the 4 previous when he was on a bottom feeder facing backups? I guess NH is exempt from the benefits of facing a backup? Hmmm :skeptic:

Both players have faced backups plenty of times. Fact is EP is a much higher scorer the NH. 1 season out of 5 of NJ not being below the Canucks in the standings doesn't have a huge impact on their career numbers or numbers in general.

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
so you fear the same result?

only took a couple minutes for you to change your mind.

Looks like @Canucks LB will do it for you though, Offended Canucks fans are coming out in droves!
Why would Canucks fans be offended, the superior player still won the poll

HugeInTheShire

Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
You should probably fact check before posting. Half your arguement is something no one even has to look up to instantly know your're just trying to discredit EP by grasping at straws.

Over the 4 years prior to this season, NJ has finished well below the Canucks in the standings every single season. If being a bottom feeder this year is padding EP's stats for this season, why has EP considerably outscored NH every year prior? Why is Hischier producing more this year than the 4 previous when he was on a bottom feeder facing backups?

Both players have faced backups plenty of times. Fact is EP is a much higher scorer the NH. 1 season out of 5 of NJ not being below the Canucks in the standings doesn't have a huge impact on their career numbers or numbers in general.
I was speaking to this year not any other year. As this is a who do you take going forward poll not a who do you take in the past poll. I honestly can’t understand why it’s so hard for Canuck fans to understand that people have different opinions than they do and not all teams need the same thing

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Take the best qualities of Hischier and the best of Hughes and you have assembled Pettersson. I never realized the abyssmal FO winning ability of Hughes until now, I suppose Yegor takes the important ones. should do an updated poll btw Hughes and EP.
Pettersson isn't that great at Faceoffs either.

Hughes has more points then Pettersson FYI.

Why would Canucks fans be offended, the superior player still won the poll
Look at the canucks fans posts since it was bumped by a Canucks fan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad