Petterssen vs Hishier

Who would you take going forward

• Total voters

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
Yes his teammates are consistently missing wide open nets. I don’t think it’s a cool down. Just a cold stretch against some tough opponents.

Hischier needs to learn to finish. I wish he had EP’s natural offensive abilities. I don’t think he’s incapable of it because he’s shown flashes of brilliance. I think he will work on that part of his game over the next couple of years and it will improve just because that’s what he does. Works on an aspect of his game and it gets better.

Seems like nuck fans really need to make a point of pettersson being vastly superior to hischier for some odd reason. I know he was this boards prospect darling and came out hot right out the gate but I think that gap is closing between two great players.
You know what hypocrisy is right? Read your first post in the poll. Also, this is a comparison poll, the discussion is exactly what it’s designed to elicit. What else did you expect?

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Yes his teammates are consistently missing wide open nets. I don’t think it’s a cool down. Just a cold stretch against some tough opponents.

Hischier needs to learn to finish. I wish he had EP’s natural offensive abilities. I don’t think he’s incapable of it because he’s shown flashes of brilliance. I think he will work on that part of his game over the next couple of years and it will improve just because that’s what he does. Works on an aspect of his game and it gets better.

Seems like nuck fans really need to make a point of pettersson being vastly superior to hischier for some odd reason. I know he was this boards prospect darling and came out hot right out the gate but I think that gap is closing between two great players.
Of course they do, they're an awful team. They don't have much going for them.

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017

I think Hischier is fantastic but there's this weird idea that Petterson doesn't have shutdown capabilites and that's the reason the "gap is closing".

We all get attached to our players and start thinking things like "I'd rather have A than B despite B having better numbers through and through, because A is on my team and I see all the little things he does". Well the problem is you're not watching the other guy except the one game you played us and lets be real the Devils are a far superior squad that wiped the ice with us that night. Petey has off nights like all superstars.

Petey plays #1 pk, takes all the hard matchups, shows 2 way IQ that is rare in an offensive superstar. Even if NH has slightly more polished 2 way game he still sounds more like a Horvat the way you describe him.

Let me put it to this way, would you take Jack Hughes or Nico Hischier if forced to choose?

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
You know what hypocrisy is right? Read your first post in the poll. Also, this is a comparison poll, the discussion is exactly what it’s designed to elicit. What else did you expect?
Give me the captain of the best team in the NHL any day of the week.

He's not going to maintain this scoring pace. He is going to improve it.

What is hypocritical about this post. Do you know what being condescending means?

I’d still take hischier over pettersson. I think hischier will score more points than last season and improve his scoring pace over the next couple years.

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
Of course they do, they're an awful team. They don't have much going for them.
Are you saying this because its true (all canucks fans know this thanks) or because you guys are strangely bitter that Hischier hasn't reached Petey's lofty standards despite not needing to on a team with a top tier centre?

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
I think Hischier is fantastic but there's this weird idea that Petterson doesn't have shutdown capabilites and that's the reason the "gap is closing".

We all get attached to our players and start thinking things like "I'd rather have A than B despite B having better numbers through and through, because A is on my team and I see all the little things he does". Well the problem is you're not watching the other guy except the one game you played us and lets be real the Devils are a far superior squad that wiped the ice with us that night. Petey has off nights like all superstars.

Petey plays #1 pk, takes all the hard matchups, shows 2 way IQ that is rare in an offensive superstar. Even if NH has slightly more polished 2 way game he still sounds more like a Horvat the way you describe him.

Let me put it to this way, would you take Jack Hughes or Nico Hischier if forced to choose?
When did I say he wasn’t capable of shutdown defense? I said hischier is a top line shut down any situation player. I think pettersson is close too but face off in the defensive zone late in the game… I’m not putting pettersson on the dot.

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
When did I say he wasn’t capable of shutdown defense? I said hischier is a top line shut down any situation player. I think pettersson is close too but face off in the defensive zone late in the game… I’m not putting pettersson on the dot.
Fair. If you want to take Hischier over Petey because of faceoffs, have at er. It seems like an easier thing to work on than natural superstar level offensive abilities, but maybe it really is THAT important.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
Fair. If you want to take Hischier over Petey because of faceoffs, have at er. It seems like an easier thing to work on than natural superstar level offensive abilities, but maybe it really is THAT important.
I don’t. Hischier is better defender than pettersson. He has a higher GSVA (not by much). I like both their games and they provide different skills for each team. I’m sorry that Canuck fans can not see the greatness in nicos abilities and have to PROVE that they won that draft. But have at it, I’m perfectly content with our pick.

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
What is hypocritical about this post. Do you know what being condescending means?

I’d still take hischier over pettersson. I think hischier will score more points than last season and improve his scoring pace over the next couple years.
You accused Canucks of peddling EP as superior. Your first post was an argument in favor of the player you like stating with certainty he’s going to score even better. You then stated in many ways “Nico will learn to finish faster than EP will learn to win draws and be a ES defensive stalwart like Hischier.” I’m sure you understand that’s hypocritical.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
You accused Canucks of peddling EP as superior. Your first post was an argument in favor of the player you like stating with certainty he’s going to score even better. You then stated in many ways “Nico will learn to finish faster than EP will learn to win draws and be a ES defensive stalwart like Hischier.” I’m sure you understand that’s hypocritical.
Those are opinions on a message board. Never did I say AINEC. Canuck fans constantly have to dismiss hischier abilities and act like pettersson has caught up on the defensive side of the puck which is not true.

Reactions: Xirik

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
I don’t. Hischier is better defender than pettersson. He has a higher GSVA (not by much). I like both their games and they provide different skills for each team. I’m sorry that Canuck fans can not see the greatness in nicos abilities and have to PROVE that they won that draft. But have at it, I’m perfectly content with our pick.
I'm sorry but I think you're projecting. We have nothing to prove, we picked a superstar at 5th. You picked a very good player at 1st. And we didn't win that draft, Colorado did. Hischier vs Petterson is just a very one sided poll that was started while Nico and the devils were on a hot streak.

You should be content with your pick. There are far bigger 1 overall busts than Nico Hischier. It doesn't mean he should be put in Petey's tier.

• Haha
Reactions: Jersey Fresh

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Pettersson has the higher ceiling and more advanced skill set, Hischier will likely have a “steadier” career though with fewer ups and downs

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
I'm sorry but I think you're projecting. We have nothing to prove, we picked a superstar at 5th. You picked a very good player at 1st. And we didn't win that draft, Colorado did. Hischier vs Petterson is just a very one sided poll that was started while Nico and the devils were on a hot streak.

You should be content with your pick. There are far bigger 1 overall busts than Nico Hischier. It doesn't mean he should be put in Petey's tier.
In what world is pettersson a superstar and not just a great player like Nico? He has accomplished nothing to make that claim.

Even comparing Nico to a bust just shows how out of touch you are. He will be the better player and accomplish more in the nhl when all is said and done.

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
In what world is pettersson a superstar and not just a great player like Nico? He has accomplished nothing to make that claim.

Even comparing Nico to a bust just shows how out of touch you are. He will be the better player and accomplish more in the nhl when all is said and done.
Sorry I didn't mean to say Nico is a bust. He's clearly not. He's just not the top player in his draft like many 1 OAs.

Petey has won a ROTY, MVP in the SEL playoffs at 18 y/o, he has over a ppg in his playoffs, and is now a top 10 nhl scorer on a dreadful team. That's with very few powerplay goals which should correct at some point. He's a strong defensive centre that plays PK. Very similar to Datsyuk who I consider a superstar.

He had a poor injury riddled year last year and still ended up with 32 g and 68 points. When he got it going he scored at a 105 point pace which he has continued this year. His ceiling is extremely high and he's finally hitting it this year. That's a superstar to me, and if not then elite. Whatever term you want to use he's in Hughes' tier, not Hischier.

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver

No doubt, Hischier is a fantastic center.

Yes one for one Hischier is a better two way forward than Petey, but Petey’s two game is also exceptional. The thing that seperates them however is that Petey’s game driving ability and offensive ability is far greater than Hischier’s which is where the separation is. Petey has the ability to single handedly win games. Hischier isn’t much of a play driver but more a complimentary player much like a Tavares.

Petey has also been near PPG for much of his career, and has 85 points in his last 60 games since his slow start.

You’ll quickly realize it’s Jersey fans who are coming out here and trying hard to nitpick defiencies in Petey’s game to try and make Hischier look better, when every stat suggests Petey is the all around better player despite Hischier having one or two attributes in his game that he excels at over Petey.

Reactions: geebster

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Petttersson is at 1.32 PPG this year. Hischier is at .94 PPG. That’s over 40% more offense for EP.
Hischier may be slightly better defensively but there’s no way it comes close to closing that huge gap in offensive production.
This is EP by a decent amount.

Last edited:

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
No doubt, Hischier is a fantastic center.

Yes one for one Hischier is a better two way forward than Petey, but Petey’s two game is also exceptional. The thing that seperates them however is that Petey’s game driving ability and offensive ability is far greater than Hischier’s which is where the separation is. Petey has the ability to single handedly win games. Hischier isn’t much of a play driver but more a complimentary player much like a Tavares.

Petey has also been near PPG for much of his career, and has 85 points in his last 60 games since his slow start.

You’ll quickly realize it’s Jersey fans who are coming out here and trying hard to nitpick defiencies in Petey’s game to try and make Hischier look better, when every stat suggests Petey is the all around better player despite Hischier having one or two attributes in his game that he excels at over Petey.
Hischier is absolutely a play driver. I’ve praised Elias multiple times in this thread but he just doesn’t do everything better than Nico. Hischier is better overall defensively and on the dot. Elias is much more gifted offensively. The Devils already have one of the most offensively gifted centers in the league so we’re not expecting him to be on that level and can focus on the teams other deficiencies. Which is what Nico does as a team player and captain.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
Petttersson is at 1.32 PPG this year. Hischier is at .94 PPG. That’s over 40% more offense for EP.
Hischier may be slightly better defensively but there’s no way it comes close to closing that huge gap in offensive production.
This is EP by a decent amount.
Plenty of models show that Nico is far superior defensively. So it’s not just slightly.

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
Plenty of models show that Nico is far superior defensively. So it’s not just slightly.

I don't trust models to take things into account like the absolutely horrific blue line and goaltending the canucks have had this year. Like, Hischier is great but it would be tough for him to shut people down when shots are going in from the blue line and Myers is playing for the other team.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

I did a quick search and didn’t see any lists with Hischier in the top 10 defensive forwards. So I think slightly is pretty accurate. In any event to overcome the fact that EP brings 40% more offense you’d pretty much need to bring Bergeron level dominant D play. And Hischier is not anywhere close to that.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
I did a quick search and didn’t see any lists with Hischier in the top 10 defensive forwards. So I think slightly is pretty accurate. In any event to overcome the fact that EP brings 40% more offense you’d pretty much need to bring Bergeron level dominant D play. And Hischier is not anywhere close to that.
Do a more thorough search because they exist and I just posted one above. Pettersson has 10 points in 2 games which is great but also inflating his PPG levels. He doesn’t bring 40% more offense on a nightly basis.

I don't trust models to take things into account like the absolutely horrific blue line and goaltending the canucks have had this year. Like, Hischier is great but it would be tough for him to shut people down when shots are going in from the blue line and Myers is playing for the other team.
Sorry but Nico was on this exact team you are describing last year and had better defensive metrics from those models than pettersson is having this season.

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Do a more thorough search because they exist and I just posted one above. Pettersson has 10 points in 2 games which is great but also inflating his PPG levels. He doesn’t bring 40% more offense on a nightly basis.

Sorry but Nico was on this exact team you are describing last year and had better defensive metrics from those models than pettersson is having this season.
He has 7 points in 2 games. He had 35pts in 29gp before his return.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad