Peterborough Petes 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
Interesting thoughts on the Petes from non-Petes fans that kind of allude to the Hull issue.

First from @PeterKneulman OHLWriters: OHL Week 12 Power Rankings
(15) Peterborough Petes 15-14-2 PR% .4743
4 2nds between '18-'22 4 3rds between '18-'22
This team has a lot of issues and they have had them for 2 years. This is a team that has never really been strong at shot suppression and most of that was covered up by the strong play of Dylan Wells. This year however Wells has struggled and the Petes havnt been able to make up for that. Even if they pick up an elite D there are systemic issues with this team that will not be fixed. I dont think a tear down is necessary but maybe a retooling for next year around Hunter Jones who could be an elite goalie under a better system.

Then from @MarkSeidel's "thoughts"
DT: Peterborough – The Petes get the gift of putting it all together & playing well because the roster is way better than the results. We will also give them some help on the back end to solidify things, but a lot of guys have under achieved but they have 3 months to turn it on.

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
I hate where the Petes are at right now.......they are at a fork in the road and I certainly don't know which direction is the best route to take. I'm sure Oke is struggling with deciding on his next step.

Should they buy big and acquire a big name or two?

Should they tweak things with a small upgrade or two?

Should they sell?

Should they stand pat?

At this point, I trust Oke based on the moves he has made in the past, but he is in an awful pickle between INJURIES...........

Chisholm (back mid Feb? with about 10 games left in regular season)
Robertson (concussion......back before Christmas? but may be gun-shy.....can he play with same effectiveness?)
Dow (concussion......back before Christmas?)
Isaacson (Shoulder............back before Christmas?)

ABSENCES........Ang away at WJ camp and maybe for longer if he makes the team

and NEEDS (even when team is healthy) top end Dman, at the very least

IMO, the bottom line is that a number of players need to be consistently better no matter what acquisitions Oke is able to make. This team can't rely on 2 or 3 guys to carry the load. Their depth at forward is only a strength if everyone is pulling their weight.

We will soon see how the D can hold up without Chisholm. I'm especially interested to see how Beraldo plays. He has done well so far in limited action, but I think he is capable of more.

Snipes 29

Dec 1, 2013
Parker-Jones is in his draft year and was rated for the draft by central scouting... still the coaches won't give him any ice to show what he can do.

Jody proved last night he would rather ride his vets into the ground and have them be absolutely exhausted over using JPJ and Denault for a regular shift.

I don't get it. JPJ could be for us what Douglas is for the Colts...
totally agree JPJ could be great but no playing time

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
Not sure if others have seen it yet, but TSN has a feature on Matt Johnson on their site. He's apparently homeless living at the beach in Santa Monica now. I vividly remember him for the Petes. Sad story.

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
Brock Otten’s annual trade deadline predictions are out. What a great read….very in depth. He doesn’t nail everything that will eventually happen with his predicted trades, but his analysis of what teams need and targets that are on their radar is always solid and certainly stirs the pot with all of the names and picks he mentions.

He imagines the Petes showing interest in:
11 different Dmen

three OA’s

Smereck (Flint)
Rhodes (Sud)
Headrick (Erie)

eight 98’s

Stillman (Osh)
Allen (Osh)
Moverare (Miss)
Hague (Miss)
Dineen (NB)
Day (Win)
Sambrook (Erie)
Mattinen (Flint)

as well as 2 forwards
Sokolov (Sud)
Pu (London)

But his trade predictions for the Petes are:
Prediction: Jalen Smereck goes from Flint to Peterborough in exchange for John Parker Jones, NIA 3rd 2018, Peterborough 2nd 2020, Peterborough 3rd, 2021
Prediction: Jacob Moverare goes from Missy to Peterborough in exchange for Matyas Svoboda, Alex Black, GUE 2nd 2018, North Bay 2nd 2019, Peterborough 3rd 2020, Peterborough 4th 2021

If these two trades were made, here is what the draft picks would look like for the next 5 years…….no 2nd round pick for the next 4 years, one 3rd round pick next year and then none for the next 4 years

---

3rd

4th
NIA 4th*

5th

---

---

4th

5th

---

---

4th

5th

---

---

---

5th

2nd

---

4th

5th
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

If these two trades were made, here is what the line-up might look like:

DeNoble(L) (97) (OA) Ang(R) (98) Timleck(R) (98)
Gogolev(L) (00) Gallant(L) (99) Paquette(R) (98)
Dow (R) (98) SDA(R) (00) Korostelev(R) (97) (OA)
Isaacson(L)(99) Robertson (L) (01) Denault (R)(00)

Smereck (L) (97) (OA) Fraser (R) (99)
Timms (L) (98) Moverare (L) (98)
Osmanski (L) (98) Babintsev (R) (00)

Chisholm (L) (00)……..out until February
[Beraldo (L) (00) McNamara (R) (00) Supryka (01)]

Wells (98)
Jones (00)
Curran (99)

- Better quality and depth on the back end, especially with Chisholm sliding into Babintsev’s spot, paired with Osmanski, when he returns.

Can this group reduce the 36.5 SOG/game that the Petes have allowed through their first 31 games?
I should hope so!

As far as comparables go, our conference leaders:
Hamilton gives up 29.7 SOG/game
SSM gives up 28.4 SOG/game

This will leave the Petes with no depth at forward, every guy will need to pull his weight; no room for spectators.

To a man they will need the forwards to be consistently good, especially in the D zone, AND STAY HEALTHY

Wells will have to be Wells if the Petes are going to go deep into the playoffs.

No matter what happens, the next 4 weeks should be interesting.

viewfromabove

Nov 29, 2017
That leaves 8 OA's for next year, What then? The draft? Nope, not many picks left. Our younger players? Nope. they'll be back in the stands and never have a chance to develop. Why the big hurry to sign these young players if you're plan is to go for it? They have 9 d signed already. Lets bring some more in lol Maybe they should trade some of them so they get a chance to play like the other young players in this league. I've watched several other teams with rookie d-men make some pretty awful plays and decisions yet they still keep coming over the boards for a regular shift. they also get some power play time. Good luck whatever they do, it seems like a good group of kids, whoever they bring in I hope they don't disrupt their chemistry.

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
The Petes strong age groups right now are the 98's and the 00's, with the 99 group basically only being Gallant/Fraser/Isaacson at this point. I think you try to make moves like the ones Brock outlines above to push in for this season but you do them knowing next year is probably a "rebuild on the fly" type year before going hard again in 2019-20 around the 00/01 born kids.

So, even if you do have 8 potential OA candidates for next season in that scenario (5 really with Wells/Ang/Moverare signed and graduating - either Paquette or Osmanski could sign with their club as well, leaving Timleck/Timms/Dow), you trade what you can for draft picks. You probably consider moving Gallant/Fraser in that scernario as well if you think next is their last season.

Zebra

Feb 12, 2017
This is Matt Johnson story is heart breaking. The story I read alluded to mental illness.

This is the perfect opportunity for the Petes organization to step up and help an alumni suffering from mental illness.

The Petes have that whole mental health initiative and here is a wonderful chance to help an person suffering from mental illness.

SaginawFan

Apr 29, 2017
The Petes strong age groups right now are the 98's and the 00's, with the 99 group basically only being Gallant/Fraser/Isaacson at this point. I think you try to make moves like the ones Brock outlines above to push in for this season but you do them knowing next year is probably a "rebuild on the fly" type year before going hard again in 2019-20 around the 00/01 born kids.

So, even if you do have 8 potential OA candidates for next season in that scenario (5 really with Wells/Ang/Moverare signed and graduating - either Paquette or Osmanski could sign with their club as well, leaving Timleck/Timms/Dow), you trade what you can for draft picks. You probably consider moving Gallant/Fraser in that scernario as well if you think next is their last season.

I'd like to see Gallant and Fraser moved to Saginaw. Both are Detroit draft picks, it makes sense!

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
This is Matt Johnson story is heart breaking. The story I read alluded to mental illness.

This is the perfect opportunity for the Petes organization to step up and help an alumni suffering from mental illness.

The Petes have that whole mental health initiative and here is a wonderful chance to help an person suffering from mental illness.

Remember he needs to want help in the first place. He has had guys like Storr/Blake offering to help and he doesn't want it or continue with the help.

Snipes 29

Dec 1, 2013
The Petes are awful lately what is going on??? horrible team passing,couple of Dplaying poorly? players not doing much,loosing one on one battles all over the ice.Too many cute passes someone shoot the puck and hit the net? Lack of compete?poor puck management,no urgency in game?way way too many stick checks, someone hit someone?Alot of coasting in defensive zone, a lot of standing around. A soft team to play against someone play hard nosed and mean other than Frazor?Generals man handle us ever game last few years they draft size, we draft small???

Zebra

Feb 12, 2017
I am not sure our small players are the problem.

Big players, small players ...it doesn’t matter if we don’t have decent coaching.

I think I am going to write Jake Grimes a letter and ask him to please come back-

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
4-1 after one. Petes finish the first half 1-5 after Hull challenged them to go 5-1. :help:

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
4-1 after one. Petes finish the first half 1-5 after Hull challenged them to go 5-1. :help:

It doesn't seem anything Hull does motivates this team. I don't know who the blame falls on, but I don't recall seeing the Petes come out with a lot of jump very often as long as Hull has been coach. I would love to see what a different coach could do with this group, but it might be too late in the season to make a change now.

Ptbomillsy619

Dec 17, 2017
Even last year first half looked the exact same till the players had a players only meeting then went defeated December. I don’t think they can play for him/ his system. They need to play for each other. Denoble koro and black need to get the boys going

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad