Peterborough Petes 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petes1

Oct 26, 2002
If they fire Hull, I imagine they'll just make Verner the interim coach and move Duco to the bench for the rest of the year and look for Hull's replacement in the summer.

If that's the case, I'd rather them sell and give next years coach the best opportunity to get off to a good start. I'd rather not see them try and salvage the season on an interim coach and get eliminated in the 1st/2nd round.

Sounds like Windsor won't be moving DiPietro, which could really help the Petes get a good return on Wells. Korostelev could be the highest scoring OA available. Ang might get you a 16 year old, if not a 17/18 year old plus several picks. The Petes would be restocked with picks and could be buyers at this point next year.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
If they fire Hull, I imagine they'll just make Verner the interim coach and move Duco to the bench for the rest of the year and look for Hull's replacement in the summer.

If that's the case, I'd rather them sell and give next years coach the best opportunity to get off to a good start. I'd rather not see them try and salvage the season on an interim coach and get eliminated in the 1st/2nd round.

Sounds like Windsor won't be moving DiPietro, which could really help the Petes get a good return on Wells. Korostelev could be the highest scoring OA available. Ang might get you a 16 year old, if not a 17/18 year old plus several picks. The Petes would be restocked with picks and could be buyers at this point next year.

The Korostelev price has been set with the Luchuk deal. Roughly would likely be a 17 year old and 2 2nds+a 3rd

Last edited:
Reactions: Ptbomillsy619

Petes

Jun 23, 2014

100% this.

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004

I think you're absolutely right. As much as I have fond memories of Verner as a player, I think he's too closely tied in with Hull that a change wouldn't do much. Probably is time to sell, unfortunately (given the optimism heading into this year). I don't think they have the coaching to turn this good group into a good team this season. I expect it will be typical of how it has been the last few years: a couple good weekends in a row, followed by a couple of bad ones. Same old, same old.

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
I think you're absolutely right. As much as I have fond memories of Verner as a player, I think he's too closely tied in with Hull that a change wouldn't do much. Probably is time to sell, unfortunately (given the optimism heading into this year). I don't think they have the coaching to turn this good group into a good team this season. I expect it will be typical of how it has been the last few years: a couple good weekends in a row, followed by a couple of bad ones. Same old, same old.
What about Walser? No idea but he has a lot of hockey experience maybe a hard nose guy we need?

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
What about Walser? No idea but he has a lot of hockey experience maybe a hard nose guy we need?

I agree. I'd let Walser run the show as the interm HC for the time being if Hull is let go... bring Duco on the bench and see if they can get the boys playing with some passion again. Focus the rest of the season on player development.

Oke, trade everyone for youth and picks. Time to right this sinking ship.

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
I agree. I'd let Walser run the show as the interm HC for the time being if Hull is let go... bring Duco on the bench and see if they can get the boys playing with some passion again. Focus the rest of the season on player development.

Oke, trade everyone for youth and picks. Time to right this sinking ship.
Sorry but I don't know who is Walser ? and what he is doing now but would he give up his job up now to just be an interim, I know if I was in his position I would want an contract for more than what's left of this season, just saying.

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
Sorry but I don't know who is Walser ? and what he is doing now but would he give up his job up now to just be an interim, I know if I was in his position I would want an contract for more than what's left of this season, just saying.
He’s assistant with Petes was CHL player of the year in his junior days wants to be a HC eventually so it would be a raise from his current salary. I believe Duco may be the hard hand that is needed in the bench too to lay down some law he was a feisty player but is only eye in sky right now give him a spot on bench I bet he can get in a few guys ears. I truly believe with some d help they could still compete for the east. Tons of talent for sure just no firm hand to guide them imho

Reactions: Naz

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
He’s assistant with Petes was CHL player of the year in his junior days wants to be a HC eventually so it would be a raise from his current salary. I believe Duco may be the hard hand that is needed in the bench too to lay down some law he was a feisty player but is only eye in sky right now give him a spot on bench I bet he can get in a few guys ears. I truly believe with some d help they could still compete for the east. Tons of talent for sure just no firm hand to guide them imho
Thanks then it would be a good move for him.

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
Might be worth trying Walser. I think the Petes need to get with the times and try to give a younger coach a shot. Lots of teams have been having success with hiring guys just finishing pro careers. It's a bit risky, and I'm sure the Petes wouldn't want to do anything like that (though with the newer board, it's possible). They seem to like the safe picks, Pelino, McRae, Hull. But if you can get a younger guy just coming off a pro career, they are up to date with the trends in the game, would have a better idea of what players are after (wanting the best chance to get to a pro career) and would likely be in the Petes price range, since it would be their first coaching job.

Of course, I doubt they fire Hull and if they do I'm sure they'll go with another solid, uninspiring hire. Too bad Foster left. He would fit the bill.

I don't know a lot about Walser, other than that he was a high scoring defence man in Rimouski and was a player/coach with Belfast the last couple years. If they do give up on this season you might as well go all out and give a younger coach a shot. At least that's how I see it. The team will never go anywhere with Hull coaching. It's been proven over several seasons now.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
The move I really would like to see happen is Wells to Owen Sound with Russell coming back to PBO. He hasn't been able to show it yet but Russell had 29 goals in MM last season... will be a very good OHLer I think. Maybe get Lafreniere in return to help split 50/50 with Jones the rest of the way?

vince

Dec 6, 2017
I may be wrong....doubt it....but i dont see the craze in Dylan Wells. People were mentioning his name as a possible World Junior player selected, and i didnt understand why. If he is 6'2 he certainly plays small in the net.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
I may be wrong....doubt it....but i dont see the craze in Dylan Wells. People were mentioning his name as a possible World Junior player selected, and i didnt understand why. If he is 6'2 he certainly plays small in the net.

He's pretty damn close to being the franchise leader in Wins for a franchise that's been around for 60+ years.... he must be doing something right.

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
im not talking about past years but rather this year to date
Almost 900 save % for a guy that gets overworked and is a signed NHL goalie would be sought I’m sure. I’d take a chance on him if I needed a goalie especially now that dipietro likely won’t be moved

coolwood

Dec 9, 2016
IDK I personally wouldn't give up a '01 (01'?) for Wells but that may just be me. Also have to keep in mind that Degray seems to be very content with not paying big for goalies and just hoping for the best. The fact he wouldn't pay for like Helvig (whose price would have been manageable) says it probably won't happen

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
IDK I personally wouldn't give up a '01 (01'?) for Wells but that may just be me. Also have to keep in mind that Degray seems to be very content with not paying big for goalies and just hoping for the best. The fact he wouldn't pay for like Helvig (whose price would have been manageable) says it probably won't happen

Fair point I guess but pure stupidity on DeGrays part.... OS should be the one right there with SSM... instead they're stuck in this position because of him.

Wells playoff numbers speak for themselves... he could be the difference in OS getting past Sarnia/Soo or not....

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Fair point I guess but pure stupidity on DeGrays part.... OS should be the one right there with SSM... instead they're stuck in this position because of him.

Wells playoff numbers speak for themselves... he could be the difference in OS getting past Sarnia/Soo or not....
Quick question. Is Wells actually on the block or is it just being surmised that he is going to be traded?

Petes1

Oct 26, 2002
Quick question. Is Wells actually on the block or is it just being surmised that he is going to be traded?

It's possible the Petes will look to add, or stand pat. The talk of Wells being moved is just a few fans discussing the possibility if they were to sell.

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
Surmised, but I’d bet a decision will be made over buyer or seller and maybe coach before play picks up again, if so, Wells Ang Koro will all be put on block and bring something decent in return

Petesfan8

Dec 18, 2017
The comments on this site seem to put everything on the coaching. I disagree, I don't have enough information to know if Jody is an excellent coach or a poor coach or somewhere in between but I have not missed a home game this year and it is clear to me that the team is not good enough and as well has been decimated by injuries. The coaches dont choose the players that task falls on the scouts and ultimately the G.M. The Petes looked good in October and I believe that they were not as good as everybody thought and now they are not as bad as some fans feel that they are. The Petes management made a big deal about acquiring Chris Paquette a year ago and what has he done this year, (Minus 18) and he didn't look good in the playoffs last year. Matt Timms (Minus 19) although good with the puck is too small to play defence in this league. Let's also not forget that our most consistent defenceman (Chisholm) is injured. My thoughts are if they can stay away from a slew of injuries they will be a .500 hockey team the rest of the year because that is what they should be with the talent that they have. Is there a reason Barrett Hayton is not a Pete? It is unfortunate that they couldn't keep Kurtis Foster but hindsight is 50-50.

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
The comments on this site seem to put everything on the coaching. I disagree, I don't have enough information to know if Jody is an excellent coach or a poor coach or somewhere in between but I have not missed a home game this year and it is clear to me that the team is not good enough and as well has been decimated by injuries. The coaches dont choose the players that task falls on the scouts and ultimately the G.M. The Petes looked good in October and I believe that they were not as good as everybody thought and now they are not as bad as some fans feel that they are. The Petes management made a big deal about acquiring Chris Paquette a year ago and what has he done this year, (Minus 18) and he didn't look good in the playoffs last year. Matt Timms (Minus 19) although good with the puck is too small to play defence in this league. Let's also not forget that our most consistent defenceman (Chisholm) is injured. My thoughts are if they can stay away from a slew of injuries they will be a .500 hockey team the rest of the year because that is what they should be with the talent that they have. Is there a reason Barrett Hayton is not a Pete? It is unfortunate that they couldn't keep Kurtis Foster but hindsight is 50-50.
Haha you just answered your own question can you guess why Hayton isn’t a Pete?! I do. You go to all the games? Ever see anyone of the vets losing ice time for dumb pims poor defensive plays? Ever see accountability? We have 5 6 guys that were are NHL picks we have 4 on NHL watch list!! Drafting isn’t an issue I’d say I think they’ve done ok and Oke brought in paquette as you said who had I think 50pts now he’s dropped in production is this his fault? Could it be systems? Is it always our players? I just think their team needs a change. My theory is that Petes came out early with talent and jumped ahead then once other teams coaching started to kick in and new players rookies trades etc learned their system Petes were too easy to play against I’m afraid to me Watching most games live too they aren’t playing for Hull now

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
Reading through this thread there seems to be more than a few people that feel a sale is in the near future. As an Owen Sound fan, I wonder what the Pete's fans would think is fair return for; 97 RW/Korostelev if the Pete's do "sell off"?
Maybe; 2'nd/21, 2'nd/23, 3'rd/24
Interested to see the response.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Reading through this thread there seems to be more than a few people that feel a sale is in the near future. As an Owen Sound fan, I wonder what the Pete's fans would think is fair return for; 97 RW/Korostelev if the Pete's do "sell off"?
Maybe; 2'nd/21, 2'nd/23, 3'rd/24
Interested to see the response.

Seems fair too me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad