Peterborough Petes 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
The Petes won 9 of their first 14 games this season and Hull was being considered for Coach of the Year. They have since gone on to win just 5 of their next 14 games and some fans want a coaching change. He's the same guy so maybe he can turn things around very soon.

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
The Petes won 9 of their first 14 games this season and Hull was being considered for Coach of the Year. They have since gone on to win just 5 of their next 14 games and some fans want a coaching change. He's the same guy so maybe he can turn things around very soon.
To be fair, a lot of fans have wanted a coaching change looooooong before the last 14 games.

Reactions: Petes

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
I would be shocked if Robertson was moved. Would be monumentally stupid and while you can question the price he paid in a couple moves, Oke for the most part has done pretty well in improving the team, in both draft and trades.

I don't think chemistry is a thing. Teams are always said to have good chemistry when they're winning and poor chemistry when they're not. Bringing in a better OA defenceman would mean more winning and all of a sudden chemistry is perfect/not discussed.

This may be true... BUT, character is certainly a thing. I know that is something he brings to this team... I'm just saying we can't take a good leader out of the room and add a bad Apple too it.... that could be a recipe for disaster.

If we are going to upgrade Black... Semerck has to be target #1.

Last edited:

Petes1

Oct 26, 2002
If you fire Hull, is Walser still your defencive coach? Seems people also think he's an issue. A #1 defenceman will make him and the team look better, I'm not sure you're going from one of the worst defencive teams to one of the best though with one move.

The risk/reward of going all in 2 years in a row is pretty big. A #1 defenceman is going to cost either multiple high picks, or a good young player with a few high picks. The Petes are already thin on high picks, they don't have any prospects having standout seasons and if you remove one of your high upside 16/17 year olds from your future, you're pretty much going to be forced to be spend the next 2-3 years rebuilding. Obviously if they go to the Memorial Cup it's worth it, I tend to agree they aren't one piece away though.

Hamilton can still make another big move or two, Ottawa and Kingston are in better positions then the Petes to do so, Oshawa is getting Jones back and will likely continue to look to add to next years team. The Petes aren't going to benefit from every team selling/standing pat like last year.

They have to get another top 9 forward, Isaacson is not a realistic option when he returns. Paquette needs to be a lot better too. Gogolev can't go on 10 game stretches without putting up points.

12 games remain until trade deadline, only 2 against sub .500 teams. Good test for them to show if they belong.

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
If you fire Hull, is Walser still your defencive coach? Seems people also think he's an issue. A #1 defenceman will make him and the team look better, I'm not sure you're going from one of the worst defencive teams to one of the best though with one move.
I'm fine if it's Walser that goes rather than Hull.

Adding a #1 defenceman gets you to about level with last year IMO. #1 D and Chisholm as the top pair, Osmanski/Timms/Fraser/Black fill out the bottom as Prophet/Timms/Fraser/Black did last year. If it's Black who leaves for the new #1 D, then insert Babintsev/Beraldo/McNamara in his spot and you're no worse off, or maybe better.

That Timms-Black pairing has become a disaster. Timms plays an offensive puck moving style and takes chances up the ice. He wants to play the role of a Jake Gardiner or Erik Karlsson or whoever you like as that type of player but when he gets caught, unlike all those other guys, he isn't near quick enough to get back in time. Black isn't quick enough either to cover for him. I almost think Timms needs to play with Chisholm, it would be a high risk, high reward pairing but at least Chisholm could skate them out of some mistakes/turnovers. I know they're both left shots but so are Timms and Black. I don't know if that is the answer but I hope we see some different defensive pairings tonight.

Reactions: Zebra

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
This may be true... BUT, character is certainly a thing. I know that is something he brings to this team... I'm just saying we can't take a good leader out of the room and add a bad Apple too it.... that could be a recipe for disaster.

If we are going to upgrade Black... Semerck has to be target #1.

As a fan of a team who gave away Smereck because everyone in the room hated him, I can definitely confirm that what you said in the beginning of this message would mean you don't want Smereck

Petes

Jun 23, 2014

The risk/reward of going all in 2 years in a row is pretty big. A #1 defenceman is going to cost either multiple high picks, or a good young player with a few high picks. The Petes are already thin on high picks, they don't have any prospects having standout seasons and if you remove one of your high upside 16/17 year olds from your future, you're pretty much going to be forced to be spend the next 2-3 years rebuilding. Obviously if they go to the Memorial Cup it's worth it, I tend to agree they aren't one piece away though.

Hamilton can still make another big move or two, Ottawa and Kingston are in better positions then the Petes to do so, Oshawa is getting Jones back and will likely continue to look to add to next years team. The Petes aren't going to benefit from every team selling/standing pat like last year.

They have to get another top 9 forward, Isaacson is not a realistic option when he returns. Paquette needs to be a lot better too. Gogolev can't go on 10 game stretches without putting up points.

12 games remain until trade deadline, only 2 against sub .500 teams. Good test for them to show if they belong.

So Petes1, you think they should sell... or stand pat/make minor moves?

Zebra

Feb 12, 2017
I am okay if it Walser that goes too- I think the big difference is the defensive coaching.
Jake Grimes must have been a bigger influence on our team than I had realized.

So really I don't suppose it would matter who we traded for because maybe it is our coaching and developing that's the problem not the actual player.

Petes1

Oct 26, 2002
They lost 3 of their top 4 defenceman over the off season and replaced them with 3 17 year olds who have been rotating in and out of the lineup.

The Petes being a worse defencive team shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

So Petes1, you think they should sell... or stand pat/make minor moves?

I'm on the fence. Like you, I'm not convinced the team is a move away. The competition is tougher this year. They are healthy now (although Ang is about to leave) so we will see if they can move up the standings prior to the deadline. Firing Walser doesn't make a team that's looked awful a lot of nights on the road a better team.

If they go all in on one or two guys, they could win it all. If they don't, I think we are in for a very lengthy rebuild. If they remain around .500, I wouldn't trade any of Robertson, Chisholm, Jones, Gogolev, SDA.

If you can flip guys like Denault/Beraldo/McNamara/Isaacson/JPJ and a pick for upgrades, I'm in favor of that. Is there a market for any of them though? Isaacson is probably the biggest name of the bunch, but better/similar players have been waived through the league this year.

If they sold, I think they could remain competitive for the next 2.5 years because of the 2000 born players on the team. Add pieces around them and there's no reason they can't remain in the upper half of the league for the next few years. Petes are going to have to recoup some of those picks they traded last year at some point, whether it's this year or next, trading Ang and Wells will both bring you a good young player and multiple high picks.

Zebra

Feb 12, 2017
I am at the game and we are in the third and Duco is behind the bench as well as Walser , Hull and Verner

That’s different-
Haven’t seen Duco behind the bench yet this year

foghorn

Nov 4, 2017
:help:

foghorn

Nov 4, 2017
the first games of a season are teams getting to learn systems learning each other my opinion the petes were winning alone on talent no system just playing ..now teams have learned systems and the petes are being out coached at this point in season like the finals last year

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Thank the refs for having an huge impact on this game. Terrible non calls and the OT penalty to Pezzetta. These two refs Neeley and Lewis should not be officiating in the OHL the game is obviously too fast for them.

WJ

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
Thank the refs for having an huge impact on this game. Terrible non calls and the OT penalty to Pezzetta. These two refs Neeley and Lewis should not be officiating in the OHL the game is obviously too fast for them.

WJ
The OT call was bad, but there were a lot of other bad calls or non calls both ways before that. Take a garbage hit by a garbage player that may cost the Petes best defenceman a big part of his season but no penalty called for example...

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
I am at the game and we are in the third and Duco is behind the bench as well as Walser , Hull and Verner

That’s different-
Haven’t seen Duco behind the bench yet this year
Duco for head coach!! He wasn't there until the third I think... we noticed this too.

Reactions: Zebra

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
Chisholm......OUCH, I thought he had broken his leg, but word on the street is a high ankle sprain

Beraldo played well tonight when he was pressed into a regular shift......Petes showed good resilience and depth with Dow and Robertson out of the lineup and Chisholm knocked out early

Petes were getting chances and either getting stoned by Culina or making one too many passes (or was it three!).

Tough weekend with 3 in 3.......London and Sarnia will be hard road games.

Petes are perfect for December so far.......hopefully they can keep it going

Lefthander

Apr 3, 2017
The OT call was bad, but there were a lot of other bad calls or non calls both ways before that. Take a garbage hit by a garbage player that may cost the Petes best defenceman a big part of his season but no penalty called for example...
If you think that was a garbage hit you know absolutely nothing about hockey perfectly clean hit unfortunately Chisholm fell awkwardly.

Reactions: Wolfman Jack

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
Chisholm......OUCH, I thought he had broken his leg, but word on the street is a high ankle sprain

Beraldo played well tonight when he was pressed into a regular shift......Petes showed good resilience and depth with Dow and Robertson out of the lineup and Chisholm knocked out early
I've said it here before, but Beraldo is one of the 6 best defencemen on this roster right now...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad