Peterborough Petes 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
Reading through this thread there seems to be more than a few people that feel a sale is in the near future. As an Owen Sound fan, I wonder what the Pete's fans would think is fair return for; 97 RW/Korostelev if the Pete's do "sell off"?
Maybe; 2'nd/21, 2'nd/23, 3'rd/24
Interested to see the response.
I’d think they’d want a 2nd for this year? But who knows

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
The comments on this site seem to put everything on the coaching. I disagree, I don't have enough information to know if Jody is an excellent coach or a poor coach or somewhere in between but I have not missed a home game this year and it is clear to me that the team is not good enough and as well has been decimated by injuries. The coaches dont choose the players that task falls on the scouts and ultimately the G.M. The Petes looked good in October and I believe that they were not as good as everybody thought and now they are not as bad as some fans feel that they are. The Petes management made a big deal about acquiring Chris Paquette a year ago and what has he done this year, (Minus 18) and he didn't look good in the playoffs last year. Matt Timms (Minus 19) although good with the puck is too small to play defence in this league. Let's also not forget that our most consistent defenceman (Chisholm) is injured. My thoughts are if they can stay away from a slew of injuries they will be a .500 hockey team the rest of the year because that is what they should be with the talent that they have. Is there a reason Barrett Hayton is not a Pete? It is unfortunate that they couldn't keep Kurtis Foster but hindsight is 50-50.

It is definitely too easy to lay all the blame in one direction, but I do feel the bulk has to land on Hull. Especially since Oke went ahead and made a couple of big trades to improve the team last year, which previous GM's haven't been willing to do, for the most part.

How often does the team come out with no energy? Whether you're watching the game, or reading about it in the paper, how often do you hear the same things from the coaches? "We had no jump" or "we came out flat". I would say, without exaggeration, that on average every 3rd game the coaches are saying this. There's no doubt teams will have lulls in a 68 game season, especially when they frequently play 3 games in 4 (or less) days, but the Petes are pretty much constantly like this. Even if they've had a week off. Or it's a home game against a big team. Players have changed over the years and it still happens all the time. I think it's fair to say that has to fall on the coach.

As was mentioned by another poster, there is no accountability for players. I get that injuries have hurt in that regard, but how often do you see Ang out there for a minute plus, get tired and lazy and take a dumb penalty? He was among the leaders in PIM's a few weeks ago for the whole league. But he still gets his ice time. You'd think maybe some of his bad habits would have been changed by now, but they're still there and he really hasn't developed much since early last season. There had to be reasons he was cut right away by Team Canada. Also, if he gets traded to a better team, say London, Owen Sound, Kitchener or another western team, I bet he improves immensely.

And then there's Timms. What can you say? How often does he end up stuck behind the other team's net and can't get back? Every game, just about. How often does he do his little drop pass at the blue line to nobody? He is a great passer, but a terrible defence man, yet he's out there all the time. Granted, defence has been hit hard by injuries and suspensions too, but there is no accountability for veterans. They make the same mistakes over and over and keep getting the ice time while the younger kids sit on the bench or the press box, never getting a chance. Can't imagine that's great for their morale. If the team was great and really rolling it would be more understandable, but if you see your "leaders" making dumb plays and taking lazy penalties and still getting all the ice time, it has to be frustrating.

Being the coach is the tough position because you'll never get credit for wins, but always take the blame for losses. It's the way it is if you coach. But when you look at the past few seasons for the Petes, the players have changed but the same problems on the ice are still there, and I think it all comes back to the head coach. All the evidence points towards Hull being a significant part of the problem.

Reactions: Ptbomillsy619

Ptbomillsy619

Dec 17, 2017
I may be wrong....doubt it....but i dont see the craze in Dylan Wells. People were mentioning his name as a possible World Junior player selected, and i didnt understand why. If he is 6'2 he certainly plays small in the net.

Going into this he had the chance to be a top goalie in the ohl he hasn’t played that well but with the defence we have it doesn’t help your cause. avging 40 shots allowed a game has got to be tough

Ptbomillsy619

Dec 17, 2017
Timms is Brutal it’s saying something when a top minute d man isn’t in the game we play a lot better send him down the road for a bag of used pucks!

Johny ang is a great player but he’s got his head in his ass very predictable speed down the wing if there is no pass I’ll go behind the net back out to the blue line and look for a shot. He plays like he’s still in minor hockey always tries to do it himself no team play

I know coaching is a huge problem with the program but if the players can buy in to play for each other they have the talent to go far this year. We need a big puck moving defence men and a goal scorer/ play maker that can keep up with Korostelevs game there is nhl talent there that has no one to play with get a guy in like Lorentz to play with him they will pile up the points

Trade away guys like gallant he will bring back talent and move Paugette back to centre. Or a guy like gogolev he’s having a good second year I think he’ll bring back talent Them with a few picks which we have plenty of talent to go after

Reactions: WillardJFredricks

viewfromabove

Nov 29, 2017
So let the Walser the defense coach run this team? Has anyone watched him coach the back end? that would be a disaster. The last thing he should be doing is running the whole team. Get Foster and Grimes back. And as far as the players go, some of them have quit, the young kids are battling hard every night. I feel sorry for them. The fact that Hull has called them out that some of them haven't lived up to their potential is part of the problem on this team. He doesn't give them a fair chance or set them up for success, and when they make a mistake he buries them, no wonder they play afraid of making mistakes. I guess he forgets the start of the year when 4 rookie defenseman held this team in and led them to a top ten ranking. Maybe these veterans should wake up and stop pointing fingers. The morale is shot on this team and changes should be made. From top to bottom. And as for Hayton not being a Pete, its the same reason we haven't been able to attract top talent hear the last ten years, no one will come play here. Time for change

foghorn

Nov 4, 2017
So let the Walser the defense coach run this team? Has anyone watched him coach the back end? that would be a disaster. The last thing he should be doing is running the whole team. Get Foster and Grimes back. And as far as the players go, some of them have quit, the young kids are battling hard every night. I feel sorry for them. The fact that Hull has called them out that some of them haven't lived up to their potential is part of the problem on this team. He doesn't give them a fair chance or set them up for success, and when they make a mistake he buries them, no wonder they play afraid of making mistakes. I guess he forgets the start of the year when 4 rookie defenseman held this team in and led them to a top ten ranking. Maybe these veterans should wake up and stop pointing fingers. The morale is shot on this team and changes should be made. From top to bottom. And as for Hayton not being a Pete, its the same reason we haven't been able to attract top talent hear the last ten years, no one will come play here. Time for change
well i can argue that the same walser ran the defense with rookies at the start of the season who were doing pretty damn well ..its when vets came back that was the issue. Walser has pro coaching experience which foster and grimes do not have although i do like both guys but theyre gone now and would likely only change at seasons end. oke would know what walser would bring in an interview maybe he's seen the lack of accoutability and would bring a priority to this issue, we are hurting our nhl picks as well with bad habits not a breeding ground that nhl teams will want to leave picks with.

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
It can be said to @ the start of the season most OHL teams don't have some of there NHL drafted players back from the NHL camps, so that's why the Pete's might had a good start to the season and as players came back teams got better just a thought.

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
It can be said to @ the start of the season most OHL teams don't have some of there NHL drafted players back from the NHL camps, so that's why the Pete's might had a good start to the season and as players came back teams got better just a thought.
Sure, but who was away in the East until mid-October? The Mississauga guys but that team has tanked too. Am I missing players that you're referring to?

foghorn

Nov 4, 2017
bottom line is the Petes need a shakeup and thats a certainty if its not done then shame on them. I believe the attendance is up due to their good start, good lineup and staffs hard work, but if they keep tanking and lose fans again it may be a looooooong time before they get them back and the board does not want to see this at all so I look for something very soon happening.

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
I'm not sure I expect a shakeup from them. I doubt the Board would act and fire Hull, and even if they did, as was mentioned before, Verner would likely just take over and I doubt anything would change. The Eastern conference is pretty weak again this year (though Hamilton does look pretty good) so with the group the Petes have, there's still a good chance they could make it through a couple of rounds. With the losses that will be coming due to graduation, it's likely the next couple of teams will be weaker and fighting for the last playoff spot. So, as was mentioned in the Examiner article today, I don't know if selling off everyone is the answer. I think they need to make a change in coaching and see if that can spark a nice run for this group. I know they need some draft picks back, but if they don't try for it again this year, it will just keep that cycle going which has been the last 20 years: 1 legitimate contending team every 5 seasons or so, on average. Every other year it's just a battle for 8th place and 2 home playoff games. Of course, with a change in coaching, maybe some of the younger players will actually develop...

foghorn

Nov 4, 2017
I'm not sure I expect a shakeup from them. I doubt the Board would act and fire Hull, and even if they did, as was mentioned before, Verner would likely just take over and I doubt anything would change. The Eastern conference is pretty weak again this year (though Hamilton does look pretty good) so with the group the Petes have, there's still a good chance they could make it through a couple of rounds. With the losses that will be coming due to graduation, it's likely the next couple of teams will be weaker and fighting for the last playoff spot. So, as was mentioned in the Examiner article today, I don't know if selling off everyone is the answer. I think they need to make a change in coaching and see if that can spark a nice run for this group. I know they need some draft picks back, but if they don't try for it again this year, it will just keep that cycle going which has been the last 20 years: 1 legitimate contending team every 5 seasons or so, on average. Every other year it's just a battle for 8th place and 2 home playoff games. Of course, with a change in coaching, maybe some of the younger players will actually develop...
sort of confusing you first say doubt they will, then say even if they did you doubt it would change, then you think they should make a change and YES the younger guys will develop under a guy who believes in them? IMO 100% they need a coaching shakeup it isnt working now so you cant lose by doing it even if they use Walser/Vernor until end of season then bring in a guy they think is best through interviews and it may be one of those guys on the bench maybe they cant do what they want now but have great vision if the leader

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
sort of confusing you first say doubt they will, then say even if they did you doubt it would change, then you think they should make a change and YES the younger guys will develop under a guy who believes in them? IMO 100% they need a coaching shakeup it isnt working now so you cant lose by doing it even if they use Walser/Vernor until end of season then bring in a guy they think is best through interviews and it may be one of those guys on the bench maybe they cant do what they want now but have great vision if the leader

True, lol. I'm confused about this year's team. I really don't know what the best thing for them to do is.

Petes1

Oct 26, 2002
What I'm interested in is why Oke was extended at the end of last year, but not Hull. Was it because they wanted another year to evaluate Hull? If so, shouldn't the evaluation process be over?

If the season ended today, Hull would not be offered a new contract. How much longer do you need to wait?

Keeping him leads me to believe they don't plan on selling though. If they were giving up on the season, they wouldn't keep him around.

They aren't catching Hamilton at this point, so the best they can do is 3rd. 4 wins in 18 games on the road and they've been falling further and further back from getting home ice in the 1st round.

Reactions: Petes

Ptbomillsy619

Dec 17, 2017
With all this taken and hope ok is working on the coaching or bringing some players in.
Doesn’t the fact that we need a new arena play a part in this it was said about the attendance on the rise due to last year and hot start this year. Wouldn’t keeping this trend going help speed up the new arena process showing that ppl are comitting to the team again and filling the building

What’s everyone opinion on this ?

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
With all this taken and hope ok is working on the coaching or bringing some players in.
Doesn’t the fact that we need a new arena play a part in this it was said about the attendance on the rise due to last year and hot start this year. Wouldn’t keeping this trend going help speed up the new arena process showing that ppl are comitting to the team again and filling the building

What’s everyone opinion on this ?
Totally agree . you have to keep the momentum going and right now it’s slowing to a crawl the board HAS to make a move!!

Petes198

Dec 20, 2017
Totally agree . you have to keep the momentum going and right now it’s slowing to a crawl the board HAS to make a move!!
I would be surprised if they get a new arena till such time as the Petes demonstrate they are back to the glory years. Not going to happen with management team that is in place right now. Been saying for 3 years Manager and coach has to go, last game they played their rookie for the first time and was their best defenceman. No mentioned from coach on how well he played.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
I would be surprised if they get a new arena till such time as the Petes demonstrate they are back to the glory years. Not going to happen with management team that is in place right now. Been saying for 3 years Manager and coach has to go, last game they played their rookie for the first time and was their best defenceman. No mentioned from coach on how well he played.

I agree. Supryka was quite good actually and there was no mention of that at all...

I wonder if Robertson was pissed watching Supryka get PP time in his first game while he's stapled to the bench?.... he could be a star player if they were to develop him right and he grows a little... not confident this staff will ever get the best out of him.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Petes not hitting panic button

Well we have our answer.. Hull going no where and Oke will look to improve the roster. Not the right decision IMO.... seems like they're being short sighted here and prioritizing a little bit of playoff revenue over the future. This team is going to struggle big time for the next few years... no picks and no prospects coming up.

Reactions: Petes1

Snipes 29

Dec 1, 2013
I totally agree few prospects and no picks for future spells it out sell sell sell no choice? Owen Sound good team no Tender good place for Dylan Wells, Jonathan Ang should bring a nice price, I would unload all of Timleck , Gallant Korostelev,Timms, and Svoboda would want either draft picks immediately or good young players for each piece. This team is going no where 4 wins in 14 road games their play has been horrible as of lately. And yes at end of season a new Coach. Your eyes tell you all you need to know just watch teams play, do they hustle do they compete, do they win or loose one on one battles? A coach must make players accountable. Dumb penalties selfish play too many passes,its all right their for you too see. Are we bad in our own zone? You even see things you cant measure like will take Logan Denoble for instant a player who works hard competes and has unbelievable courage to block shots every single shift. Warrior! Oh and one more thing Draft some Size!!!

Last edited:

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I totally agree few prospects and no picks for future spells it out sell sell sell no choice? Owen Sound good team no Tender good place for Dylan Wells, Jonathan Ang should bring a nice price, I would unload all of Timleck , Gallant Korostelev,Timms, and Svoboda would want either draft picks immediately or good young players for each piece. This team is going no where 4 wins in 14 road games their play has been horrible as of lately. And yes at end of season a new Coach.
Petes are only missing one 2nd in the next 9 years. So picks are not an issue unless your GM decides to make a splash for whatever reason.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
I totally agree few prospects and no picks for future spells it out sell sell sell no choice? Owen Sound good team no Tender good place for Dylan Wells, Jonathan Ang should bring a nice price, I would unload all of Timleck , Gallant Korostelev,Timms, and Svoboda would want either draft picks immediately or good young players for each piece. This team is going no where 4 wins in 14 road games their play has been horrible as of lately. And yes at end of season a new Coach.

I would keep Gallant and Timleck. The rest can go.

Petes198

Dec 20, 2017
I agree. Supryka was quite good actually and there was no mention of that at all...

I wonder if Robertson was pissed watching Supryka get PP time in his first game while he's stapled to the bench?.... he could be a star player if they were to develop him right and he grows a little... not confident this staff will ever get the best out of him.

Petes198

Dec 20, 2017
We have three no trade players Chisholm, Supryka and Robertson. Three years ago, you would have Ang and Gallant in there but these players have not developed under Hull. Leaving management there we risk losing the three as The Hunters, Raftis of the league will come knocking and guess who they will want.

Maybe its time again to entertain selling the team? What about Doug Gibson or Steve Larmer coaching the team, it could be they would want the Manager's job as well for the first few years to instill some pride back into this team?

viewfromabove

Nov 29, 2017
how do you think Beraldo Babinstev and McNamara felt? These guys have played their guts out when called upon and a rookie comes up and plays on the power play? What kind of message does that tell them? Even poor Black didn't get a sniff. Just another kick in the head for the young kids. And as for Robertson, he should be pissed. Hes by far the hardest working guy every night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad