Peterborough Petes 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zebra

Feb 12, 2017
You are absolutely correct NV -Duco was not behind the bench until the third.

He came out with the other coaches and stayed. I also noticed that Hull-Duco-Verner stood together and huddled a few times whereas Walser stayed at his end of the bench and didn’t join the discussions

Maybe I am reading too much into the body language but it looked like Walser is out of the loop

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
You are absolutely correct NV -Duco was not behind the bench until the third.

He came out with the other coaches and stayed. I also noticed that Hull-Duco-Verner stood together and huddled a few times whereas Walser stayed at his end of the bench and didn’t join the discussions

Maybe I am reading too much into the body language but it looked like Walser is out of the loop
Or maybe you are correct and he’s fed up with what he’s been seeing....tons of shots against, poor starts and no accountability

Reactions: Petes

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
I don't think so. Parker-Jones only saw the ice once or twice. Petes mostly rolled 3 lines with Denault getting an occasional shift here and there.

Beraldo became the 6th dman when Chisholm went down.

When is a sprain worse than a break?
When it’s a high ankle sprain and u r out for 10 to 12 weeks, instead of the 6 weeks u would be out with a break

OUCH

MCur19

Sep 27, 2017
Not sure why they go back to Wells tonight when they have the Sting tomorrow night
This should be a Jones start tonight

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Not sure why they go back to Wells tonight when they have the Sting tomorrow night

I agree. We aren't the only team that doesn't use their backup goalie however.... Raaymakers is starting his 19th straight for LDN. :popcorn:

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
Didn’t we do this the last 3in3 now jones gets top rated team sarnia...go get em kid...not good

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Well.... that was ugly. Maybe that game was the turning point Wellsy needed to turn his season around? 10 forwards to start and JPJ and Denault still didn't see a regular shift.

This team, man....

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
Well.... that was ugly. Maybe that game was the turning point Wellsy needed to turn his season around? 10 forwards to start and JPJ and Denault still didn't see a regular shift.

This team, man....
Don’t get why they don’t use JPJ more seems like his point to playing time ratio is pretty high isn’t it? Ok here’s where I answer my own question..HC loves his vets no matter what.. that’s his downfall every year same thing ..guys get off to slow start in their draft year because they didn’t play their rookie year enough

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
(Most), rookies won’t help you win though. Most teams, unless they have to (see Petes D), don’t give rookies much game time.
The Petes strength (besides Wells in top form) is the top 9 forwards. They can handle 55 minutes in close contests.
When rookies (Robertson) (SDA last season) show in limited minutes an ability to play up in the line up, move them up.
Say whatever you want about developing rookies or how weak the coach is, the team’s issue is on defence. Get two, the team will instantly be a contender.
And, everyone is happy! :)
The Petes will have plenty of OA to trade in the off-season to start replenishing picks.

Last edited:
Reactions: NorthernVoice

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Don’t get why they don’t use JPJ more seems like his point to playing time ratio is pretty high isn’t it? Ok here’s where I answer my own question..HC loves his vets no matter what.. that’s his downfall every year same thing ..guys get off to slow start in their draft year because they didn’t play their rookie year enough

Parker-Jones is in his draft year and was rated for the draft by central scouting... still the coaches won't give him any ice to show what he can do.

Jody proved last night he would rather ride his vets into the ground and have them be absolutely exhausted over using JPJ and Denault for a regular shift.

I don't get it. JPJ could be for us what Douglas is for the Colts...

Snipes 29

Dec 1, 2013

This team, man....
I'm a season ticket holder a lot of people are saying we need a change at head coach? We go with 10 forwards don't bring up anyone? Our passing is brutal lately what is going on?

Snipes 29

Dec 1, 2013
I'm a season ticket holder a lot of people are saying we need a change at head coach? We go with 10 forwards don't bring up anyone? Our passing is brutal lately what is going on?
Oh and by the way what is with the London Knights only picking Knights for the 3 stars? Are you kidding me, this isn't about the Nights nation? Stop embarrassing the league and your club with childish shameful antics. Branch should find clubs who enlist such tactics. Oh and someone please explain to me how Owen Tippet was left off the world juniors roster?

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
WJC is a tournament of mostly 19 yr olds. Tippet as good as he is, obviously did not show enough this summer and fall to prove he is among the four most suitable RW; or, be among the handful of 17-18 yr olds attending camp.

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
(Most), rookies won’t help you win though. Most teams, unless they have to (see Petes D), don’t give rookies much game time.
The Petes strength (besides Wells in top form) is the top 9 forwards. They can handle 55 minutes in close contests.
When rookies (Robertson) (SDA last season) show in limited minutes an ability to play up in the line up, move them up.
Say whatever you want about developing rookies or how weak the coach is, the team’s issue is on defence. Get two, the team will instantly be a contender.
The Petes will have plenty of OA to trade in the off-season to start replenishing picks.
You won’t convince me of that at all...see last years D !! it’s the system or lack thereof that’s the issue, yes they need a d especially with Chisholm down but even when he was in they needed a d but these forwards should still be able to put enough goals to offset goals against..we are too easy to play against too predictable that falls on one person I’m afraid..so I politely disagree

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
Svoboda and Timms were out with the flu......who were they going to call up at the last minute?
I’m with Dirty on this one......let’s pick up a D or two and replenish the picks in the off season
Last night was one of Wells’ best games of the year, so hopefully that bodes well going forward

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
Yep.

foghorn

Nov 4, 2017
Svoboda and Timms were out with the flu......who were they going to call up at the last minute?
I’m with Dirty on this one......let’s pick up a D or two and replenish the picks in the off season
Last night was one of Wells’ best games of the year, so hopefully that bodes well going forward
supryka.. another young guy that will need to be ready for next year

Petes1

Oct 26, 2002
4 road wins, 11 losses.

Does adding a defenceman or two fix that? The defencemen they are throwing out there don't seem to be hurting them on home ice.

Also, they aren't restocking draft picks by trading potential OA's. The majority of OA's traded this year have been dealt for a 4th or lower pick.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
4th for OA is certainly the flavour of the season :) Sherwood, Moore, Fergus got more; and, Helvig & Luchuk will too.
I do think that if the Petes chose to trade some of Paquette, Timms, Timleck, and any potential 19 yr olds acquired for a run as OA, they would get good returns.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
If the OHL draft were today the Petes would pick 8th.... kinda puts things into perspective of how bad things have gone after the hot start.

I'm honestly fine with whatever Oke does... this draft is supposed to the best in the past 5-7 years or so... That has me intrigued... and I think we may be wasting assets if we try to contend cause the problem isn't the players.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zebra

Petes1

Oct 26, 2002
Sherwood and Moore both had over 85 point seasons as 19 year olds. Paquette is on pace for 34. His value is closer to Kohn then Moore and Sherwood.

Timms gets you more, possibly Timleck as well, but its still very little in comparison to what they've given up.

Point is, they've traded ten 2nd and 3rd rounders for Paquette and Korostelev, a #1 defenceman will cost a few more. Trading OA's will barely make a dent in replenishing those picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad