Confirmed with Link: Peter Chiarelli meeting with the Oilers

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Yeah Im not expecting anything tonight, but ya never know! Well I do know, Im just impatient

For what it's worth spec is the guy to watch in this story. That's who Friedman gave his props to early tonight before the start of the games

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
Okay let's get back on topic here and away from the circumstances that Seguin left Boston.

To add what Nuny said and since we're nearing 1k, consider this the only warning for next thread.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
It would be pretty stupid if they "plan" to fire Mac T in a few months or a year. You replace him quick and don't risk any dumb moves or signings.

Exactly.. especially with interviews at the combine coming in Mid may. Ideally he's gone before that if you're getting rid of him.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
It would be pretty stupid if they "plan" to fire Mac T in a few months or a year. You replace him quick and don't risk any dumb moves or signings.

Peter Chiarelli would be the person making the final decisions. MacT wouldn't be able to make those moves without the approval of the new President of Hockey Operations.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
To add what Nuny said and since we're nearing 1k, consider this the only warning for next thread.

Okay let's get back on topic here and away from the circumstances that Seguin left Boston.

can I add

That when talking about Seguin and WHY PC traded needs to be backed up with actual media reports (like the ones I presented)

Or just post

Seguin was traded because of non-hockey related issues and post the youtube video where Neely more or less it is time to cut our losses

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
can I add

That when talking about Seguin and WHY PC traded needs to be backed up with actual media reports (like the ones I presented)

Or just post

Seguin was traded because of non-hockey related issues and post the youtube video where Neely more or less it is time to cut our losses

I've seen you spam that video so much JTS. Let it go.

This isn't a discussion. You either get it or you do not.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I am 100% behind Chia because I heard what prompted the Seguin trade and I would've dealt him too. There's a reason why Neely wasn't second guessing him and they still dealt him when Horton wasn't coming back.

Not really an excuse for getting pennies on the dollar. It isn't like other GMs were going to black list a 19 year old for an immature act that is sadly fairly commonplace in the NHL (from what we all hear)

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012

More importantly, you risk missing out on trades/signings that MacTavish is unable to see/attempt. It's one thing to tell MacTavish he can't trade Hall for a conditional first rounder, the POHO would be able to handle that. The real risk would be MacTavish not making a trade at the draft because he doesn't know that player X is available for a third and a fifth or MacTavish drafting more BCHLers.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Not really an excuse for getting pennies on the dollar. It isn't like other GMs were going to black list a 19 year old for an immature act that is sadly fairly commonplace in the NHL (from what we all hear)

The return is a fair critique IMO.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
The Bruins never found any late round picks under Chiarelli.

I don't think Lucic and Marchand really count as Chiarelli was hired only a month before the 2006 draft.

The Bruins haven't found an NHL regular outside of the first round since then.

You're right..hmm i'm an idiot.
I relied on memory, instead of doing any research.

Kitchener Boy

Apr 9, 2012
Kitchener
The Bruins never found any late round picks under Chiarelli.

I don't think Lucic and Marchand really count as Chiarelli was hired only a month before the 2006 draft.

The Bruins haven't found an NHL regular outside of the first round since then.

Actually they have a couple Ryan Spooner and Zach Trotman.
And they replaced there chief scout and hired Keith Gretzky for that job.

Alberta

Jul 20, 2005
Ah yes, the old wait option. Meanwhile Toronto goes and snaps everyone up and we're left with MacT and Lowe. This is the Oilers we're talking about. If they got a new GM (or POHO) along with new scouts pre-draft that would make it even better, would it not?

And reasonably, who's going to be available? Who's going to fire their GM? Basically guaranteed that no Canadian team turfs their GM. Ducks won't, Hawks won't, Blues won't, Minny won't, Preds won't. That's already all the West teams eliminated.

Now let's look at the East. Barring a complete collapse the Rangers won't fire Sather (and even if they did they won't), Pens just gor a new GM so that eliminates them. Caps just hired a new GM last year so they won't. Isles won't fire Garth Snow (and even if they did...) Tampa won't fire Yzerman and Detroit won't fire Holland.

So you're not likely to see any GM firings from any of the good teams. And most of them I wouldn't take over Chiarelli anyway.

It's a case of thinking too hard. A better option isn't going to present itself so you either grab the guy or wait and get nothing.

In my opinion it would be worth giving up a 2nd rounder at some point in the next three years if you can bring someone in BEFORE the draft from an organization that has drafted well. Oilers have a ton of early picks in this draft (two firsts, two seconds, probably three thirds) and this year's draft is very highly regarded.

If you could get three or four key players out of those seven picks that's huge. That's worth another second down the road since I don't trust this group of scouts as far as I can throw them.

Plus, Bruins have a mid-first-round pick this year. It would be good to get some insight on who they were eyeing up since Oilers (if they keep the pick) will be drafting two slots after Boston.

chubeyr

Aug 19, 2005
As a Calgary Fan I have to agree with all the MacT and Klowe supporters here! They have done an amazing job with this team and are on the verge of being a Dynasty team once again! All thanks to Klowe and MacT. Making a management change at this point would derail the rebuild completely and set the team back a decade!

As a hockey fan, a supporter of Canadian Hockey! Anyone that defends Klowe and MacT should be banned. Worst ran franchise in the league and their fans deserve way better! Klowe/MacT supporters STOP! You have and are picking the first overall in the draft 4 out of 6 years. Homer Simpson and Krusty the Clown could run this franchise better!

You guys are getting McDavid? Future superstar, that this management team will ruin!

Clean house NOW! Make a couple of trades at the draft for a Dman or two, a UFA goalie, and all of a sudden the Oilers look good!

As for your coach? I dont even know the guys name, sorry, he was a big improvement over Eakins though. Doesnt deserve to be turfed, but needs to be sent back to the AHL. Babcock would be a nice prize to have forsure. He aint working for MacT or Klowe!

How anyone can support MacT or Klowe blows me away! As a Calgary Fan I want nothing to change! That's how bad they are!

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Actually they have a couple Ryan Spooner and Zach Trotman.
And they replaced there chief scout and hired Keith Gretzky for that job.

Neither of those guys has played a full NHL season. I personally don't feel comfortable calling them regulars at this point.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
How tough would it be if the Oilers ended up being as bad as the Bruins under Chiarelli. :D

Oiler66666

May 7, 2012
Alberta
I have no real insight into who will end up where (have my hopes up) but for what it's worth with Nicholson's history he would have to be aware of the grapevine and know that with Chiarelli in town it would be noticed and speculated on. Seems to be a classy guy so that shouldn't be dismissed?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Shero would be my choice, but Chiarelli would bring instant credibility to the Oilers franchise.

I just hope he learned something from the Seguin situation.

Shero would be my choice, but Chiarelli would bring instant credibility to the Oilers franchise.

I just hope he learned something from the Seguin situation.

What has Shero done that you'd have him over Chiarelli?

Chiarelli has never had the luxury of walking into a situation of having the best 1-2 down the middle since the 80s Oilers, one of whom is a generational talent (something he'd be entitled to start with here), and yet he still built a contender which won the cup, made it to the SCF in a losing effort, and won the president's trophy.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
What has Shero done that you'd have him over Chiarelli?

Chiarelli has never had the luxury of walking into a situation of having the best 1-2 down the middle since the 80s Oilers, one of whom is a generational talent (something he'd be entitled to start with here), and yet he still built a contender which won the cup, made it to the SCF in a losing effort, and won the president's trophy.

Fleeced Dallas for James Neal, got out on an injury prone Whitney to get Kunitz who has contributed for them for a long time, drafted a high end d-man in Letang in the 2nd round.

If not for Crosby's unfortunate run of injuries they probably would have 2 Cups right now.

The Seguin and Kessel deals worry me a bit (yes the Kessel one worked out by luck, but if the Leafs had finished say 5th or 6th last, that would've been a bad deal).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad