Confirmed with Link: Peter Chiarelli meeting with the Oilers

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
Kevin Lowe has become too much of a liability for the franchise. I mean would Babcock sign here if Lowe was here or there were questions about who's really in charge.

It'd also be problematic is signing the better UFAs or getting certain players to drop their NTC. The image of him is just too toxic.

So getting Chiarelli in and moving Lowe out nixes that concern. I think Lowe probably himself agreed to it.

This

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Ok cool. Do we have a president set in the last year? Anyone hired off a team while still under contract?
Can't think of anybody. This must be why teams aren't racing to hire Dallas Eakins as their next coach. :sarcasm:

Maybe Laviolette, but he was fired before rule was changed so probably not.

Edit: Barry Trotz? Fired by Nashville last year and then hired by the Capitals a few weeks later.
Edit2: all that happened before the rule changed too. I guess Chiarelli would be the first one.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
The Oiler Way

Lowe becomes Senior Adviser (essentially a figure head with no decision making power, perhaps a lead role in charitable activities)

MacTavish becomes Senior VP Hockey Operations (same salary as his GM position currently) - in charge of player development / prospect development, the Oil Kings and Bakersfield

Chiarelli becomes President of Hockey Operations and General Manager - in charge of pro-scouting, amateur scouting, all hockey personnel decisions

Scott Howson likely dismissed (Nikitin factor)

http://www.nhltradetracker.com/user/trade_list_by_team/Boston_Bruins/1

For those interested in his trading record.
I don't mind dropping Howson, but I'd never fire anyone for one bad call on a UFA, the name of the game is outbidding every other interested team, I'd guess 60-70% of UFA signings end up being bad. If you've been in the game long enough you've had a bad UFA signing, even the best general managers and best scouting staffs will make bad calls and overpay someone to a huge extent from time to time, the good thing with this mistake is it is a 2 year mistake not by any means a crippling one.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
The guy was one of the best players in the NHL this year and last few years has been very serious about training and prep. from reports he's a very competitive guy that doesn't like losing. Possibly upset with the Stars missing the playoffs. I would be too. For the longest time Sequin was one of the few Stars players rowing when pretty much the whole team other than Benn was horrible. Sequin did his part this year. Very much like Hall last year no way he can be faulted for what was a fantastic performance.
All that said and he still did something serious enough that Dallas felt they needed to send him a message by sitting him out in the final game of the year. We're not talking about two fly by night guys here like Dallas Eakins and Craig Mactavish either, guys who were making things up as they went along. Lindy Ruff and Jim Nill have boatloads of NHL credibility and experience in dealing with all types of situations and they were the ones who felt it was necessary to do this. After all Seguin has done on the ice there, something was going on that was serious enough that they felt they couldn't let slide. That should be a pretty good indication that Seguin still has some pretty serious off ice issues. You don't healthy scratch one of your best players unless you have a damn good reason to do it. Nobody would know that better than Lindy Ruff and Jim Nill.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I wouldn't lose my mind if he traded Draisaitl/Eberle/Pit 1st/other picks/other parts for help for this roster right now - top 4 D with top pairing upside, a prime aged established starter, etc.

I'd be displeased if he traded Hall or Yakupov but depending on the return I could live with it.

I'd be pissed if he traded RNH or Nurse unless the return is just phenomenal - incredibly slanted in our favor.

If he traded McDavid I'd stop watching hockey altogether.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
All that said and he still did something serious enough that Dallas felt they needed to send him a message by sitting him out in the final game of the year. We're not talking about two fly by night guys here like Dallas Eakins and Craig Mactavish either, guys who were making things up as they went along. Lindy Ruff and Jim Nill have boatloads of NHL credibility and experience in dealing with all types of situations and they were the ones who felt it was necessary to do this. After all Seguin has done on the ice there, something was going on that was serious enough that they felt they couldn't let slide. That should be a pretty good indication that Seguin still has some pretty serious off ice issues. You don't healthy scratch one of your best players unless you have a damn good reason to do it. Nobody would know that better than Lindy Ruff and Jim Nill.

He was late for practice. It's a team rule. It happened to Erik Cole and Cody Eakin during the year too.

Jean Ralphio

Dec 13, 2008
The one thing I hope doesn't happen is Chiarelli is brought aboard with both Lowe and MacT staying on. I feel like Oilers have talked about the Red Wings and Hockey Canada model enough that it's a possibility (not to mention Nicholson is a part of the organization now). There's really no need for so much bureaucracy .

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
with Seguin we do not have to be coy on everything--some of the stuff made main stream media

lets look at this comments about the Sedins this year--poorly done and showed a certain lack of character

http://vansunsportsblogs.com/2015/0...-disrespect-insult-sedins-on-bad-radio-audio/

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs...ns_issues_shed_new_light_on_kessel_trade.html

Almost immediately, a whisper campaign came out of Boston that Seguin had “off-ice†issues, that he partied too much, that security guards had to be hired to make sure he stayed in his hotel room.

star is a gossip mag but they were the first to openly talk about Seguin

NESN

http://nesn.com/2013/08/milan-lucic...sues-stemmed-from-guilt-by-association-audio/

“I think his off-ice issues was more him being guilty by association,†Lucic explained. “From what I’ve seen — I’ve been out with him a couple of times, but that was mostly outside of Boston — he was never a guy who was belligerent. In Boston, he was more guilty by association with the people he surrounded himself by. He’s obviously, he still needs a little bit of growing up and stuff like that

Read more at: http://nesn.com/2013/08/milan-lucic...sues-stemmed-from-guilt-by-association-audio/

Neely on the record
http://nesn.com/2013/07/cam-neely-a...rformance-both-contributed-to-trade-decision/

“We saw him develop over the last three years, and I won’t get into specifics, but there were a number of conversations in those three years how we wanted him to mature along the way as well,†Neely said.

Read more at: http://nesn.com/2013/07/cam-neely-a...rformance-both-contributed-to-trade-decision/

just thought I would add it to the discussion about the trade--why didn't PC get more--Bruins wanted him gone

Mentallydull

Jul 3, 2008
Oil Country
Slow and steady for long lasting contenders, not 'experience' over too many young guys. The Chris Stewart example is cringeworthy.

You need to have a good core throughout the lineup to go slow and steady.

Right now we don't have any top-pairing defensemen, we have no #1 goalie, and we're thin on size up front.

Slow and steady at this point has dropped us even further in the standings than last year. I'm not saying to blow up the entire team sans McDavid and start over again but we need to start seriously considering moving 1-2 pieces out to bring in pieces we need.

MacT and Tambellini both showed an unwillingness to do that - I don't think Chiarelli will have the same reservations. He knows all about keeping a good core together and bringing in help in other areas.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
OK, I buy that.

What I find strange though is KLowe being out for supper last night with Chiarelli, potentially to hand over his job? Doesn't add up.

MacT has done a terrible job, having him stay in that position is a huge mistake and it seems the common sense thing to do is replace him with an experienced GM with a better CV. Chiarelli yes has made a few mistakes over several years, but in two MacT has done worse. Anyone not in the OBC would be a step in the right direction.
It might make more sense if Lowe is stepping down and giving Chiarelli a rundown of what's been going on.

Jun 9, 2011
You need to have a good core throughout the lineup to go slow and steady.

Right now we don't have any top-pairing defensemen, we have no #1 goalie, and we're thin on size up front.

Slow and steady at this point has dropped us even further in the standings than last year. I'm not saying to blow up the entire team sans McDavid and start over again but we need to start seriously considering moving 1-2 pieces out to bring in pieces we need.

MacT and Tambellini both showed an unwillingness to do that - I don't think Chiarelli will have the same reservations. He knows all about keeping a good core together and bringing in help in other areas.
Oh I don't mind filling holes. Example using our good stuff for someone like Seth Jones rather than good stuff for Phaneuf.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad