Confirmed with Link: Peter Chiarelli meeting with the Oilers

McBaevid

Lottery Dynasty
Oct 3, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Don't know what to think of Chiarelli.
On one hand, he's got an amazing resume with 2 cup finals and a presidents trophy.
On the other hand, he traded Seguin without letting other GMs know he was available, which would've started a bidding war, he pretty much took the first offer he thought was a good return for an Elite level player and it turned out to be a mediocre package

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I have to ask few questions;

1. who is available right now that is even an option?

2. who is available right now that is a lot better of an option?

3. who might be available that's going to be a better option?

It's just baffling that people are making PC sound like he's Tambo. The guy has his flaws, but he also has a lot of proven success. I know a lot of people are talking about assistant GM's and who can be available, but the last Tier 1 assistant GM Jim Nill hasn't exactly done anything according to some of the criteria in this thread either. Took a playoff team, added pieces made them a non-playoff team.

The other thing is even if PC is the only guy interviewed lets keep in mind this isn't Lowe talking to a former Oiler who he is buddies with. This is Nicholson who has dealt with the high end hockey minds for close to 20 years now. He's also talking to a credible proven commodity as well so that's a vast improvement in itself.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I have to ask few questions;

1. who is available right now that is even an option?

2. who is available right now that is a lot better of an option?

3. who might be available that's going to be a better option?

It's just baffling that people are making PC sound like he's Tambo. The guy has his flaws, but he also has a lot of proven success. I know a lot of people are talking about assistant GM's and who can be available, but the last Tier 1 assistant GM Jim Nill hasn't exactly done anything according to some of the criteria in this thread either. Took a playoff team, added pieces made them a non-playoff team.

The other thing is even if PC is the only guy interviewed lets keep in mind this isn't Lowe talking to a former Oiler who he is buddies with. This is Nicholson who has dealt with the high end hockey minds for close to 20 years now. He's also talking to a credible proven commodity as well so that's a vast improvement in itself.

At this point I think it's pretty safe to assume that if PC doesn't come aboard not much is going to change in the front office.

Dustin Nielson ‏@nielsonTSN1260 · 51s52 seconds ago
Dreger tells us that Chiarelli's meetings with the Oilers continue today.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
At this point I think it's pretty safe to assume that if PC doesn't come aboard not much is going to change in the front office.

Dustin Nielson ‏@nielsonTSN1260 · 51s52 seconds ago
Dreger tells us that Chiarelli's meetings with the Oilers continue today.

Honestly the wild card is Babcock. Maybe being POHO intrigues him as well now. I have to think if PC doesn't get the job that Babcock might even approach the Oil before signing where ever.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
How good we talking? I do think a team could win the cup with him as their #1 center, but by no means do I think he'd be the guy stirring the drink. Not yet anyway.

He's a good player without question but I don't know if I'd put him with the elite centers of the league - yet. People talk like PC gave away Toews.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Dreger is on 1260 right now, said meetings with Chiarelli are continuing today and he still doesn't have any insight as to what specific role he is in discussions for. Also said the talks are very real and substantial-still thinks it'll be PoHO, but doesn't know what that means for Mact and Lowe. Just said Nicholson will do everything he can to get him hired.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Honestly the wild card is Babcock. Maybe being POHO intrigues him as well now. I have to think if PC doesn't get the job that Babcock might even approach the Oil before signing where ever.

I doubt Babcock comes here if Lowe/MacT are still running the show. PC would be a huge step in eliminating the OBC. If we could get PC as POHO or GM and Mike Babcock as coach that would be immense for the Oilers.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
He's a good player without question but I don't know if I'd put him with the elite centers of the league - yet. People talk like PC gave away Toews.

I think he lost the deal, but the thing to keep in mind is there is more than meets the eye.

I read yesterday that Bruins fan talking about PC trying to move Spooner and a pic for a vet as a bad move. Reality is PC job was on the line and was doing what most GM's would do, get better now in order to save their job.

With Seguin deal, PC probably new that he was losing the deal but if he can look decent for the next year or two then people wouldn't judge him. Just like how the Kessel deal played out. I really think one can argue that while Seguin was in Boston, Kessel was a more dominate player in Toronto. But why is it that people discount that so easily? One reason being Boston won a cup without Kessel and with Seguin.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
I doubt Babcock comes here if Lowe/MacT are still running the show. PC would be a huge step in eliminating the OBC. If we could get PC as POHO or GM and Mike Babcock as coach that would be immense for the Oilers.

Immense is still an understatement. Revolutionary.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

What happens if they offer Babcock the POHO? I know it's a huge step, but I sooner see him there than what we have now.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

Toews is a bit overrated for what he brings but yea, Seguin, unless he focuses on hockey 100% instead of those shenanigans, he'll never be in that tier.

Dreger is on 1260 right now, said meetings with Chiarelli are continuing today and he still doesn't have any insight as to what specific role he is in discussions for. Also said the talks are very real and substantial-still thinks it'll be PoHO, but doesn't know what that means for Mact and Lowe. Just said Nicholson will do everything he can to get him hired.

When has he ever?;)

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

I really thought we had no shot at Nicholson, but somehow we got him.

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
I think Seguin is an excellent player but I kind of see him as a Dany Heatley type.

Superstar qualities but a bit of a headcase.

I think people need to view that trade not just from the Chiarelli perspective, but the Seguin perspective as well. When a player of that talent is traded at that age, what does that tell you about the player?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Toews is a bit overrated for what he brings but yea, Seguin, unless he focuses on hockey 100% instead of those shenanigans, he'll never be in that tier.

When has he ever?;)

Dreger and Spec get blasted a lot, but they do break a lot of things. The problem is they spew a lot too. Then again so does Bob Stauffer who is suppose to be directly tied to the Oil

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Cap issues post cup have to do with the inflated value of every single player not on a long term contract. Thats a reality that you have not taken into consideration here.

Its also perplexing how your posts are completely void of how PC managed to put together and maintain a perennial contender.

You see the shinny new toy and you're excited. I get that. I haven't said he did a bad job at all. Just that there were areas where he could have been better. And cap management was one of them. The other was his drafting record. And again, if you have solid scouts, you can mitigate that part of it.

Overall, he assembled and resigned a lot of players that won a cup and made a second finals. He did a tremendous job at the deadline in 2011 to bring in Kelly and Peverley, who were key contributors to the cup win. He also tried to fix their PP issues with Kaberle, but that guy was gassed by the time he got here. Either way, he made big, bold moves that year. The rest of the trade deadlines though, he was more about depth guys than bringing in any difference makers, and he seemed more timid. That's just an honest assessment about the overall job he did. In terms of the 9 years he was here, he was very good for most of it. If he takes the gig with Edmonton, you'll be in great shape.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
If Chiarelli's meetings are continuing today, that means, to me anyways, that they've hired him in some higher up capacity, and they are likely discussing what to do with the club further.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
we can debate this deal or that deal in Chai's history, but the bottom line is he's been an NHL GM for almost a decade for one of the league's oldest and best franchises. That makes him a better choice than anything we had in decades.

It's a good sign that the organization is looking to high a guy like this. The days of hiring a former teamate/friend, with no experience, are hopeful over to be be revisited.

Remember, if he's POHO, he's here to attract the best talent, and provide direction. Best case scenario is he can persuade Babcock to come in and be Coach and GM, or whatever role he wants.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
I think Seguin is an excellent player but I kind of see him as a Dany Heatley type.

Superstar qualities but a bit of a headcase.

I think people need to view that trade not just from the Chiarelli perspective, but the Seguin perspective as well. When a player of that talent is traded at that age, what does that tell you about the player?

hmmm. better good viewpoint.

Don't be floored if Seguin is traded again in the next few years.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I'm going to assume Chiarelli had basically no say in the 06 draft cause of when he was hired, but if he did that draft was flat out amazing. His first 3 drafts that I assume he had oversight of look bad, the 10,11, & 12 drafts look pretty average where I think they will get 2 NHLers out of each and 13 & 14 are too soon to tell. Boston has prided itself more on being well rounded and having good role players through out the line-up and building a cohesive team. Pittsburgh is more of here are our stars, let's just plug the holes around them the best we can with the money we have left, the quality of their role players on the 3rd & 4th line and 3rd pairing d-men have generally been lower and it's easier to sneak into their line-up then it is with Boston so games played shouldn't be the only benchmark seperating the two.

From 2010- Ryan Spooner is a pretty good prospect he's just taking the long road to get there like Lander, but I think he will have a good career infront of him.

From 2011- Alexander Khokhlachev is very talented, he seemed pretty raw when I seen him so he's the kind that will take a bit longer, but he fits the mold of players I see Detroit pick up, then fast forward 5 years later and they are amazing all of a sudden.
- Anthony Camara is probably safe to write off considering how bad his offensive numbers are, but I do remember him being strong defensively kind of the equivalent of Ewanyk, but he does enough little things right that sometimes coaches take a shine to them and they can play a fair number of games.

2012- Malcolm Subban is a top shelf goalie prospect and the number of even really good goalies prospects that play many games at age 21 is extremely rare. All indications are this was a very good pick up to this point.
-Seth Griffith is a great pick for the 5th round watched him a ton as a London Knight the kid is a gamer, he could have a long career infront of him based around his great work ethic and pretty decent hands.

Pittsburgh's draft record just seems like they are really good at drafting and developing defensemen, almost exclusively specializing in it, the only forwards they drafted of note in Shero's time was Jordan Staal at 2nd overall in 06 (which he probably had no say in cause of when he was hired) and Beau Bennett at 20th overall in 2010 who looks like he might be a bust. They have one goalie drafted of note in Tristan Jarry in 2013 who we are all familiar with.

So from what I see in their histories is Shero has the formula for drafting and developing young d-men and Chiarelli has the ability to trade for quality d-men who were undervalued by their current clubs. Being that Nicholson has already appointed Bob Green as the director of player personnel and will be overseeing all the scouts, I don't see Chiarelli's duties if hired as overlapping on what Green is doing. He'd probably be more focused on the trading aspects and making decisions on potential UFA acquisitions, essentially just another person in the room at the board table helping make the decisions. It all depends on how you compartmentalize things, but I can only assume he would be used to do what he is good at and kept away from things that are not his area of expertise.

He didn't have any say in that draft. He was at the Senators table for the entire thing because they didn't want to release him and have him bring any of their insights over to Boston. Jeff Gorton ran that draft for Bosotn, using the draft board created by the scouting staff that Mike O'Connell had assembled. Gorton also made the trade for Rask during that draft. Guys like Spooner, Pasta, and Koko will hopefully turn into productive players, which will certainly change the way most Bruins fans look at PC's drafting record. I think one of the bigger issues with their prospects isn't that they were bad, but that Claude Julien is hesitant to use them, unless he has no other options. He did that with Spooner, he did that with Marchand. He did that with Pasta. He did that with Seguin. Hamilton. Krug. Kessel. etc. He's doing that with Koko now too. So I don't think the coach did the GM any favors by playing guys like Paille, Campbell, and Gagne over their young players this year. If that helps provide a little more perspective on his drafts.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
interesting times indeed. I like MacT so I'd hate to see him go, but then again, I'm not sure I like him as a GM. same goes with Lowe and his position.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad