Confirmed with Link: Peter Chiarelli meeting with the Oilers

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I don't know why people hold the Seguin trade over his head. He still turned Kessel and Peverly into

Dougie Hamilton, Louis Eriksson, Reilly Smith, Joe Morrow, Zach Phillips.

rosemount289

Feb 12, 2008
If Chiarelli is the............???

If Chiarelli is the next POHO who should he try to get for defence and goalie........???

Is there any free agents from Boston.........like defensemen........McQuaid?

Goalie...........Malcolm Subban?

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
If Chiarelli is the next POHO who should he try to get for defence and goalie........???

Is there any free agents from Boston.........like defensemen........McQuaid?

Goalie...........Malcolm Subban?

I would love to get Subban. I wonder what the asking price is..

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
The Seguin and Kessel deals worry me a bit (yes the Kessel one worked out by luck, but if the Leafs had finished say 5th or 6th last, that would've been a bad deal).

If Boston finished 6th they still could have had Fowler, Skinner or maybe even Johansen, depending on how much Columbus liked Gudbranson. I think any of those plus Hamilton is still worth more than Kessel. The 2009-10 Leafs were a poorly constructed team, weak in net and at centre, just like the 2014-15 Oilers. They were relying on Toskala, Giguere and a rookie Gustafsson in net. That's worse than Scrivens/Fasth because at least Scrivens had a decent save percentage the year before. The Kessel trade was completed in September, well after free agency so there was no cavalry coming to save the Leafs either.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
So much for watching any movies tonight!!!

I'm giving it another 30 mins, then you all can help each other out or I'll send more out tomorrow morning.

Edit: Agreed with Spawn - just PM me please so we can try to keep this thread on track :)

Thanks so much for the work Mentallydull! Appreciate it :)

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
I've seen you spam that video so much JTS. Let it go.

This isn't a discussion. You either get it or you do not.

No offense, but talk about getting mad with no power what so ever. Delete posts and send warnings. Wow, I have all the respect in the world for Hockey Futures, but common, just take a pill man. Every wants to know the rumour and you are harping on some one who actually posted legit media sources? The oilers are interviewing a guy who was fired basically because he traded Seguin, It is a legit question as to why he traded Seguin.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
No offense, but talk about getting mad with no power what so ever. Delete posts and send warnings. Wow, I have all the respect in the world for Hockey Futures, but common, just take a pill man. Every wants to know the rumour and you are harping on some one who actually posted legit media sources? The oilers are interviewing a guy who was fired basically because he traded Seguin, It is a legit question as to why he traded Seguin.

Really, is that true? Do you have a reference for that?

I thought he was fired because Boston missed the playoffs and now they are in cap trouble. He took chances and built what looked like a contender, I bet that 99% of the people looking at Boston prior to this season saw a potential SC winner. Boston is still a great team but they needed a set of new eyes and someone prepared to make significant moves to reshape the roster and possibly also the system they play (Julien is as good as gone as well imo).

Personally I am a big fan of Chia. I know there were GMs before him who laid down groundwork for the team Boston became, but it was on his watch that they performed, and that counts for something.

Last edited:

Kalost

Jan 21, 2015
I'm actually OK with keeping MacT as the GM and maybe giving Chiarelli Lowe's job, but it feels like I'm in the minority on that.

I feel MacT actually made some solid moves in FA - bringing in guys like Gordon and Fayne.

Where he's failed in is identifying a goalie that can actually let in under 5 goals a game. Maybe they can task Chiarelli with finding the next Rask for them? :D

i'm with ya on this

It's unfair to blame everything in Boston on Chiarelli... Neely is heavily involved with the hockey Ops. So much so that he dictated what kind d of trades Chiarelli was allowed to make.

which is imo the reason Chiarelli is interviewing for a POHO job, might rather be the guy heavy involved in someone else's job

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
He was fired for a combination of things

The Seguin trade primarily, but also cap mismanagement and having to let Johnny Boychuk go as a result and so on.

Here's a post-game interview from last year where a reporter asked him again about Seguin after the Bruins admitted they looked like a slow team:

Seguin trade will dog him for a long time.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Really, is that true? Do you have a reference for that?

I thought he was fired because Boston missed the playoffs and now they are in cap trouble. He took chances and built what looked like a contender, I bet that 99% of the people looking at Boston prior to this season saw a potential SC winner. Boston is still a great team but they needed a set of new eyes and someone prepared to make significant moves to reshape the roster and possibly also the system they play (Julien is as good as gone as well imo).

Personally I am a big fan of Chia. I know there were GMs before him who laid down groundwork for the team Boston became, but it was on his watch that they performed, and that counts for something.
Personally if I was Boston I would of fired him too, he is the biggest reason above all others that they won the cup and became a dominant team, but he also has oversaw them through a gradual decline. All of his best work was in the first four years of his time there and the past 4.75 years he hasn't made a single good trade and has depleted a lot of their best prospects on short term rentals trying to keep them on top of the mountain. He also had numerous contracts structured with bonuses in place last year and because a lot of those bonuses being hit they had over $4 million in deferred cap overage fees this year and that was the biggest reason that they had to consider and ultimately proceed with trading Boychuk for futures.

Boston is a no non-sense kind of place they don't show loyalty just for the sake of it, if you aren't helping the team get better you're likely on the way out and Chiarelli of late just wasn't doing anything to make them a better team.

I don't have the slightest apprehension about hiring him as president of hockey operations, he's a smart hockey man and he's worked for two great organizations in terms of management and scouting in Boston and Ottawa. He just seems like he was a guy better at building a winner then performing upkeep to maintain a winner, it requires some tough decisions and sometimes you have to trade one of your best players when they are asking for too much money, teams that know when to take a half step back and reload the cupboards a bit are the ones that typically maintain a strong team for a long time.

Last edited:

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
What has Shero done that you'd have him over Chiarelli?

Chiarelli has never had the luxury of walking into a situation of having the best 1-2 down the middle since the 80s Oilers, one of whom is a generational talent (something he'd be entitled to start with here), and yet he still built a contender which won the cup, made it to the SCF in a losing effort, and won the president's trophy.

I agree. Shero came into an ideal situation. It's not hard to convince vets to come play for the 2 best players in the world.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Personally if I was Boston I would of fired him too, he is the biggest reason above all others that they won the cup and became a dominant team, but he also has oversaw them through a gradual decline. All of his best work was in the first four years of his time there and the past 4.75 years he hasn't made a single good trade and has depleted a lot of their best prospects on short term rentals trying to keep them on top of the mountain. He also had numerous contracts structured with bonuses in place last year and because a lot of those bonuses being hit they had over $4 million in deferred cap overage fees this year and that was the biggest reason that they had to consider and ultimately proceed with trading Boychuk for futures.

Boston is a no non-sense kind of place they don't show loyalty just for the sake of it, if you aren't helping the team get better you're likely on the way out and Chiarelli of late just wasn't making doing anything to make them a better team.

I don't have the slightest apprehension about hiring him as president of hockey operations, he's a smart hockey man and he's worked for two great organizations in terms of management and scouting in Boston and Ottawa. He just seems like he was a guy better at building a winner then performing upkeep to maintain a winner, it requires some tough decisions and sometimes you have to trade one of your best players when they are asking for too much money, teams that no when to take a half step back and reload the cupboards a bit are the ones that typically maintain a strong team for a long time.

Yeah, I agree completely. I really think that once you have seen what the players on a SC winner can do in the playoffs, i.e. what they did do, you can easily lose track of what is necessary to maintain a winning team. You latch on to a system (and maybe more importantly to certain players) which worked last time but fail to see and adjust to the fact that that all other teams in the league are working on finding ways to be better than you and to beat you, especially if you just won it all.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Pastrnak, Krug, miller, and to some extent camara, ferlin and Spooner are showing better then the current oiler depth as well. 1st overalls aside.

MPStoEberletoHall*

Pastrnak, Krug, miller, and to some extent camara, ferlin and Spooner are showing better then the current oiler depth as well. 1st overalls aside.

Chiarelli is great at finding under the radar d men. Krug, Miller and McQuaid. I'd love to have all three on the Oilers.

oilphan

Nov 21, 2005
Let me see if I have this right. Bucky reports to Nelson who reports to McLellan who reports to Howson who reports to MacT who reports to Charelli who reports to Lowe who reports to Nicholson, who reports to Katz? Did I miss anyone?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
IMO Shero has had a decent track record:

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/the-five-best-and-worst-moves-of-the-ray-shero-era/

The Neal trade is straight up high way robbery. Drafting Letang outside of the first round is a better draft selection than anything the Bruins did under Chia.

Crosby's injuries are the main reason they have one Cup instead of two IMO.

Yeah, he's got a decent record as a GM.

Have to disagree with the 2nd cup thing though. If you've watched the Pen's playoffs over the last 5 years, it's really noticeable how overrated Crosby/Malkin are against tough teams(Malkin is putting in another no-show against NYR this year), and Fleury is straight up unreliable to the point he can probably be considered the Achilles heel of that core.

Not much a GM can do when so much money is tied in up in frequently injured players who struggle in big games, doubly so since those same players are likely on the ownership's no trade list.

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
Chiarelli's drafting and developing is the most worrying for me.

Since 2006, the Bruins record for drafting and developing is pretty horrendous.

Lets say the cut off is 150 games for argument sake. Ie drafted dude helps team for 1.5 seasons or more.

2006:
Kessel
Lucic
Marchand

2007:
None

2008:
Colborne (all for Flames)

2009:
Jordan Caron

2010:
Tyler Seguin

2011:
Dougie Hamilton

Under his guidance, the Bruins have drafted and developed 7 players who have played >150 games for that team. The latter 2, came via high picks due to the Kessel trade. Colborne didn't really don a Bruins jersey so he's basically a non-factor too.

It's a pretty barron list in terms of drafting and developing.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton

Lets say the cut off is 150 games for argument sake. Ie drafted dude helps team for 1.5 seasons or more.

2006:
Kessel
Lucic
Marchand

2007:
None

2008:

2009:
Jordan Caron

2010:
Tyler Seguin

2011:
Dougie Hamilton

Under his guidance, the Bruins have drafted and developed 7 players who have played >150 games for that team. The latter 2, came via high picks due to the Kessel trade. Colborne didn't really don a Bruins jersey so he's basically a non-factor too.

It's a pretty barron list in terms of drafting and developing.

Generally, drafting is the domain of head scouts. In this case though, Wayne Smith was one of Chia's first hires in Boston, and a close friend of his.

Definitely a cause for concern.

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
Generally, drafting is the domain of head scouts. In this case though, Wayne Smith was one of Chia's first hires in Boston, and a close friend of his.

Definitely a cause for concern.

I wouldn't absolve a GM in drafting completely. I'm sure he watches talent and makes choices and has input just as much as head scouts. Agreed though, definitely a concern.

Compare him to Shero's reign at the same time: (>150 games)

2006:
Staal

2007:
Muzzin

2008:
None

2009:
Despres

2010:
None

2011:
None

And just to show it's not some ultra crazy measurement, lets take a random franchise like say the Caps and compare:

2006:
Backstrom
Varlamov
Neuvirth
Perreault

2007:
Alzner

2008:
Carlson
Holtby

2009:
Johansson
Eakin

2010:
None

2011:
None (low picks though)

OR how about a team that hasn't picked in the top-10 much, like the Rangers?

2006:
Anisimov

2007:
Hagelin

2008:
Del Zotto
Stepan
Weise

2009:
Kreider

2010:
None (ironically it was McIlrath, their only top-10 pick in this period)

2011:
None

We're going to be a really expensive team soon. I'd hope that our drafting and developing is an area we focus on to get cheaper but effective talent to compliment our young nucleus.

Board Gordon

Light Up The World
Jun 13, 2014
Oilers

2006- Petry(45), Peckham(75)

2007- Gagner(6), Nash(21)

2008- Eberle(22)

2009- MPS (228) [Lander 132 games]

2010- (Hall)

2011- (RNH)

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
I wouldn't absolve a GM in drafting completely. I'm sure he watches talent and makes choices and has input just as much as head scouts. Agreed though, definitely a concern.

I have to disagree with that, maybe for franchise changing picks(like the first overall), but not for your average 1st rounder and beyond pick.

I don't doubt that GMs sit in on scouting meetings, determine the type of players they want on their team, and even sit in on a few games to get a better idea the talent level of some of the players. I suspect the majority of them let their head scouts make the call though, especially busy GMs who are follow their teams in the playoffs who don't have the time to sit there and get intimately involved in the talent evaluations of a few hundred players who may or may not be available from the mid first to sixth rounds of the draft.

Bad GMs like Mactavish probably spend more time following prospects, but even then it's he's likely watching the top 10 draft picks more than anything. He isn't out there dictating that they take piles of BCHL players or overagers, that is a McGregor thing. I suspect Shero/Chia were a victim of that themselves as a GM's draft record will generally only be as good as the talent evaluation abilities of the people they hired to be their eyes in the field for them.

In Chia's case though, he hired a friend... who then failed spectacularly. Kudo to him for firing him in 2013(if it was indeed him), but it reeks of Lowe'ish cronyism to me, which would be my main cause for concern.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010

2006:
Kessel
Lucic
Marchand

2007:
None

2008:

2009:
Jordan Caron

2010:
Tyler Seguin

2011:
Dougie Hamilton

It's a pretty barren list in terms of drafting and developing.

I'm going to assume Chiarelli had basically no say in the 06 draft cause of when he was hired, but if he did that draft was flat out amazing. His first 3 drafts that I assume he had oversight of look bad, the 10,11, & 12 drafts look pretty average where I think they will get 2 NHLers out of each and 13 & 14 are too soon to tell. Boston has prided itself more on being well rounded and having good role players through out the line-up and building a cohesive team. Pittsburgh is more of here are our stars, let's just plug the holes around them the best we can with the money we have left, the quality of their role players on the 3rd & 4th line and 3rd pairing d-men have generally been lower and it's easier to sneak into their line-up then it is with Boston so games played shouldn't be the only benchmark seperating the two.

From 2010- Ryan Spooner is a pretty good prospect he's just taking the long road to get there like Lander, but I think he will have a good career infront of him.

From 2011- Alexander Khokhlachev is very talented, he seemed pretty raw when I seen him so he's the kind that will take a bit longer, but he fits the mold of players I see Detroit pick up, then fast forward 5 years later and they are amazing all of a sudden.
- Anthony Camara is probably safe to write off considering how bad his offensive numbers are, but I do remember him being strong defensively kind of the equivalent of Ewanyk, but he does enough little things right that sometimes coaches take a shine to them and they can play a fair number of games.

2012- Malcolm Subban is a top shelf goalie prospect and the number of even really good goalies prospects that play many games at age 21 is extremely rare. All indications are this was a very good pick up to this point.
-Seth Griffith is a great pick for the 5th round watched him a ton as a London Knight the kid is a gamer, he could have a long career infront of him based around his great work ethic and pretty decent hands.

Pittsburgh's draft record just seems like they are really good at drafting and developing defensemen, almost exclusively specializing in it, the only forwards they drafted of note in Shero's time was Jordan Staal at 2nd overall in 06 (which he probably had no say in cause of when he was hired) and Beau Bennett at 20th overall in 2010 who looks like he might be a bust. They have one goalie drafted of note in Tristan Jarry in 2013 who we are all familiar with.

So from what I see in their histories is Shero has the formula for drafting and developing young d-men and Chiarelli has the ability to trade for quality d-men who were undervalued by their current clubs. Being that Nicholson has already appointed Bob Green as the director of player personnel and will be overseeing all the scouts, I don't see Chiarelli's duties if hired as overlapping on what Green is doing. He'd probably be more focused on the trading aspects and making decisions on potential UFA acquisitions, essentially just another person in the room at the board table helping make the decisions. It all depends on how you compartmentalize things, but I can only assume he would be used to do what he is good at and kept away from things that are not his area of expertise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad