Confirmed with Link: Peter Chiarelli meeting with the Oilers

oilersforevva

Jan 4, 2015
The only thing about Babcock is there have been rumors that one of the things that he is looking for is a step into management as well ...how is this for a scenario ...He comes in as either GM or asst GM ( probably the latter ) and head coach ...But keeps Nelson as a Co Coach ..for all intensive purpose a bench Boss of sorts ...he has final say ..but Nelson ( who the players love ) is still here and has a fairly good say / input into what goes on . In a couple years ( after the first/ second cup ) Nelson becomes the head coach while Babcock steps into the GM roll fulltime ...after teaching Nelson all of his acumen and nuances :handclap::handclap::handclap:

TheGuyInTheChair

Sep 21, 2014
Considering I was sure that we were going to be stuck with both Lowe and MacT for at least 2 more seasons I will take CHIA!!!!!!!!!!

Along with McJesus, an experienced GM or President other than a member of the OBC makes this team much more attractive to everyone.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Dreger and Spec get blasted a lot, but they do break a lot of things. The problem is they spew a lot too. Then again so does Bob Stauffer who is suppose to be directly tied to the Oil

Spec isn't too bad. He's just overtly critical towards the Oilers. Stauffer is the Oilers spin doctor; did you expect any less?

Dreger has been **** since 06 lockout. Sources say blah blah Leafs blah blah Mats Sundin blah blah everyone going to Leafs kthxbye.

or when he takes part in their panel discussions:
Duthie/Lebrun/MacKenzie - rumors have [insert player] is looking at [any city not Toronto]
Dreger - and dont forget the Leafs too as they are also on the shortlist.

:shakehead

TSN has been crap. If you read the twitter comments/replies to their "breaking news" stuff, several tweeters ask them why they keep claiming they "broke" the news when some obscure local outlet has already done it earlier

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I really thought we had no shot at Nicholson, but somehow we got him.

It's crazy what 4 magic balls can do for a fan base and a team literally overnight. Maybe Chiarelli meets with Edmonton's brass anyways, but knowing that McDavid is nothing short of a certainty to be an Oiler in a couple months, he likely went from passing interest in the club to wanting to join them. All these executives/coaches we all thought we would never have any shot at getting, the Oilers are suddenly a suggested front runner in landing.

It's weird to feel this kind of hope for a change instead of despair when it comes to this team.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Not really an excuse for getting pennies on the dollar. It isn't like other GMs were going to black list a 19 year old for an immature act that is sadly fairly commonplace in the NHL (from what we all hear)

A 26 year old Eriksson had a 40 goal season and 3 straight 70 point seasons along with very sound defensive play regarded as one of the better 2 way forwards in the game leading up to the seaons of the trade and Smith was one of Dallas's best prospects.

Of course it's easy to look at it as a bad trade in retrospect because Seguin's development took off, but I think some context is needed when looking at the value of the trade at the time.

Where Chiarelli made a mistake was not keeping Seguin's off ice issues in house. If he hadn't gone public with his disappointment in Seguin, there probably would have been a few better offers I'm sure.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
A 26 year old Eriksson had a 40 goal season and 3 straight 70 point seasons along with very sound defensive play regarded as one of the better 2 way forwards in the game leading up to the seaons of the trade and Smith was one of Dallas's best prospects.

Of course it's easy to look at it as a bad trade in retrospect because Seguin's development took off, but I think some context is needed when looking at the value of the trade at the time.

Agreed, I would say the Bruins, even at the time, didn't get great value, but they didn't trade him for the "peanuts" as it looks like now.

Probably should have tried to get Chaisson as well to get better value.

mactforcoach

Nov 18, 2008
Drayton Valley Ab
It certainly sounds like Peter Chiarelli will become a part of the Oilers management. If so I'm a little disappointed just because it would be another example of going out and hiring the first person they interview.

Nothing against him, he's a middle to upper level talent in the game but isn't this what everyone has been opposed to recently? In any event I can't see any downside to adding more horsepower in the front office, especially if it's someone NOT from the OBC!

Hopefully adding Chiarelli will improve the image of the organization to UFA's and other coaches (Babcock, McClelland) so that next season they can put together a lethal coaching staff that is respected by the rest of the league and capable of elevating the team to the next level.

I think we will see Chia working somewhere between a co-GM with MacT and VP to Lowe, with Lowe quietly fading into the background. Make no mistake, Nicholson is not a part of the OBC and he will put together an elite staff.

Nuge93

Stuck in a "Rebuild"
Jun 27, 2013
So how would the compensation work for Boston if Chiarelli became GM or something like that?

oiler-dude

So how would the compensation work for Boston if Chiarelli became GM or something like that?

One of the Bruins beat guys (Haggerty) wrote yesterday that it's basically up the Bruins. If the Oilers hire Chiarelli before the draft, they can ask for a 2nd rounder in compensation. If it's after the draft, a 3rd rounder (as it is then an "off-season acquisition").

Also, not sure how much stock to put in this, heard on the radio (ironically, Now Radio...so I really don't know if it's true), but Chiarelli was apparently seen heading into a restaurant with Lowe yesterday? So, it seems at least Lowe is in on the meetings - does that skew the thought to GM? Or just Lowe stepping aside amicably?

Interesting times in Oil Country! :cheers:

rosemount289

Feb 12, 2008
Lowe has offered to..................???

"I think we will see Chia working somewhere between a co-GM with MacT and VP to Lowe, with Lowe quietly fading into the background. Make no mistake, Nicholson is not a part of the OBC and he will put together an elite staff."

Remember, Lowe has offered to resign as POHO before all this Chiarelli thing but it was the OWNER who convinced him to stay.

Maybe, Lowe has decided himself to go period.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
It certainly sounds like Peter Chiarelli will become a part of the Oilers management. If so I'm a little disappointed just because it would be another example of going out and hiring the first person they interview.

Nothing against him, he's a middle to upper level talent in the game but isn't this what everyone has been opposed to recently? In any event I can't see any downside to adding more horsepower in the front office, especially if it's someone NOT from the OBC!

Hopefully adding Chiarelli will improve the image of the organization to UFA's and other coaches (Babcock, McClelland) so that next season they can put together a lethal coaching staff that is respected by the rest of the league and capable of elevating the team to the next level.

I think we will see Chia working somewhere between a co-GM with MacT and VP to Lowe, with Lowe quietly fading into the background. Make no mistake, Nicholson is not a part of the OBC and he will put together an elite staff.

This is different though. The others that they hired without interviewing others were former Oilers who were gifted positions out of loyalty and Eakins who had no NHL resume to speak of.

Chiarelli even with his warts is a proven commodity, as successful as you'll find on the open market. I'm sure he would be offered other opportunities if the Oilers don't snag him now.
There's something to be said for doing due diligence but when you have an opportunity to get one of the better GMs on the market, go get him.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00