Peter Chiarelli End Of Season Press Conference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Well, I don't know what else to say. I guess we're doomed
A lot can happen, but this is the Oilers we're talking about. The NHL's experts on effing up everything.

Believe me, I really hope that Chiarelli and co can figure this thing out but he's dealt away too many assets and received so little in return.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Amateur scouting takes time to weed out bad evaluators cause of the incubation time required on prospects, to see if the evaluations they made are accurate or not, but pro scouting should be turned around really quickly as GM you have the ability to watch a lot of NHL hockey and you can converse with your pro scouts on how they see players and you can tell really quickly if they have the ability to evaluate talent properly or not. Also Chia really shouldn't need much help to tell him if the Hall for Larson or Eberle for Strome trades were good, he had ample opportunity to watch all parties involved, it also demonstrates his inability to evaluate his own talent which he sees plenty of, when you trade a Hart trophy calibre talent for a d-man who isn't even in the top 30 in his position you are clearly doing a poor job and there is no defending that.

The whole point is that there is more at play than simple 'player value' when addressing those deals though, which has been the entire point all along. Taylor Hall was never a 'Hart-trophy calibre talent' in Edmonton and finding a deal that would return us a 'top 30 player' at any position while also fitting our financial needs was ambitious. The Edmonton Oilers never had the trade leverage to make that deal. The Jordan Eberle deal moreso. The writing was on the wall this was a player the Edmonton Oilers could not afford to keep.

There are multiple ways to build a good team, look at Shero he easily had far less to work with than Chia did when he started here, but he correctly identified the direction the league was heading and skewed towards building a quick team, swindled an incompetent GM out of a franchise forward which perfectly built towards a team built around speed. Didn't go big game hunting in the UFA market, just went after value deals and plenty of them and when his team started turning around and the perception of his players improved he made a few more reasonable trades, to further accentuate the team he wanted to build.

The New Jersey Devils are a team that batted well above their expected average this season. They latched onto the back of a player having a career season and barely scraped into the dance. Crediting Ray Shero for building a quality product is very premature. And again we're talking about a GM who took over a team with one of the league's lowest payrolls, a quality defense and high end prospect cabinet. They were a couple years removed from a Stanley Cup Finals appearance. People need to stop comparing other teams to the Oilers because its ultimately ignoring the key point. The turnaround the new GM was faced with in Edmonton was a significant one.

It baffles my mind that there is even a single person on these boards who is prepared to defend Chia and the argument that he hasn't had enough time to turn the team around doesn't carry water with me, because of how he ended his time with Boston was a fairly clear demonstration of incompetence there. It's fine to give some guy you think is deserving a second chance and hoping they can turn it around in a new environment, but when there most recent performance is failure (with basically his last 4 years in Boston he didn't win a trade) and then you come to anew organization and have a very bad track record over your first 3 years, that's essentially 7 consecutive years of being **** at your job, that kind of track record does not merit more patience.
And it constantly baffles me that this comment continuously gets made when no one addresses these points at face value. I could give two hoots about his time in Boston. He had a completely different set of challenges there. The moves he made were coordinated with them, not some magic GM aura that he carries with him that makes him spend ludicrous cap dollars and make significant player deals. It constantly baffles me that some people are so obtuse when it comes to seeing the job that sat in front of the GM who took over from the previous era. Do you sincerely think that was an enviable post? Sure, you get McDavid, but that team was due for an enema.

Reactions: Night Witch

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
But by staying the course and getting worse...we'll get better.

Cuz Parity.

You know the expression you have to reach the bottom before you can climb to the top?.....its like that but instead you go through the bottom and then you are the new top.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
But by staying the course and getting worse...we'll get better.

Cuz Parity.

You know the expression you have to reach the bottom before you can climb to the top?.....its like that but instead you go through the bottom and then you are the new top.
What the hell are you saying?!

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
It's garbage that McLellan has had to face the media all year while Chia and Bobby Nick hide like cowards. Not a fan of TMac but at least he hasn't been afraid to show some accountability, unlike his two shithead bosses.

Reactions: frag2

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
It's garbage that McLellan has had to face the media all year while Chia and Bobby Nick hide like cowards. Not a fan of TMac but at least he hasn't been afraid to show some accountability, unlike his two ****head bosses.
I'm curious to know what Bob actually does... Supposedly he's "the most respected man in hockey" but I haven't seen anyone fired that's really overdue... Or anyone fired at all, really.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I'm curious to know what Bob actually does... Supposedly he's "the most respected man in hockey" but I haven't seen anyone fired that's really overdue... Or anyone fired at all, really.

Probably decides how much to charge for tickets, parking and burgers.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Actually after the Preds acquired Subban many members of the hockey media expected them to do very well.

Predictions for 2016-17 season

Though the Lightning are considered the team to beat in the Eastern Conference, things are much less clear in the Western Conference. Seven different teams received votes as Western Conference champion and five received multiple votes. The Nashville Predators led the field with six votes, followed by the Los Angeles Kings (four), the St. Louis Blues (three) and Chicago Blackhawks (three). The San Jose Sharks, who lost to the Penguins in six games in the 2016 Stanley Cup Final, received two votes to win the Western Conference this season.

THN's 2016-17 NHL season preview: Predictions | The Hockey News

(Preds second place in the Central)

Sportsnet NHL Insider predictions: 2016-17 - Sportsnet.ca

6 people predicted them as the West champions

Experts' predictions for the 2016-17 NHL season

4 predicted them as the West Champion

Lets see these same predictions for Colorados 2017-2018 predictions.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
It's garbage that McLellan has had to face the media all year while Chia and Bobby Nick hide like cowards. Not a fan of TMac but at least he hasn't been afraid to show some accountability, unlike his two ****head bosses.

There's really nothing positive aside from McDavid on this team. Drai and Nuge are a close second but with the former being so inconsistent (due to shitty ass wingers) and Nuge being injured, there really isn't anything to look forward to.

D is still a mess and management is such a gongshow.

TMac sticks his head out after the season is over when throughout the year, he couldve stood behind his team, bitched at the refs, etc etc but nope. Throws players under the bus when he shouldve ran over his assistant coaches with one...I guess at least he said something at the end of the year.

Chia? Aside from that stupid brief session about thousand cuts, he's said nothing at all. Nothing of substance. Ghost. Peter, the stupid Ghost. Prolly chilling with Casper

Bobby Nicks? The same quotes as he said upon initial hiring. Forensic audit. Patient. Nothing else.

sigh..

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains

There is actually fans that think they are hiding like cowards?

Because they are coming out the day that a fan thinks they should?

Color me not surprised

LOL

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
There's really nothing positive aside from McDavid on this team. Drai and Nuge are a close second but with the former being so inconsistent (due to ****ty ass wingers) and Nuge being injured, there really isn't anything to look forward to.

TMac sticks his head out after the season is over when throughout the year, he couldve stood behind his team, *****ed at the refs, etc etc but nope. Throws players under the bus when he shouldve ran over his assistant coaches with one...I guess at least he said something at the end of the year.

Chia? Aside from that stupid brief session about thousand cuts, he's said nothing at all. Nothing of substance. Ghost. Peter, the stupid Ghost. Prolly chilling with Casper

Bobby Nicks? The same quotes as he said upon initial hiring. Forensic audit. Patient. Nothing else.

sigh..

That's probably all I have left.

Play tougher and tell the refs to f*** off every day.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

Color me not surprised

LOL

I think it's more a case of Chia having said nothing throughout the year. I think it's fair to expect something following the end of the season no?

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Lets see these same predictions for Colorados 2017-2018 predictions.
Everyone predicted the Oilers to make the playoffs, and nobody predicted Colorado to make the playoffs.

Also it's not like Colorado strolled into the playoffs, they had to win their very last game. And they're very likely going to get smoked by the Preds.

Why are we suddenly Colorado? Just because they rebounded doesn't mean the Oilers will. It doesn't even mean Colorado's back in business.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
That's probably all I have left.

Play tougher and tell the refs to **** off every day.

Sounds like something Chia would say more than TMac.

TMac would just cycle lines nonstop forgetting time outs exist for a reason.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Everyone predicted the Oilers to make the playoffs, and nobody predicted Colorado to make the playoffs.

Also it's not like Colorado strolled into the playoffs, they had to win their very last game. And they're very likely going to get smoked by the Preds.

Why are we suddenly Colorado? Just because they rebounded doesn't mean the Oilers will. It doesn't even mean Colorado's back in business.

Dont forget that 10 game win streak.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
He sits around and collects a fat paycheck, just like all of Katz's other buddies in the management team.
There's really nothing positive aside from McDavid on this team. Drai and Nuge are a close second but with the former being so inconsistent (due to ****ty ass wingers) and Nuge being injured, there really isn't anything to look forward to.

TMac sticks his head out after the season is over when throughout the year, he couldve stood behind his team, *****ed at the refs, etc etc but nope. Throws players under the bus when he shouldve ran over his assistant coaches with one...I guess at least he said something at the end of the year.

sigh..
I don't have the same hatred for TMac as I do for Chia. It's not his fault he's got a terrible roster and he's never ducked the media.

Color me not surprised

LOL
Yeah. As a season ticket holder I'm pretty f***ing pissed off that the guy who destroyed this team doesn't have the balls to show his face. Every other GM of a non-playoff team has done an interview already. He's a coward.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
He sits around and collects a fat paycheck, just like all of Katz's other buddies in the management team.

I don't have the same hatred for TMac as I do for Chia. It's not his fault he's got a terrible roster and he's never ducked the media.

Yeah. As a season ticket holder I'm pretty ****ing pissed off that the guy who destroyed this team doesn't have the balls to show his face. Every other GM of a non-playoff team has done an interview already. He's a coward.

Cool story, to bad your opinion doesnt matter.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I suggest that anyone defending this ****ing asshat joke of a gm should have their own sandbox where to keep their crap.

A- I don’t “support” Chiarelli. I support organizational patience.
B- Anyone who doesn’t agree with the Fire Chia Mob is automatically painted with the You Support Chiarelli - With Us Or Against Us diatribe as in the Fire Chia Handbook
C- I was thinking of a thread to start but it would automatically be polluted with the same repetitive cynically charged alternative fax posts as are in the 400 page Fire Chia Dumpster.
D- Why bother.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
A- I don’t “support” Chiarelli. I support organizational patience.
B- Anyone who doesn’t agree with the Fire Chia Mob is automatically painted with the You Support Chiarelli - With Us Or Against Us diatribe as in the Fire Chia Handbook
C- I was thinking of a thread to start but it would automatically be polluted with the same repetitive cynically charged alternative fax posts as are in the 400 page Fire Chia Dumpster.
D- Why bother.
Imagine a fanbase being upset at a GM for pissing away a golden ticket on overpaid mediocre players, and then having people tell them to be patient because his terrible plan is still in the works.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
"Will no one rid me of this meddlesome priest?!"

How many threads have required moderator warnings to the Fire Chia crowd now?

How many threads are hijacked with the exact same repetitive cynical posts usually by the same dozen posters?

How many threads are started with different titles suggesting some actual discussion is taking place but in reality are yet another Fire Chia thread.

It would be nice to see the Fire Chia Megaphoning be restricted to the 400 page Fire Chia dumpster as the forum is nearly unliveable for those wanting any sort of other Oiler related discussion or reading.

Reactions: McGhost Division

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Imagine a fanbase being upset at a GM for pissing away a golden ticket on overpaid mediocre players, and then having people tell them to be patient because his terrible plan is still in the works.

Nobody said you or anyone else should not be upset. But there is not a rule here saying everyone should fall into lockstep behind you.

I’m as upset as anyone. I chose to find alternate solutions than megaphoning repetitive cynical posts on a minute by minute basis saying the exact same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad