Peter Chiarelli End Of Season Press Conference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Surprised he didn't schedule his conference to happen in the middle of the Jets game this aft.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Pick out all the teams that missed the playoffs last year, that make it this year.

Then, go through their line up and tell me they didnt have multiple holes?

Then tell me the holes that they filled and how.

Then show me why we cant do the same thing in one summer.

Actually use Colorado for a example, Ill save you some work here, instead of the other 5 teams.

You know that Colorado effectively overhauled it's roster this year, right? They went from one of the oldest teams in the league to one of the youngest and traded their problem child Duchene. They also got a MVP-level performance from MacKinnon, a breakout year from Barrie and strong performances in goal. And they still squeaked in and no one is counting on them to go far.

Contending team is a team that plays in the playoffs.

LOL no. Half the damn league makes the playoffs. Not every one of those teams has the same chance of winning the Cup.

So 3/4 of the teams in the playoffs arent contenders because they have holes?

Yes?

Gotcha, I guess thats why no one picked Preds to make it to the cup finals last year. Finished to low in the standings, and had to many holes.

It's funny because the major holes the Preds had is why they ended up as runners-up and why they went about filling those holes this season as opposed to sitting back and saying "well, every team has holes, as long as we can just make it in we'll be fine."

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I'm afraid to think what another Chia deal would be

Didn't he try RNH for Seth Jones?

Anyway I personally didn't want to keep Hall...or Eberle but getting extra assets from them would probably have made the Oilers respectably deeper right now.....or at least have some light at the end of the tunnel. He did a bad job there. Not adding a goalie is also a bit of a blooper. One that will continue to cost them I think.

So those are some big issues for Chia to overcome but I do think its more important to have the other assets (this years 1st, Yammamoto, JP, Nurse, Drai, RNH) here then the ones that he gave up (Hall, Eberle.....if only for cap reasons). I also think he may be more....accustomed.....to the managing group in Edmonton. I doubt there is another Reinhart trade coming.....for instance. I would also expect he knows he needs to win a trade soon.

One of the big problems that has persisted throughout the decade of darkness is the lack of development from within. I think there has been some "improvement" here....maybe. Maybe that's recency bias but there seems to be more depth and not just coke fridges. I guess I'm skeptical whether there is a coherent program for these kids.....but I wouldn't be surprised if it is better than in years past. I think that affects everything too. Not having those internal options f***s you at the trade table....and it could takes pressure to improve off your big team.....in theory.

blah blah....bliggity blah

Reactions: Night Witch

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
I'm kidding
giphy.gif

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Chia has some serious work to do this offseason IMO it should start now with the firing of McLellan and his whole staff. Not doing so and having us sputter out of the gate next season means that both should be sacked at that point.

Reactions: OilDrop37

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
You of course.

Because clearly you care about what I have to say.

If you think management's doing a good job then good for you.

Actually I don't. It's just that your (and a few other accounts) constant whining and manic posting makes this place nearly unreadable. So I thought I'd mention it. I guess you couldn't care less though so continue on.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
You know that Colorado effectively overhauled it's roster this year, right? They went from one of the oldest teams in the league to one of the youngest and traded their problem child Duchene. They also got a MVP-level performance from MacKinnon, a breakout year from Barrie and strong performances in goal. And they still squeaked in and no one is counting on them to go far.

LOL no. Half the damn league makes the playoffs. Not every one of those teams has the same chance of winning the Cup.

Yes?

It's funny because the major holes the Preds had is why they ended up as runners-up and why they went about filling those holes this season as opposed to sitting back and saying "well, every team has holes, as long as we can just make it in we'll be fine."

No use man, we are doomed.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Actually I don't. It's just that your (and a few other accounts) constant whining and manic posting makes this place nearly unreadable. So I thought I'd mention it. I guess you couldn't care less though so continue on.
Soo.... ignore them?

I post what I want and I also follow the rules.

And if you want to know why this place is "nearly unreadable" may I direct you to the standings?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Can't wait to see what Ryan Rishaug has in store for us lmao.

Can't stand Spector but in the past he's asked tough questions. Hes even admitted that the Hall trade was awful.

:lol:

I'd ask him how he could even consider not removing the entire coaching staff after this season and trading a guy like RNH since our offense beyond McDavid, Drai and Nuge is paper thin. Also what's next given our cap situation? How did you rate Lucic's play this year? Show some balls guys!

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
"Hire better people".

That's the best solution for the organization.

Define “better”.

Because if your going off track record and resume as well as peer respect Chiarelli and TMac we’re both good hires vs who was out there at the time.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Ah yes, logic...

Like the logic that downgrading the team in the offseason was going to help?

A few posters raised their eyebrows at that, wondering how that was conducive to building a contender. As it turns out, it wasn't at all.

The rationale behind the trades has been discussed.

This is not the Fire Chia thread.

Reactions: Aerrol

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Wow, what a coward, how dare he have a press conference a couple days later than the groupthink demands?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Nah everything is fine. Just a tweak away from being a powerhouse to rival the 80s dynasty.

Realistically we are a 2nd line offensive winger, a high end offensive defenseman and a solid 1B option in net away from making any kind of noise while we also upgrade on the likes of Slepyshev, Pakarinen and maybe Caggiula and Kassian as well. Not to mention a new coaching staff. It could be done as ideally Puljujarvi or Yamamoto fills that 2nd line spot and whichever defenseman we hopefully draft this year will fill this hole in a year or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->