Peter Chiarelli End Of Season Press Conference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Imagine a fanbase being upset at a GM for pissing away a golden ticket on overpaid mediocre players, and then having people tell them to be patient because his terrible plan is still in the works.

the problem with your argument is the golden ticket part. that was never in the cards. (see last years Anaheim series). I'm also not sure you can blame anyone for the whole d group, and starting goaltender regressing hard. Even seeing that coming you wouldn't have the assets to fix that.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
the problem with your argument is the golden ticket part. that was never in the cards. (see last years Anaheim series). I'm also not sure you can blame anyone for the whole d group, and starting goaltender regressing hard. Even seeing that coming you wouldn't have the assets to fix that.

Chia assembled this D corp and it was never a good enough D corp. It was bound to regress. Hell, Chia himself openly admitted that they likely overachieved last season even before the season started. Coupled with the fact he knew Sekera was going to be gone for months, his solutions? Bring in Auvitu and sign Russell that contract

smh

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Sens just announced that Dorian will have his season ending conference tomorrow.

Thought every single team already had them?

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Chia assembled this D corp and it was never a good enough D corp. It was bound to regress. Hell, Chia himself openly admitted that they likely overachieved last season even before the season started. Coupled with the fact he knew Sekera was going to be gone for months, his solutions? Bring in Auvitu and sign Russell that contract

smh

Sounds like he couldn't get anyone else.

I mean if Larsson cost Hall what do you think another deal would do?

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Agreed. I wish otherwise but I would be shocked if it was more than just the assistants being fired.

Given that TMac just gave a presser and the talk of the need for patience I’d be surprised if he was let go.

I think Herbers was due to move on back to U of A this year? I could see the two bench coaches not having their deals renewed and think some new thinking would benefit TMac whose had the same assistants now for what, I think a decade? I am not sure that is a good thing as Group Think becomes ingrained. It’s good to change the makeup of a coaching team. I think it’s Babcock who always brings in a new assistant coach regularly, whether or not it’s by design I don’t know.

What about the goalie coach, DS? Do you think he should be replaced?

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Nobody said you or anyone else should not be upset. But there is not a rule here saying everyone should fall into lockstep behind you.

I’m as upset as anyone. I chose to find alternate solutions than megaphoning repetitive cynical posts on a minute by minute basis saying the exact same thing.
"Hire better people".

That's the best solution for the organization.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
He was at the townhall yesterday. Not sure what else he can say..

That was a season ticket holder meaning. Answering questions to fans and paying people.

Media now gets to ask questions.

Didnt Chia do a season ticket meeting just before the end of the year? Oh right, thats different to push a agenda.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
The golden ticket is McDavid's ELC. That's completely gone now. It will never come back.

And I sure as hell can blame the GM for not upgrading the D (which everyone knew we needed) or at the very least bringing in a stopgap for Sekera's absence, which everyone knew was going to hurt.

What was the point in acquiring so much cap space this year if he wasn't going to use it? Oh and I already know the answer. "To have the space available to acquire more assets at the TDL". Nobody needs that much space. What they need is to get to the TDL in the first place. Even the elite teams still had room to add at the deadline.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
That was a season ticket holder meaning. Answering questions to fans and paying people.

Media now gets to ask questions.

Didnt Chia do a season ticket meeting just before the end of the year? Oh right, thats different to push a agenda.

Media and ticket holders were there. Who cares who is asking questions? The media in general is pretty incompetent when asking tough questions anyways.

The bottom line is they were there. Showing their faces. No excuse that Chia can't show his until the bloody playoffs start.

But its classic Oilers.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Well he's supposed to have it today at 12, as was just announced. Not sure what took him so long. Was he buying a bullet proof vest?

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
The whole point is that there is more at play than simple 'player value' when addressing those deals though, which has been the entire point all along. Taylor Hall was never a 'Hart-trophy calibre talent' in Edmonton and finding a deal that would return us a 'top 30 player' at any position while also fitting our financial needs was ambitious. The Edmonton Oilers never had the trade leverage to make that deal. The Jordan Eberle deal moreso. The writing was on the wall this was a player the Edmonton Oilers could not afford to keep.

The New Jersey Devils are a team that batted well above their expected average this season. They latched onto the back of a player having a career season and barely scraped into the dance. Crediting Ray Shero for building a quality product is very premature. And again we're talking about a GM who took over a team with one of the league's lowest payrolls, a quality defense and high end prospect cabinet. They were a couple years removed from a Stanley Cup Finals appearance. People need to stop comparing other teams to the Oilers because its ultimately ignoring the key point. The turnaround the new GM was faced with in Edmonton was a significant one.

And it constantly baffles me that this comment continuously gets made when no one addresses these points at face value. I could give two hoots about his time in Boston. He had a completely different set of challenges there. The moves he made were coordinated with them, not some magic GM aura that he carries with him that makes him spend ludicrous cap dollars and make significant player deals. It constantly baffles me that some people are so obtuse when it comes to seeing the job that sat in front of the GM who took over from the previous era. Do you sincerely think that was an enviable post? Sure, you get McDavid, but that team was due for an enema.

Logic doesn’t work here. Only emotionally charged repetitive rhetoric.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Well he's supposed to have it today at 12, as was just announced. Not sure what took him so long. Was he buying a bullet proof vest?

His coach went to Humboldt for a day to be with the victims of the crash. Reason enough?

If not perhaps they needed more time and a good organization will take the time they need to make decisions.

I doubt a press conference being held today vs yesterday will change the fortunes of the team.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond

Where was it announced? I don't see it yet on either the Oilers twitter feed or their homepage...

Never mind...just saw the post 2 above mine now.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Logic doesn’t work here. Only emotionally charged repetitive rhetoric.
Ah yes, logic...

Like the logic that downgrading the team in the offseason was going to help?

A few posters raised their eyebrows at that, wondering how that was conducive to building a contender. As it turns out, it wasn't at all.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
It's garbage that McLellan has had to face the media all year while Chia and Bobby Nick hide like cowards. Not a fan of TMac but at least he hasn't been afraid to show some accountability, unlike his two ****head bosses.

Face the media? lol

Todd's end of year presser was him stating how he takes blame and then the very next point he blames the players. "We told em not to be overconfident, but they didn't listen and didn't try!"

What a joke.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
His coach went to Humboldt for a day to be with the victims of the crash. Reason enough?

If not perhaps they needed more time and a good organization will take the time they need to make decisions.

I doubt a press conference today vs yesterday will change the fortunes of the team.
Unless he plans on hiding behind his coach, he doesn't need him to be there.

Chiarelli made precious few appearances this season and usually gave the same rhetoric responses to the same softball questions our media telegraphed.

When you eff up this badly you need to be held accountable.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
It's garbage that McLellan has had to face the media all year while Chia and Bobby Nick hide like cowards. Not a fan of TMac but at least he hasn't been afraid to show some accountability, unlike his two ****head bosses.

You think the guy who has blamed literally everyone in the organization other than himself showed some accountability?

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Unless he plans on hiding behind his coach, he doesn't need him to be there.

Chiarelli made precious few appearances this season and usually gave the same rhetoric responses to the same softball questions our media telegraphed.

When you eff up this badly you need to be held accountable.

I'm curious. This is what? Your 10,000th post saying the exact same thing? Who exactly are you trying to convince here?

Reactions: Night Witch

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
If these guys listen to the media at all Tmac will be here another year. And so will Woodcroft, based on their "excellent" reputations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad