Peter Chiarelli End Of Season Press Conference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
This team was one of the top NHL teams in 2016-2017. Did the team over achieve, maybe they did, but that just means they for sure under achieved this year. If anyone goes this year, it will be the coach, which I think he gets one more season, but wont be surprised if hes let go. The manager will get another year for sure, hes also the president of hockey operations, no way he will be let go.

Hf oil are going to really be let down when they find out Chia is staying for a while yet.

It'll be a changing of the assistant coaches IMO, nothing more, and I expect Coffey to be named one of the assistants.

The only "puff of smoke" is coming out of Stauffer's rear, Chia and TMac aren't going anywhere....yet.

Reactions: Aerrol

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
It's amazing how this year is okay because we did so well last year.

Don't worry, things will be better because we have lots of cap space, blue chip prospects, and.... Oh...

If the NHL was this easy, every single team wouldnt have a single hole in the organization. Every team would be perfect. Perfect coaches, perfect prospects, every team would actually have 50 Connor McDavids in the organization.

Just shows how little fans actually know.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
If the NHL was this easy, every single team wouldnt have a single hole in the organization. Every team would be perfect. Perfect coaches, perfect prospects, every team would actually have 50 Connor McDavids in the organization.

Just shows how little fans actually know.
But the Oilers have LOTS of holes. They don't have any good scoring wingers, they have a mediocre defense, and there's that goalie you love to rail on.

The Oilers have elite center depth and that's the only thing they have. No good coaching, no good management, drafting and developing is suspect...

So please tell me why I should be optimistic about next year? Because as this year shows, not even Connor McDavid can drag this team out of the shit at his best.

Reactions: dawunderboy

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
But the Oilers have LOTS of holes. They don't have any good scoring wingers, they have a mediocre defense, and there's that goalie you love to rail on.

The Oilers have elite center depth and that's the only thing they have. No good coaching, no good management, drafting and developing is suspect...

So please tell me why I should be optimistic about next year? Because as this year shows, not even Connor McDavid can drag this team out of the **** at his best.

Every single team has, and always has holes with the salary cap. You try and fill them come trade deadline with UFA rentals.

You dont have to be optimistic, you can sit here and think you know so much more then everyone else, and keep telling us. Just remember not many are listening.

We have a group that over achieved last year as a top team in the league, and we had that same team under achieve this year, missing the playoffs, which is unacceptable, but happened.

The core is still the same, a few tweaks that are obvious to everyone, and we should be back to a contending team.

We arent entering a full blown rebuild here. We just need to start a new season with a few tweaks and this team will be fine, contending.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

So please tell me why I should be optimistic about next year? Because as this year shows, not even Connor McDavid can drag this team out of the **** at his best.

Because Larsson, Klefbom, Sekera, Talbot and Lucic all had career worst seasons that are highly unlikely to be replicated. That's a lot of very key players who provided nothing this season.

The roster needs some fixing and I don't believe in the coaching staff one bit or the GM to fix the holes properly but it's not as dire as some are making it out to be.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Every single team has, and always has holes with the salary cap. You try and fill them come trade deadline with UFA rentals.

Well that was certainly the idea this year, but as our GM quickly found out, you need to make it to the TDL first. The thing about holes is that the GM is supposed to address them.

You dont have to be optimistic, you can sit here and think you know so much more then everyone else, and keep telling us. Just remember not many are listening.

I'm far from the only person who isn't optimistic about next year. Many members of the media are skeptical that the Oilers will be that much better next year because of certain managerial decisions.

We have a group that over achieved last year as a top team in the league, and we had that same team under achieve this year, missing the playoffs, which is unacceptable, but happened.

Missing the playoffs and really not even being close shouldn't be acceptable now. The Oilers were basically out of it since Halloween and there doesn't seem to be any sense that there will be major changes. I could be wrong on this one but Todd's presser didn't sound like a guy who was on the way out.

The core is still the same, a few tweaks that are obvious to everyone, and we should be back to a contending team.

Again, terrible wingers, mediocre defense, suspect goaltending.

We arent entering a full blown rebuild here. We just need to start a new season with a few tweaks and this team will be fine, contending.

Even if we were there isn't much of a chance that the really bad contracts are getting dealt for anything good. And that's the crux of the issue. The Oilers have too much money tied up in mediocre players like Sekera and Russell.

This team needs more than a few tweaks when the weaknesses outweigh the strengths.

If McDavid wasn't on the ice the Oilers had a very, very low percent chance of doing anything good.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Because Larsson, Klefbom, Sekera, Talbot and Lucic all had career worst seasons that are highly unlikely to be replicated. That's a lot of very key players who provided nothing this season.

The roster needs some fixing and I don't believe in the coaching staff one bit or the GM to fix the holes properly but it's not as dire as some are making it out to be.
We HOPE that those years aren't replicated. That's the key thing here. We expect them to rebound but there's no guarantee of that whatsoever. And even if they all do, if Talbot doesn't the next year is toast.

The GM made a ton of bets this year that didn't pay off and unfortunately a good number of those bets will be with the team next year.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
It'll be a changing of the assistant coaches IMO, nothing more, and I expect Coffey to be named one of the assistants.

The only "puff of smoke" is coming out of Stauffer's rear, Chia and TMac aren't going anywhere....yet.

Agreed. I wish otherwise but I would be shocked if it was more than just the assistants being fired.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Well that was certainly the idea this year, but as our GM quickly found out, you need to make it to the TDL first. The thing about holes is that the GM is supposed to address them.

I'm far from the only person who isn't optimistic about next year. Many members of the media are skeptical that the Oilers will be that much better next year because of certain managerial decisions.

Missing the playoffs and really not even being close shouldn't be acceptable now. The Oilers were basically out of it since Halloween and there doesn't seem to be any sense that there will be major changes. I could be wrong on this one but Todd's presser didn't sound like a guy who was on the way out.

Again, terrible wingers, mediocre defense, suspect goaltending.

Even if we were there isn't much of a chance that the really bad contracts are getting dealt for anything good. And that's the crux of the issue. The Oilers have too much money tied up in mediocre players like Sekera and Russell.

This team needs more than a few tweaks when the weaknesses outweigh the strengths.

If McDavid wasn't on the ice the Oilers had a very, very low percent chance of doing anything good.

Remember when Colorado last year was one of the worst in the history with suspect goaltending, mediocore defense, and terrible wingers, and not a bunch of center depth?

Flyers
Avs
Tampa
Devils
Jets
Kings
and expansion Knights

All those never made the playoffs last year, most had declining players, pretty much all of them were tire fires with multiple holes in the organization.

Oh what one summer can do.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

Every team has holes but not every team has the same number of holes or they have the high end skill to make up for it. A team like pittsburgh might have shallow depth and a middling D, but they have three superstar forwards. Nashville doesn't have much in the way of elite forwards but they have the best D in the league. The Oilers have neither the depth nor the abundance of high end talent to even be spoken of in the same breath as those contending teams.

We were never a contending team, just a team that caught lightning in a bottle. A few tweaks might put us into the playoffs, but there's too many holes for this thing to be considered a real contender. It's going to take a couple of years to build that up.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
We HOPE that those years aren't replicated. That's the key thing here. We expect them to rebound but there's no guarantee of that whatsoever. And even if they all do, if Talbot doesn't the next year is toast.

The GM made a ton of bets this year that didn't pay off and unfortunately a good number of those bets will be with the team next year.

All those players have at least a couple year track record of being far better than they were this season (Klef, Sekera, Lucic and Talbot basically gave us nothing this season, literally nothing outside of a few stretches but negative play) so it's not a hope, it's an expectation that all will be better next season.

Again, they need some upgrades for sure but it's not a hopeless situation like some are portraying it to be.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Remember when Colorado last year was one of the worst in the history with suspect goaltending, mediocore defense, and terrible wingers, and not a bunch of center depth?

Flyers
Avs
Tampa
Devils
Jets
Kings
and expansion Knights

All those never made the playoffs last year, most had declining players, pretty much all of them were tire fires with multiple holes in the organization.

Good god, man if you're gonna make those comparisons, look at the individual circumstances. Tampa missed it's best player and talisman and just barely missed out. The Jets were an high end team that couldn't get a save. None of the other teams you listed are real contenders, which is probably the same boat the Oilers are in. A few tweaks and some better luck away from making the dance, but nowhere near good enough to win it all.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Every team has holes but not every team has the same number of holes or they have the high end skill to make up for it. A team like pittsburgh might have shallow depth and a middling D, but they have three superstar forwards. Nashville doesn't have much in the way of elite forwards but they have the best D in the league. The Oilers have neither the depth nor the abundance of high end talent to even be spoken of in the same breath as those contending teams.

We were never a contending team, just a team that caught lightning in a bottle. A few tweaks might put us into the playoffs, but there's too many holes for this thing to be considered a real contender. It's going to take a couple of years to build that up.

Pick out all the teams that missed the playoffs last year, that make it this year.

Then, go through their line up and tell me they didnt have multiple holes?

Then tell me the holes that they filled and how.

Then show me why we cant do the same thing in one summer.

Actually use Colorado for a example, Ill save you some work here, instead of the other 5 teams.

Contending team is a team that plays in the playoffs. As far as filling holes to build that up, no it wont take that long.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

Flyers
Avs
Tampa
Devils
Jets
Kings
and expansion Knights

Remember the teams that made the playoffs last year that didn't this year? It's a 2-way street. The Oilers should've been set up to contend this year and then the GM inexplicably made the team worse. The only time PC tried to improve the team was when there wasn't any playoff hope left.

And now that precious cap space our GM worked so hard to acquire is gone. Completely used up on bloated extensions. We don't have cap space, we don't have trade chips and we don't have any prospects that look like a sure thing.

There's a damn good reason why people want Peter Chiarelli to be gone before he does anymore damage. This team isn't a threat to anyone but itself, just like the good old days.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Good god, man if you're gonna make those comparisons, look at the individual circumstances. Tampa missed it's best player and talisman and just barely missed out. The Jets were an high end team that couldn't get a save. None of the other teams you listed are real contenders, which is probably the same boat the Oilers are in. A few tweaks and some better luck away from making the dance, but nowhere near good enough to win it all.

So 3/4 of the teams in the playoffs arent contenders because they have holes?

Gotcha, I guess thats why no one picked Preds to make it to the cup finals last year. Finished to low in the standings, and had to many holes.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
All those players have at least a couple year track record of being far better than they were this season (Klef, Sekera, Lucic and Talbot basically gave us nothing this season, literally nothing outside of a few stretches but negative play) so it's not a hope, it's an expectation that all will be better next season.

Again, they need some upgrades for sure but it's not a hopeless situation like some are portraying it to be.
The fact that we're betting on players to improve (again) is the rope we're clinging onto for dear life.

McDavid and Talbot were the main reasons we got into the playoffs and we all knew if either one of those things were to fall off the Oilers would be screwed. Sure enough...

The team just isn't that strong up front or on the back end. Upgrades are required and I don't think we have the cap space or assets to make that happen.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Remember the teams that made the playoffs last year that didn't this year? It's a 2-way street. The Oilers should've been set up to contend this year and then the GM inexplicably made the team worse. The only time PC tried to improve the team was when there wasn't any playoff hope left.

And now that precious cap space our GM worked so hard to acquire is gone. Completely used up on bloated extensions. We don't have cap space, we don't have trade chips and we don't have any prospects that look like a sure thing.

There's a damn good reason why people want Peter Chiarelli to be gone before he does anymore damage. This team isn't a threat to anyone but itself, just like the good old days.

Pretty easy to say hey, bet you thought Colorado last year was in for a long huge rebuild. Bet you didnt like how Vegas picked the team and thought they would be a lottery team. Bet you dont think Philly could win the cup this year.

My point is, nothing is ever set in stone as much as you think it is. Lots can change from month to month in the NHL.

Reactions: Night Witch

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
The fact that we're betting on players to improve (again) is the rope we're clinging onto for dear life.

McDavid and Talbot were the main reasons we got into the playoffs and we all knew if either one of those things were to fall off the Oilers would be screwed. Sure enough...

The team just isn't that strong up front or on the back end. Upgrades are required and I don't think we have the cap space or assets to make that happen.

Just think Colorado......

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
So 3/4 of the teams in the playoffs arent contenders because they have holes?

Gotcha, I guess thats why no one picked Preds to make it to the cup finals last year. Finished to low in the standings, and had to many holes.
Actually after the Preds acquired Subban many members of the hockey media expected them to do very well.

Predictions for 2016-17 season

Though the Lightning are considered the team to beat in the Eastern Conference, things are much less clear in the Western Conference. Seven different teams received votes as Western Conference champion and five received multiple votes. The Nashville Predators led the field with six votes, followed by the Los Angeles Kings (four), the St. Louis Blues (three) and Chicago Blackhawks (three). The San Jose Sharks, who lost to the Penguins in six games in the 2016 Stanley Cup Final, received two votes to win the Western Conference this season.

THN's 2016-17 NHL season preview: Predictions | The Hockey News

(Preds second place in the Central)

Sportsnet NHL Insider predictions: 2016-17 - Sportsnet.ca

6 people predicted them as the West champions

Experts' predictions for the 2016-17 NHL season

4 predicted them as the West Champion

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

Well, I don't know what else to say. I guess we're doomed

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Just think Colorado......
Just think Edmonton....

Pretty easy to say hey, bet you thought Colorado last year was in for a long huge rebuild. Bet you didnt like how Vegas picked the team and thought they would be a lottery team. Bet you dont think Philly could win the cup this year.

My point is, nothing is ever set in stone as much as you think it is. Lots can change from month to month in the NHL.
I don't think Philly will win the Cup this year.

And no, nothing is set is stone. Except for the front office positions. Rumour has it those names are chiseled into the 10 commandments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad