Confirmed with Link: Pens sign Eric Fehr (3 years, $2M per)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Oh, if he can recover 100% and be the same player, I agree 100%. I think it is a risk. But meh, whatever 2M$ per for 3 years, not as if the contract was crippling.

With Sid and Geno up the middle and Sutter on his last year of contract something had to be done, no way JR was going to extend Sutter at around 4 million a year to play that role

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I'm honestly not hugely concerned about the term of the contract or the injury. Were he not out until December-ish... they certainly wouldn't have gotten this deal. They'll have him back for the most important parts of next season, anyway. And combined with the Sutter deal and hopefully Sundqvist's continued developmental arc... they should have the depth they need until then.

Nice day's work, really.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
If my memory serves me correctly, Fehr is good on the PK right?

He did see good PK minutes for Washington (not as much as Sutter though). He's also very good at faceoffs for a guy who mainly played on the wing, plus is a right shot which helps.

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
Great signing. Fehr's going to be a very good bottom-6'er for this team.

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
Love it. Big fan of Eric Fehr. Trade Kunitz's and Scuderi's ass. Get a big mean rugged forward and defenseman; this team is set to compete.

Nick Bonino has a wicked wrist shot. Like him as well.

Rectify

I HAVE A JOB!!
Oct 16, 2008
Around
He did see good PK minutes for Washington (not as much as Sutter though). He's also very good at faceoffs for a guy who mainly played on the wing, plus is a right shot which helps.

Woops, didn't know Fehr was good on the draw, that is going to help with the loss of Sutter.

If he can come back and be 100%, this is going to be one hell of a great day for GMJR.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I'm honestly not hugely concerned about the term of the contract or the injury. Were he not out until December-ish... they certainly wouldn't have gotten this deal. They'll have him back for the most important parts of next season, anyway. And combined with the Sutter deal and hopefully Sundqvist's continued developmental arc... they should have the depth they need until then.

Nice day's work, really.

Give Sundqvist the 4C role then shift him to wing. Works for me.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Fehr's a weird case. I can't think of any player that switched from scoring forward to checking center so late in their career and did so well almost immediately. I think Trotz' system has a lot to do with that, but 52% on faceoffs isn't a product of the system. There might be some concern that in a less insulated system he can't handle the defensive zone responsibilities as well, but worst case scenario we just move him back to wing where he's still a huge body that can grind and score.

RxPens

Oct 7, 2008
Just something to think about and temper expectations...

If Fehr was so valuable as a 3C for Washington, why wouldn't they bring him back at only $2M? The guy loves the city as he had a horrendous season for the Jets and ended up back in Washington. They don't exactly have an in-house solution to 3C either.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Washington is in a holding pattern until Marcus Johansson's arbitration deal is done. The Capitals also likely lack even $2M in cap space. Further still, with Backstrom potentially missing the beginning of the season due to his surgery, having an injured Fehr would mean a lot of center depth missing. I also have concerns about how Fehr would do at 3C on Washington now that Ward is gone and it's likely to be a more up-tempo line with one of Burakovsky or Johansson on it.

Fehr's a weird case. I can't think of any player that switched from scoring forward to checking center so late in their career and did so well almost immediately. I think Trotz' system has a lot to do with that, but 52% on faceoffs isn't a product of the system. There might be some concern that in a less insulated system he can't handle the defensive zone responsibilities as well, but worst case scenario we just move him back to wing where he's still a huge body that can grind and score.

He made the switch to center under Adam Oates, not Barry Trotz.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I would worry more about it if it weren't such a low risk contract. I don't think anyone is even expecting that much. Just a competent bottom six player with positional flexibility (it's nice that he WANTS to play center... but I'm sure he'll play where he is best, ultimately), size and who knows and is content with his role on the team.

I don't think anyone is expecting the Fehr that he was once projected to be back in the days or Ryan Stone. The injury is a little scary... but only because of how we've all been conditioned, I think. Realistically... it's not that huge a deal.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
The quality of the contract will entirely depend on the completeness of his recovery. If he does recover and is the same player, then it's a fine contract. Who really cares if he's out until December in year 1?

Except that his first year with us will likely be rough. He'll be out till Dec, which means his game when he comes back will not be where it was before he was hurt. He'll likely be decent, and at 2m a solid value regardless. But I think the big thing will be how he does in year 2. It also shows that we're not going to have to rush Sundqvist. We now have two solid bottom 6 centers and Sundqvist can adjust to the speed of the game in the minors or on the wing until he's ready to be a center in the NHL.

All in all I love this deal. Especially with Sutter gone and Bonino brought in.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Just something to think about and temper expectations...

If Fehr was so valuable as a 3C for Washington, why wouldn't they bring him back at only $2M? The guy loves the city as he had a horrendous season for the Jets and ended up back in Washington. They don't exactly have an in-house solution to 3C either.

Caps have...well, cap issues. They still need to sign Marcus Johansson and he's going to cost them 4.5m+, that limits their cap spending quite a bit.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Caps have...well, cap issues. They still need to sign Marcus Johansson and he's going to cost them 4.5m+, that limits their cap spending quite a bit.

Johansson's arbitration ask was only $4.75M. It's highly unlikely he costs $4.5M. Smith's RFA year was $3.75M, and most expect Johansson's arbitration ruling to fall into the $3.75-$4M window.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad