Confirmed with Link: Pens sign Eric Fehr (3 years, $2M per)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valarukar

Jul 20, 2011
Pittsburgh
I'm not really worried about an elbow injury. I feel like it's a very simple joint. Maybe I'm wrong though. Have elbow injuries effected guys a lot in the past?

trickster

Maple Leaf Lane Forever
Mar 6, 2002
Leaf Nation
Folks, a 3 year deal is nothing... at 2 mil?
Stop the insanity. There is nothing wrong with this deal at all. Good move Pittsburgh.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
I like the deal a lot. Fehr is a decent player and if he misses half the season so what? We're getting him in time to get ready for the playoffs, which is all that really matters in a case like this. We'll be saving half his salary to mess around with elsewhere. In terms of when it really matters, we're basically getting him for half price this season.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Unbelievable deal. I thought Fehr could fetch around 3.5 on the market. He's a great third line centre with size and skill, HUGE addition. He's also my uncle's cousin's husband. I am SO psyched right now.

So did I. We signed him for about half of what I thought he was worth on the open market.

Anyways, I've liked him since I lived in Maryland and used to semi-follow the Caps.

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com
Folks, a 3 year deal is nothing... at 2 mil?
Stop the insanity. There is nothing wrong with this deal at all. Good move Pittsburgh.

Reflex actions after Ray Shero signed aging vets Scuderi, Kunitz, Dupuis to long term contracts. Some fans can't help but question after being burned over the last number of years.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
Reflex actions after Ray Shero signed aging vets Scuderi, Kunitz, Dupuis to long term contracts. Some fans can't help but question after being burned over the last number of years.

He will be what? 32 at the end of the deal? That's not the same as signing players into their late 30s. Plus his deal was a lot cheaper than those. It's not Shero, it's just people not really knowing what they're talking about frankly, aside from maybe worries about the elbow.

kbuck8851

Apr 25, 2012
He will be what? 32 at the end of the deal? That's not the same as signing players into their late 30s. Plus his deal was a lot cheaper than those. It's not Shero, it's just people not really knowing what they're talking about frankly, aside from maybe worries about the elbow.

Exactly. The "Kunitz, Scuderi deal" comparison will be if we resign him at the end of this deal for 4 yrs/3.5 per. Then he would be in line for the same criticism.

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com
Exactly. The "Kunitz, Scuderi deal" comparison will be if we resign him at the end of this deal for 4 yrs/3.5 per. Then he would be in line for the same criticism.

This is just Apples and Oranges with fans downplaying the accomplishments of both Scuderi & Kunitz. It was never a good move to sign ANY 30+ guys but Kunitz had 35 goals as recently as 2013-2014 and Scuderi was a big part of the LA Kings first cup in 2012 and the Pens 3rd in 2009. Eric Fehr is a role player and doesn't have the resume both Kunitz or Scuderi do.

RxPens

Oct 7, 2008
Not really even concerned about the elbow injury to be honest. It's his career long battle with reccurring shoulder injuries that is the only worry in my mind. But hey, I guess that what IR is for... and our owners certainly are not going to complain about 2M is salary overages :laugh:. The shoulder problems are a big part of what necessitated his move to C to begin with. Fehr won't be a 2.5 year asset on RW, even though it would be in the bottom 6. I'm optimistic he will regain his form at C. He will certainly be motivated. Quality person and athlete I've had the joy of watching since his mid-teens in Brandon. It's still a risk, albeit a small one.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Let's assume Fehr is healthy to start the season. Assuming no other moves, here is my lineup:

Perron-Crosby-Hornqvist
Plots-Malkin-Kessel
Sundqvist-Fehr-Dupuis
Kunitz-Bonino-Bennett

The bottom 2 lines are interchangeable, but I tried to create a shutdown line and a secondary offensive line that can feast on other team's 4th lines. I would play Bonino and co in primarily offensive situations and Fehr's line would get all of the Dzone situations in the bottom 6.

nothingbeatshockey

May 3, 2013
Given that he's our only center who won over 50% of his draws last year, we really shouldn't consider using him in any other capacity.

Caps fan here and a big fan of Fehr's. Last year was his first at center and he showed continued improvement in the faceoff circle. Played on our third line, which was the shut-down line going against the other teams top line night in and night out.

Terribly disappointed that the Caps couldn't / wouldn't / didn't resign him.

From all accounts he seems to be a good locker room presence.

Anyone complaining about him at $2 million per year should find something else to worry about. If, and it's a big question of if, he can stay healthy, this is a steal.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
So, if Fehr wants/is a center, does that make Bonino a winger by default? Can't believe we will "waste" of them as the fourth line center.

I guess we will see.

Why do one of them have to be a winger? Sundqvist can shift to wing and has played a lot of his pro career there. I'd run the lines similar to what Anaheim did in the playoffs. Have a veteran 3rd line that is used for defensive situations and match-ups. I would make that line something like Sundqvist-Fehr-Dupuis. Then create a 4th line that provides an offensive punch and allows young guys prime offensive opportunities where they won't "hurt" you similar to what Anaheim did with Etem, Rackell, and Sekac. That line could be Kunitz-Bonino-Bennett. If you move out Kunitz, then throw Wilson, Rust, whoever else there.

Can you imagine the damage Kunitz-Bonino-Bennett can do against the Tanner Glass' of the world?

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Caps fan here and a big fan of Fehr's. Last year was his first at center and he showed continued improvement in the faceoff circle. Played on our third line, which was the shut-down line going against the other teams top line night in and night out.

Terribly disappointed that the Caps couldn't / wouldn't / didn't resign him.

From all accounts he seems to be a good locker room presence.

Anyone complaining about him at $2 million per year should find something else to worry about. If, and it's a big question of if, he can stay healthy, this is a steal.

I think we're all pretty pumped about the signing. He'd been a target FA for the board.

Greeneye

May 17, 2006
Golden, CO
Not that it really matters but Fehr is a great dude off the ice as well. I live right outside of DC and I've seen/heard him doing a lot of great stuff.

M0NTY26

Force from Ma'gorsk
Feb 27, 2010
Trade our 3C and get a great return.

Sign a better suited 3C for cheaper.

This is like NHL15 stuff right here, I love the way Fehr plays the game, hopefully he makes a speedy recovery.

Except NHL 15 wouldn't even except that trade lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad