Confirmed with Link: Pens sign Eric Fehr (3 years, $2M per)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
If he wasn't injured he'd have commanded more and been signed already. Guys in the bargain bin will have warts.

Indeed.

No biggie, he'll be LTIR'd and it'll give a young guy or two a chance to see what they've got (and what we've got in them) in the meantime.

The 3rd year was likely what it took to get the deal done.

Greeneye

May 17, 2006
Golden, CO
Even if he is out until December this is a great deal. I think he is a better RW than C but for 2 mil he is a steal.

DoktorZaius

Feb 7, 2013
Ouch, if Fehr is indeed out until December, it is a very bad signing.
The quality of the contract will entirely depend on the completeness of his recovery. If he does recover and is the same player, then it's a fine contract. Who really cares if he's out until December in year 1?

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Unbelievable deal. I thought Fehr could fetch around 3.5 on the market. He's a great third line centre with size and skill, HUGE addition. He's also my uncle's cousin's husband. I am SO psyched right now.

he would have if he wasant injured, so yes it turns out great for pens

Deutschland Dangler

Jun 17, 2014
Him being out at the beginning of the season gives Sundqvist a real chance to grab that 4C spot. I have no issues with that, seeing that he comes at a price tag of $2 million.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
$2mil is exactly what we needed to spend on a 3C. Love this. Come playoff time, we will be deep.

djt153

Dec 26, 2003
Him being out at the beginning of the season gives Sundqvist a real chance to grab that 4C spot. I have no issues with that, seeing that he comes at a price tag of $2 million.

yeah, everyone knows what fehr brings and him missing out on oct/nov/dec just has him with fresher legs in may/june. no way sundqvist gets a chance in may/june unless he shows something in oct/nov/dec, so this works great from my perspective.

SprootsMasterFlex

Sprootsing 4 Life
Apr 20, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Great deal. Gives us some cap relief until December. He'll be fresh half way through the season and we get to give Sundqvist a shot to prove his worth too until Fehr returns.

Rectify

I HAVE A JOB!!
Oct 16, 2008
Around
Trade our 3C and get a great return.

Sign a better suited 3C for cheaper.

This is like NHL15 stuff right here, I love the way Fehr plays the game, hopefully he makes a speedy recovery.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
$2M for a legit 3rd Line Centre, especially in 3 years, is about as bargain basement as it gets without an ELC. Welcome to the Pens Eric Fehr!!! :handclap:

FWIW, Fehr's track record at center is pretty limited. He was a winger his entire career until 2013-14, when he switched to center. Don't get me wrong, the last two seasons he has been a terrific 3C in Washington, but that was essentially on one line with Joel Ward at RW and either Jason Chimera or Brooks Laich at LW. The lines had a very clear identity, where they would cycle the puck (pretty much at will) in the offensive zone. If he can find two wingers he's on the same wavelength with and a cycling line like that can be assembled again, he could resume that style of play. However, if he's centering a line where he needs to be more of a playmaker or take a more proactive approach, it's entering unproven territory.

Granted, he does have a very solid track record as a winger to fall back on if he doesn't fit as a center.

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
Don't care if he'll be out a few months. It'll give Sundqvist some more opportunities.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
FWIW, Fehr's track record at center is pretty limited. He was a winger his entire career until 2013-14, when he switched to center. Don't get me wrong, the last two seasons he has been a terrific 3C in Washington, but that was essentially on one line with Joel Ward at RW and either Jason Chimera or Brooks Laich at LW. The lines had a very clear identity, where they would cycle the puck (pretty much at will) in the offensive zone. If he can find two wingers he's on the same wavelength with and a cycling line like that can be assembled again, he could resume that style of play. However, if he's centering a line where he needs to be more of a playmaker or take a more proactive approach, it's entering unproven territory.

Granted, he does have a very solid track record as a winger to fall back on if he doesn't fit as a center.

A cycle line is exactly what we need, Pens quick strike line of Brandon Sutter wasn't providing enough.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
A cycle line is exactly what we need, Pens quick strike line of Brandon Sutter wasn't providing enough.

I don't disagree with that. It just remains to be seen if it will be constructed, and if Fehr will find the same chemistry that he did with Joel Ward and Chimera/Laich. He's basically never been a center away from Ward.

RxPens

Oct 7, 2008

All things that I have mentioned over the summer. Don't get me wrong I like Fehr, but I just don't think he fits this team's system. His speed is a detriment, and that is only going to compound things if he can't regain that 3C form that he has shown for only the better part of one season. Lot's of ifs here, but I guess thats why got him at $2M. Really hope it works out for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA