Series Talk: Pens (1) vs. Isles (4) - 1st round

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Sid is going to have to be ready to play backup

You’re only as good as your last game.......

maxime-lagace-2021-50.jpg

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I'd like to see what Sully does before crowning him the king of the reformed re: adjustments. Not having awful players on the blueline helps a whole lot. Then again, when we did have awful players, Sully not only consistently dressed them, but played them, together, and in important situations despite them constantly decimating us whenever they hopped over the boards.

Reactions: wgknestrick

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
The tweet about this went by without a comment, but I recommend reading it.

Jesse does a great job breaking down how the Penguins made adjustments this season to their breakouts and their work in the offensive zone against the Islanders to break the trap and the exploit some weaknesses.

Marshall: A deep analysis of the Islanders' defense — and how the Penguins can beat it with versatility

And that has been the key question to me.

All the talk you always hear about it is a new season, the regular season means nothing, and on and on. Often it is true. But in this case the Pens were built to beat Trotz.

The Islanders are a defense first modified trap that is designed to pounce on mistakes and go the other way.

When you have Jack Johnson, or almost as bad, up and down the defensive pairings, and slugs on the offensive side with a top heavy team it is simple. You limit the handful of skill and dare the slugs to beat you. Spoiler alert. Jack Johnson is not going to beat you.

So the Pens changed the build to closer to 2016, and the regular season happened. Not just against the Islanders, but make no mistake, I am sure Trotz and two years ago was in the Pens' head.

Which brings the question. If a team is taking away what you do best how do you adjust? Example, the New Jersey Devils had the Pens' number for years. Couldn't beat anyone else, but were the Pens', and what they do, kryptonite. The Pens simply could not, or would not, adjust.

Same in this case. The regular season was not simply puck luck but an indication of, as Jesse broke down, the Pens intentionally attacking that system and building to attack that system.

So it brings the question. What can Trotz do to adjust to the Pens given the build of that team, especially missing one of their most important cogs? Is there an adjustment even possible? Full blown trap maybe?

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
God, I wish I got a tongue bath every time I did my job too. :laugh:

"I have just submitted my grading for the semester, acknowledge me publicly and tell me how great I am because I did a thing I get paid to do!"

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
This guys story and game just keep getting better. How can you take him out of the lineup. Erod was playing well but Freddy seems more vocal and brings so much more to the team.

I also think Freddy is one of the hungriest players on this team. He went from the cusp of greatness to the AHL in the 3 years. He is getting his chance back at the dance.

You can't underestimate a guys hunger to win. And not every player has that.

ERod was playing "well" for ERod, but it isn't really a close call between the 2 IIBH. Freddy G is playing so well right now on Carter's line and is showing a very high level play making ability.

Freddy's Last 6 games:
6gp, 1g, 5a, 6pts, +8

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
I'd like to see what Sully does before crowning him the king of the reformed re: adjustments. Not having awful players on the blueline helps a whole lot. Then again, when we did have awful players, Sully not only consistently dressed them, but played them, together, and in important situations despite them constantly decimating us whenever they hopped over the boards.
This leads back to my thinking that JR and Sullivan had differing opinions on the roster, with Sullivan playing the players that JR brought in to prove a point. JR trying to do something at the beginning of the year and having Sullivan disagree with management taking his side is probably what caused JR to up and quit.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Sullivan can absolutely still screw this team over. Zucker struggling on a line with a severely hobbled Geno would kill that line. Refusing to break up the ZAR-TB-Tanev line to get a better mix in the top-9, or if they get caved in again like they did against the Habs. Not getting Barzal's line under control despite the last change. Etc

Not exactly Sully related but I'm real worried about Geno. He's a guy who will want to play whether his leg is dangling and unusable or not, but he could really be a hindrance if he's in bad shape. Wondering how bad the situation with the goalies' injuries is too. That's a fun wrinkle I didn't even think about; both goalies dealing with nagging injury.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
This leads back to my thinking that JR and Sullivan had differing opinions on the roster, with Sullivan playing the players that JR brought in to prove a point. JR trying to do something at the beginning of the year and having Sullivan disagree with management taking his side is probably what caused JR to up and quit.
I think it was plain as day they didn't really see eye to eye on the personnel JR was bringing in. Going back to Reaves years ago.

But if Sullivan was torpedoing the team by playing JR's awful acquisitions, namely JJ, to prove a point, well... :laugh:

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
I'm more worried about Jarry and DeSmith's health at the moment. I think we could get by for a bit with a less than 100% Malkin with the depth we've got up front. But the Pens don't play good enough team defense to protect our goalies if they aren't quite right.

Reactions: Andy99

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
The thing about Geno's injury is that a few more days off isn't gonna make a difference, and him playing will probably only make the injury worse. We've gotta be real careful with his minutes, imo. He's still an asset because of his shot and passing on the PP, and if he can manage to exist without being a detriment at ES, that's all you can hope for.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
Sullivan can absolutely still screw this team over. Zucker struggling on a line with a severely hobbled Geno would kill that line. Refusing to break up the ZAR-TB-Tanev line to get a better mix in the top-9, or if they get caved in again like they did against the Habs. Not getting Barzal's line under control despite the last change. Etc

Not exactly Sully related but I'm real worried about Geno. He's a guy who will want to play whether his leg is dangling and unusable or not, but he could really be a hindrance if he's in bad shape. Wondering how bad the situation with the goalies' injuries is too. That's a fun wrinkle I didn't even think about; both goalies dealing with nagging injury.

ZAR-TB-Tanev has never been scored on and have scored 6 goals at 5v5. They've done this while starting in the DZone 57 times, NZone 35x, and OZ 15 times. I employ you to be more comfortable with this line and their results ;) and not break it up. It is a game changing line to deploy against L1s and every forward has enough defensive ability to neutralize players well above their individual skill levels. They allow Crosby's and Malkin's line to not start shifts in D zone.

We all share concern on Zucker and Malkin's effectiveness together.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
God, I wish I got a tongue bath every time I did my job too. :laugh:

"I have just submitted my grading for the semester, acknowledge me publicly and tell me how great I am because I did a thing I get paid to do!"

Then go get a very difficult job with a bunch of media attention where people blow up whenever you're perceived to have done something wrong, and you'll get the kudos that comes with it too :naughty:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad