Series Talk: Pens (1) vs. Isles (4) - 1st round

Status
Not open for further replies.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Game intensity is different but 71's acceleration here is encouraging.

Acceleration wasn't so much the concern before. It's been his first step and starting and stopping. Once he starts to get a head of speed, he's seemed and still seems fine. The skating before he gets there . . . not so much.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I gotta say, I’m much more excited about this team than I was last year or even in the first half of the season.

Core knows their time is running out. Coach made some quality adjustments this year. The defense is way more mobile. And the forward depth is as good as you can expect.

Bracing for the heartbreaking outcome of the team playing well but it not being good enough anymore.

sovietsanta87

Jan 3, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
I'm sorry by Greg Wyshneifjifjadski at ESPN has already stated:

Who are the top contenders for the Stanley Cup this season?

There's a clear top five for the Stanley Cup, both in public perception and in wagering odds: the Avalanche, Golden Knights, Maple Leafs, Lightning and Hurricanes.

The Maple Leafs? Really?

Reactions: KIRK

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I'm sorry by Greg Wyshneifjifjadski at ESPN has already stated:

Who are the top contenders for the Stanley Cup this season?

There's a clear top five for the Stanley Cup, both in public perception and in wagering odds: the Avalanche, Golden Knights, Maple Leafs, Lightning and Hurricanes.

The Maple Leafs? Really?
Maple leafs should come out of the north. I think it has more to do with the division they come out of than anything else. I also don't see the Canes in the same realm as Vegas, Colorado or TB despite their record.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I see Boston and Pittsburgh as right below Vegas, the Avs and Lightning. One of these five will hoist the cup. Hopefully it's us.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
The team that had a great year but not sure about how they do in the playoffs is Florida. They beat the snot out of TB and they bring some real physical play to the mix. This is the better playoff matchups in quite awhile. Pens or any team will have a tough road to go to win the cup.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I see Boston and Pittsburgh as right below Vegas, the Avs and Lightning. One of these five will hoist the cup. Hopefully it's us.

Pens have more questions at goalie than those teams...I can’t put them in the top five because of that, along with Sully...he needs to show me he’s back to being a good tactician...if those go right and we don’t sustain significant injuries then we have a good chance

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Pens have more questions at goalie than those teams...I can’t put them in the top five because of that, along with Sully...he needs to show me he’s back to being a good tactician...if those go right and we don’t sustain significant injuries then we have a good chance
Optimism from Andy, certainly rare but it's good to have even a modicum of optimism for the Pens this time of year.

Reactions: Andy99

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Acceleration wasn't so much the concern before. It's been his first step and starting and stopping. Once he starts to get a head of speed, he's seemed and still seems fine. The skating before he gets there . . . not so much.

... and that first step and revving up the old diesel does not describe the proces commonly described as ‘acceleration’? :)

Acceleration defines change in velocity. Not a gear change.

Reactions: Pittsburgh1776

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Optimism from Andy, certainly rare but it's good to have even a modicum of optimism for the Pens this time of year.

of course I didn’t tell you that I don’t think they do it...lol...even if they get out of the East, the points reranking for the top four will likely mean they have to play Colorado...

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
... and that first step and revving up the old diesel does not describe the proces commonly described as ‘acceleration’? :)

Acceleration defines change in velocity. Not a gear change.

Agreed. He looked best on his third rep, he was moving quickly. I have no idea how it will translate to the intensity of the playoffs but he looked better than the last game he played.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
of course I didn’t tell you that I don’t think they do it...lol...even if they get out of the East, the points reranking for the top four will likely mean they have to play Colorado...

Dunno about that. If Tampa come out of the South, or anyone other than Toronto comes out of the North, we wouldn't play Colorado (or Vegas) in the semis. That's, what, 50-50?

I think the realistic ideal, if we get that far, is for Colorado/Vegas, Toronto, us, and Tampa to come out of their divisions, at which point we get Toronto - not easy, but about as easy as you can ask for in the playoffs - and we let the heavyweight wear each other out before a final. A scenario where it'd be Colorado/Vegas, Us, Tampa, and some other Canadian team would be nearly as much fun as just hitting up Colorado/Vegas to begin with.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Dunno about that. If Tampa come out of the South, or anyone other than Toronto comes out of the North, we wouldn't play Colorado (or Vegas) in the semis. That's, what, 50-50?

I think the realistic ideal, if we get that far, is for Colorado/Vegas, Toronto, us, and Tampa to come out of their divisions, at which point we get Toronto - not easy, but about as easy as you can ask for in the playoffs - and we let the heavyweight wear each other out before a final. A scenario where it'd be Colorado/Vegas, Us, Tampa, and some other Canadian team would be nearly as much fun as just hitting up Colorado/Vegas to begin with.

if it’s Toronto and Carolina that come out, we’d play Colorado

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad