Series Talk: Pens (1) vs. Isles (4) - 1st round

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Really have a feeling Kap is the x-factor this series. If he's too much for the Islanders to handle, we win.

Well...

The thing with the isles is... ok this is my take I didnt read it anywhere...
That is the isles will play their same exact game no matter who is on the ice.... I mean yeah there will be matchups trotz wants/doesnt want same with Sully, but they will play the clog it up game and I don't think they favor anyone over anyone... ie gang up on sid leave someone open... they really play their system tight.

The pens play their game too, which is push the pace and speed go go go.... but isles will be attempting to stick the spoke of the penguins on that front.

But as for Kapnn... yeah... whoever can bust through the slog and figure out slick and sly ways to get open and produce points .... that's the x-factor....

(I think Carter/McCann/Blue are the x-factor)
(and not getting upset when/if the isles shutdown the pace and the pens disrupt the entire flow of the team and they look like lost on the ice)

Reactions: spcastlemagic

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
It always makes me laugh when people care about jerseys so much. Eventually there will be ads on jerseys and I still won't care. It just won't bother me. There are some I love but the worst I can ever get on a jersey is "Meh - not my favorite." But once the game is on, I just don't care.

I do absolutely love our 91 jerseys we currently wear home/away. Beautiful. But even our worst jersey I'm like "Meh.. doesn't affect how the game is played."
Come on cole! you of all people know it's not what you do, it's how you look doing it.:yo:

Reactions: LOGiK and ColePens

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I just see many make the thread about themselves instead of the intended subject. And it if is a human thing to do (to make it about yourselves) it wasn't always like this. In fact I don't think it was like this up until recently. I take a team-centric approach because it about the team, not really about me/us. We're talking about jersey colors and what time the game starts, but at least it's about the team.

Do you or anyone really think we care about what you do in your personal lives? Because I can tell you that 99.9% of us don't. That's not to say that now and then people won't throw out an occasional tid bit about themselves (I have). But when the majority of people talk about their plans on those days or tell us what their doing at game time, their sleep habits, work schedules etc, it' just makes me realize how tone deaf many here are. Not everyone is like that fortunately, but a lot are. I'm just surprised how unaware most are.

You really don't matter. That goes for all of us. It's about the team. Or at least predominately should be. That's why we're here. If you want to talk about yourselves make a forum or thread for that.

Ok... check out the bold...

I just deleted a huge write up because I don't want to get all Jungian in here...
There is an ot thread, but I bet people don't like it because they think it has less chance to be viewed by as many people.

PM me what posts your talking about.
I remember it always going on to an extent -- if it slogs down the thread the mods post a move along post or even themselves move it to the appropriate thread.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
P0.jpg

Good start, but needs more weird triangles.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
This post season will also (probably) mark the first time ever non playoff teams will be playing games simultaneously as the playoff teams play.

That's weird.

Any word on what the penguins have on the agenda today? Do they rest, practice, off ice workouts, scrimmage...?

What are the lines looking like for game 1? I haven't really been reading too many posts yesterday and don't know about tanev/mm/malkin and their injuries/placement....

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
This post season will also (probably) mark the first time ever non playoff teams will be playing games simultaneously as the playoff teams play.

That's weird.

Any word on what the penguins have on the agenda today? Do they rest, practice, off ice workouts, scrimmage...?

What are the lines looking like for game 1? I haven't really been reading too many posts yesterday and don't know about tanev/mm/malkin and their injuries/placement....

With Malkin in

GCR
Zucker-Malkin-Kapanen
McCann-Carter-Gaudreau
ZAR-Blueger-Tanev

Without, which was the last practice

GCR
McCann-Carter-Kapanen
Zucker-Gaudreau-Erod (I think?)
BART

Unsure whether Malkin will be back for the games. Wait and see I guess.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015

This guys story and game just keep getting better. How can you take him out of the lineup. Erod was playing well but Freddy seems more vocal and brings so much more to the team.

I also think Freddy is one of the hungriest players on this team. He went from the cusp of greatness to the AHL in the 3 years. He is getting his chance back at the dance.

You can't underestimate a guys hunger to win. And not every player has that.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
With Malkin in

GCR
Zucker-Malkin-Kapanen
McCann-Carter-Gaudreau
ZAR-Blueger-Tanev

Without, which was the last practice

GCR
McCann-Carter-Kapanen
Zucker-Gaudreau-Erod (I think?)
BART

Unsure whether Malkin will be back for the games. Wait and see I guess.

Malkin Practiced, just didn't scrimmage. I have no doubt he will be back for game one.

Reactions: Khelandros

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Malkin Practiced, just didn't scrimmage. I have no doubt he will be back for game one.

For me it's not just whether Malkin can be back for game one, it's whether they want him to. It wouldn't be the first time they've held him out the first game or two of a series to try and get him a little healthier if memory serves. For him to miss any scrimmages at this point opens up a ton of questions for me.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
For me it's not just whether Malkin can be back for game one, it's whether they want him to. It wouldn't be the first time they've held him out the first game or two of a series to try and get him a little healthier if memory serves. For him to miss any scrimmages at this point opens up a ton of questions for me.

I guess. I view it as sully giving his injuries guys extra rest. The scrimmage is the least important and most susceptible to injury part of practice.

I think Sully is in the hotseat this year. He has to make it at least out of round one. If Malkin is healthy he isnt sitting on the bench.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
So they brought him back to get some games before playoffs.
Tweaked the knee.
Now will possibly sit to get more rest.

What a mess... no amount of him sitting will heal him up... it'll just re-tweak in another game or two.

I don't have any issues with the lines with him in or out really.

Of course I want Malkin in there, but not if he's with a tweaked up knee. I just don't see the benefit to that as it will hurt most on the penguins defense/back-check. That is also where I expect the Isles to get the most of their chances by breaking up plays and forcing a quick turn around catching penguins players up ice.

So.... yeah... not sure I want geno in there.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
So they brought him back to get some games before playoffs.
Tweaked the knee.
Now will possibly sit to get more rest.

What a mess... no amount of him sitting will heal him up... it'll just re-tweak in another game or two.

I don't have any issues with the lines with him in or out really.

Of course I want Malkin in there, but not if he's with a tweaked up knee. I just don't see the benefit to that as it will hurt most on the penguins defense/back-check. That is also where I expect the Isles to get the most of their chances by breaking up plays and forcing a quick turn around catching penguins players up ice.

So.... yeah... not sure I want geno in there.

ya but if your smart you can insulate Geno with speed to remedy that.

McCann - Geno - Kap
Tanev - Geno - Kap

Give him fast wingers too ease some responsibility. With McCann, he could take over some of the center duties. Let Geno focus on being effective offensively as he gets up to speed.

Carters and TB lines can take more minutes and all the dzone draws.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
This guys story and game just keep getting better. How can you take him out of the lineup. Erod was playing well but Freddy seems more vocal and brings so much more to the team.

I also think Freddy is one of the hungriest players on this team. He went from the cusp of greatness to the AHL in the 3 years. He is getting his chance back at the dance.

You can't underestimate a guys hunger to win. And not every player has that.

If we make a run and he plays well I’d sign him to a fully 1-way deal for 2 years. Up to the buriable amount. Guy has earned it.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
ya but if your smart you can insulate Geno with speed to remedy that.

McCann - Geno - Kap
Tanev - Geno - Kap

Give him fast wingers too ease some responsibility. With McCann, he could take over some of the center duties. Let Geno focus on being effective offensively as he gets up to speed.

Carters and TB lines can take more minutes and all the dzone draws.

True.
So that would then discount my take from the outside and put the decision (which it obviously is anyway) on sully determining whether or not the wingers can handle that on top of their regular game.

If it works I'm for it, but I can already see geno still being taken advantage of... if he's smart on the line changes etc. it can be avoided/minimized.

I hardly doubt this is the first time geno had to work around an injury, but the leg is different than not having a slap shot /ubi kinda deal...

If they players can handle the burden, then work it. I guess IF it doesnt work ... then... what will sully do to remedy it.

Reactions: Darren McCord
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad