Series Talk: Pens (1) vs. Isles (4) - 1st round

Status
Not open for further replies.

DatGuy

Sep 25, 2015
I’m excited for Trotz to show why he is one of the greatest coaches ever.

Sully is already over thinking things. I’m kinda worried, this feels just like last year. Pens tried to force a lineup rather then going with what worked. This is playoff hockey now, not game 56 vs the sabres

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I’m excited for Trotz to show why he is one of the greatest coaches ever.

Sully is already over thinking things. I’m kinda worried, this feels just like last year. Pens tried to force a lineup rather then going with what worked. This is playoff hockey now, not game 56 vs the sabres

Trotz is going to get played by the Penguins.

Nashville-Barry-Trotz.png

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
if it’s Toronto and Carolina that come out, we’d play Colorado
Not true! We hold the tiebreaker against the Leafs. They would be the four seed and play the top seed in the semis. We would be no worse than the three seed in the Semis. This scenario could not have fallen any better for us. Doesn't guarantee anything, but IF TOR wins the north division in the PO's, We would play ONE of Tampa, Veg or COL at most and that wouldn't come until the Finals..

Last edited:
Reactions: AuroraBorealis

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
of course I didn’t tell you that I don’t think they do it...lol...even if they get out of the East, the points reranking for the top four will likely mean they have to play Colorado...
They can't. The fact that TOR lost in regulation garners us yet another tie breaker, but instead of the 2hd tie breaker as in the case of Washington, we win the third tie breaker (total wins). Boy did we maximize those 77 points. :thumbu:

Reactions: Andy99

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Well yes, that was included in my post (albeit implied) :P But that's not really a certainty.
As I explained above that cannot happen. IF we make the semis, we can't finish behind any team coming out of the north. We are AT worst a three seed. If EDM somehow comes out of the north or any team beyond TOR, that could louse things up. We could play TB in the semis then play COL or VEG in the finals. But if TOR comes out that can't happen.

Reactions: Peat

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
I'm excited to see Sid try hard every shift again. Hasn't been much of it this year, but I trust it's him saving himself for when it matters.

I hope to see Sid - Guentzel - Rust scoring a ludicrous amount this series.

Reactions: wgknestrick

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
So..third round the Penguins can play let's say the Wild or something?
Yes, we can get anyone remaining if the seeding is right.

Btw guys, I see a lot of people putting Toronto ahead of us in Round 3 seeding-wise. That no longer applies after Toronto lost to the Jets yesterday.

We have identical RW and ROW. We win on "total wins", 37 to 35. So they would get Colorado, not us.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Yes, we can get anyone remaining if the seeding is right.

Btw guys, I see a lot of people putting Toronto ahead of us in Round 3 seeding-wise. That no longer applies after Toronto lost to the Jets yesterday.

We have identical RW and ROW. We win on "total wins", 37 to 35. So they would get Colorado, not us.
To me it looks impossible for the Penguins to face VGK/COL until the Final.

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
To me it looks impossible for the Penguins to face VGK/COL until the Final.
Correct.

If you go to the 'league standings' tab on NHL.com, it automatically applies tiebreakers.

VGL/COL are the top seed if one of them advances to the semifinals. CAR/FLA would be the #2 seed if one of them reaches the semis.

Then if the Pens advance, they'd be no worse than third.

If all of the top seeds in each division advance, the semis would be Colorado vs Toronto and Penguins vs Carolina.

If the defending champion Lightning advance instead, the Pens would play Toronto and TBL would play the Avs.

The Pens really are in prime position.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad