Confirmed with Link: Penguins trade Scott Wilson + 2018 3rd rd. pick for Riley Sheahan + 2018 5th rd. pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
It's entirely understandable to be wary of Sheahan based on his last calendar year of hockey. I'm not exactly stoked about spending assets to land that guy either. But we gave up pretty much nothing. A third rounder has a little bit of value, but it's not like we gave up a first or something. Wilson was one of a myriad of like-caliber guys we have. He wasn't even playing and we might be able to turn a non-roster player into a solid 3C. Sure, it's gonna take a pretty big rebound on Sheahan's part to turn his game around, but we have insane winger depth and he'll get the benefit of playing very sheltered minutes behind our 1A and 1B lines. It's not a guarantee Sheahan figures it out, but if he busts, what do we lose? Scott Wilson and a third rounder for a chance to fix our 3C issue is a gamble I'll take every day of the week, even if I'm not exactly stoked about Sheahan.

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
For the people saying Wilson will play top9 if there is an injury, think again. Sprong will be coming up.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
This was perfect timing by JR.

Its not like Rowney is a big loss or anything, but i don't know who would of played center if they didn't acquire Sheahan.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
It's entirely understandable to be wary of Sheahan based on his last calendar year of hockey. I'm not exactly stoked about spending assets to land that guy either. But we gave up pretty much nothing. A third rounder has a little bit of value, but it's not like we gave up a first or something. Wilson was one of a myriad of like-caliber guys we have. He wasn't even playing and we might be able to turn a non-roster player into a solid 3C. Sure, it's gonna take a pretty big rebound on Sheahan's part to turn his game around, but we have insane winger depth and he'll get the benefit of playing very sheltered minutes behind our 1A and 1B lines. It's not a guarantee Sheahan figures it out, but if he busts, what do we lose? Scott Wilson and a third rounder for a chance to fix our 3C issue is a gamble I'll take every day of the week, even if I'm not exactly stoked about Sheahan.

We didn't give up a third. Same mistake as with the Reave's trade.

The Pens swapped a third for a fifth. That means likely a low third for a high fifth, so dropping a few spots, and going from a 30 percent chance of a pick becoming a player to a 10 percent chance.

People always seem to miss the lower round pick coming back.

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
For the people saying Wilson will play top9 if there is an injury, think again. Sprong will be coming up.

It would have been dependent on which side, Wilson is a LW'er, Sprong is a RW'er that has been mostly playing RW. We'd like to hope/think Sprong would get called up, but they could also surprise us and just play Archibald too, it wouldn't shock me with this team.

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
It would have been dependent on which side, Wilson is a LW'er, Sprong is a RW'er that has been mostly playing RW. We'd like to hope/think Sprong would get called up, but they could also surprise us and just play Archibald too, it wouldn't shock me with this team.
Assuming that the lineup has Rust playing RW, Rust can be changed to LW for Sprong to come up. If Rust is already playing LW, One of Sheary/Guentzel is on there off-wing, so move Sheary/Guentzel to LW to call Sprong up.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
We didn't give up a third. Same mistake as with the Reave's trade.

The Pens swapped a third for a fifth. That means likely a low third for a high fifth, so dropping a few spots, and going from a 30 percent chance of a pick becoming a player to a 10 percent chance.

People always seem to miss the lower round pick coming back.

Semantics. The fifth is not even worth mentioning. :laugh: It's a mint on the way out of the restaurant.

Not that the third is a high value asset, but it could've been a throw-in as part of a package to tip the scales to land a more significant player down the road or to pick up an insurance guy at the deadline. A fifth is what you get back in return for dumping a player like Lovejoy. It amounts to "hey, we got something I guess."

This trade doesn't even really contain any pieces worth 10 pages of discussion, to be honest. Wilson was a non-entity in this organization with the logjam at forward, the picks are varying degrees of "meh, whatever", and Sheahan is a low-risk guy who could rebound (but it'd have to be a Hell of a rebound) and turn out to be a solid 3C for us--or 4C if we land a better 3C option down the road.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I love how everyone keeps stating the Pens are great at reclamation projections, look at Schultz! How's Niemi working out so far as one of these low risk, high reward guys? At least Schultz put up good numbers every season before coming to Pittsburgh. Sheahan has just been a joke since April 2016.

It's almost as if we're the team that was in a desperate cap situation so we had to sweeten the pot with a third.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I love how everyone keeps stating the Pens are great at reclamation projections, look at Schultz! How's Niemi working out so far as one of these low risk, high reward guys? At least Schultz put up good numbers every season before coming to Pittsburgh. Sheahan has just been a joke since April 2016.

It's almost as if we're the team that was in a desperate cap situation so we had to sweeten the pot with a third.

Schultz was so bad that he was almost done as an NHLer after his time in Edmonton. His turnaround from that Schultz to the one we've seen for the past year or so is pretty astonishing, to be fair.

Then there's Kessel, who was run out of Toronto and declared uncoachable and a total pox in the lockerroom. Daley, who was thought of as so devoid of value that we got him for Rob f***ing Scuderi. :laugh: That one still blows my mind. Hagelin was atrocious in Anaheim before being a huge part of this team's resurgence and identity with regard to speed. Niskanen was a throw-in when we traded for Neal and turned his game around to the point of being a top-pairing, ~$6M/yr blueliner.

So yeah, Niemi was a gamble that didn't pay off. The dude is unbearably bad. But let's not pretend the Penguins haven't had great success with reclamation projects recently.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
They got a 25 year old 3rd line center for very little.

That's why its great.

Agreed, a late 3rd and a very early 5th is only losing about 35 spots. Wilson was not playing and with Sprong on his way soon he was going to be moved down even further on the depth chart. Rowney gets bumped out and Sheehan is in. This makes us a better team with losing nothing from our current starting roster.

You can't compare this to a Niemi who is 34. This is much more like the Schultz deal because you are getting a 25 year old player who was an average 3rd line center under a different coach for 2 1/2 seasons. At his age there is no reason that he could not get back to that level. Look how bad our players looked before Sullivan. The way Crosby was playing at that time I thought he was done as an elite player but it was the coach.

At 25 years old I think this is a good gamble. A roster player had to be going out to make the deal so Wilson was expandable to the Pens. We have several wingers that can play as good or better not in the lineup at this time (Sprong and Archibald).

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
You can't compare this to a Niemi who is 34. This is much more like the Schultz deal because you are getting a 25 year old player who was an average 3rd line center under a different coach for 2 1/2 seasons. At his age there is no reason that he could not get back to that level. Look how bad our players looked before Sullivan. The way Crosby was playing at that time I thought he was done as an elite player but it was the coach.

At 25 years old I think this is a good gamble. A roster player had to be going out to make the deal so Wilson was expandable to the Pens. We have several wingers that can play as good or better not in the lineup at this time (Sprong and Archibald).

You all keep saying Sheahan is a 3C but he's been playing on Detroit's 4th line. Playing someone on a particular line doesn't necessarily mean they are that type of player. Look at Dumoulin, he played top pairing minutes in the playoffs last season, but that guy is anything but a top 2 dman.

To me, we acquired another 4C.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

You literally just make shit up...

Schultz wasn't putting up good numbers the season they traded for him. He had a case for being possibly the worst blueliner in the league at the time.

RS, has had ONE bad season out of four. Until last year, he was a .42 ppg player.

I have no idea how this will turn out, but people who keep trying to say the Schultz situation was somehow different sound like total dumbasses.

Both players had extremely desirable tools, were productive in this league, but had an atrocious year that killed their value and JR bought low.

It's exactly the same situation, but we have to see the end result with RS.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I hope they really play him on the third line with good players from the start so we can get a good look at him and see if he can hack it.

I really think Sully should split Phil and Geno, so I'd like to see
Jake-Sid-Horny
Rust/Hags-Geno-Sprong
Sheary/Hags - Sheahan-Kessel

If he plays with Sheary and Phil, can keep up, and get them the puck, then the signing was a good one

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
You literally just make **** up...

Schultz wasn't putting up good numbers the season they traded for him. He had a case for being possibly the worst blueliner in the league at the time.

RS, has had ONE bad season out of four. Until last year, he was a .42 ppg player.

I have no idea how this will turn out, but people who keep trying to say the Schultz situation was somehow different sound like total dumbasses.

Both players had extremely desirable tools, were productive in this league, but had an atrocious year that killed their value and JR bought low.

Schultz put up 31 points in his last full season in edmonton. If Sheahan comes close to that production this season, fans around here will throw him a friggin parade. He was just 4 points shy of Sheahan's career best in that terrible season for him

But yea, lets act like Schultz was a week away from retiring and Jimmy rode in on his white horse to save him.

I don't care about losing Wilson, I just don't think this trade made our team better.

I just think we could have landed an actual good NHL player by trading our 1st, 3rd and Wilson instead of 2 overpaid idiots in Reaves and Sheahan.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
,You guys will probably turn Sheahan into a 20 goal scorer somehow. Good luck in Pittsburgh. You're getting a player who is obviously snake bitten, and has zero confidence right now, but if he ever finds his game, I think you'll like him as a 3C.

I think this is a good deal for both teams. Wings needed to make room for AA, and Sheahan probably wanted a change of scenery at this point. Now he gets to go compete for a Cup, so he should be rejuvenated.

Reactions: td_ice

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Schultz put up 31 points in his last full season in edmonton. If Sheahan comes close to that production this season, fans around here will throw him a friggin parade. He was just 4 points shy of Sheahan's career best in that terrible season for him

But yea, lets act like Schultz was a week away from retiring and Jimmy rode in on his white horse to save him.

I don't care about losing Wilson, I just don't think this trade made our team better.

I just think we could have landed an actual good NHL player by trading our 1st, 3rd and Wilson instead of 2 overpaid idiots in Reaves and Sheahan.
just to ask, do you think it's a good trade if he gets back to his 25-30 point form? Do you not like him even at his upside? Or are you simply dismissing the possibility that he can get back there?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Reaves really has been pretty bad, so I'll agree there, but I don't think you can lump Reaves and Sheahan together. We didn't need Reaves, but we need a 3C and JR and Sully think Sheahan might be the guy. It's one thing to go out and get Reaves, a player that's superfluous by definition. It's another entirely to take a low-risk shot at a guy who could rebound and become a solid 3C for us--a position we're pretty desperately lacking at the moment. And to have spent pretty insignificant assets in Wilson and a 3rd to do so, I don't understand people's gripe with this.

To be clear, I'm not exactly thrilled Sheahan is the guy we targeted and acquired, but it is what it is.

-edit- Holy f*** man, this site just runs like complete shit since the changes. Like, damn-near unusable. Makes visiting/reading/posting not even worth the effort with how bad things are site-wise. Yikes, man.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

It's like goalies and skaters are completely different types of players. Boggles the mind, really.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
just to ask, do you think it's a good trade if he gets back to his 25-30 point form?

25 - 30 points? No, absolutely not. I expect our third line center to at least hit high 30's playing with the caliber wingers we have.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
It's like goalies and skaters are completely different types of players. Boggles the mind, really.
I'm just saying that you can't assume every player struggling will magically bounce back by a trade because Schultz did 3 years ago.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
You literally just make **** up...

Yeah, very similar profile to these deals. The big difference is that the main boards trolls who made twenty pages of posts about how JR got burned paying the middling pick for Schultz are very quiet this time around.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I'm just saying that you can't assume every player struggling will magically bounce back by a trade because Schultz did 3 years ago.
No one is saying that. We're saying Sheahan will be played in a much more favorable situation with better linemates and easier minutes behind Sid and Geno--which sort of makes one imagine that he'll be put in a better position to succeed and thus bounce back. Is it a guarantee? No. But the environment is better for the player so to imagine the possibility of a resurgence in his career is not as wholly unrealistic or foolish as you're making it out to be, as hard as you're trying.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

Schultz was on pace for 18 points his last season in Edm and was routinely playing between 20-24 minutes a night and getting #1 pp minutes. He had way more sugar minutes to score than RS ever did and he was an unmitigated disaster on skates and rightfully earned his Jultz moniker.

Story short, Schultz was a trash heap that a piss-drunk hobo vomited all over. And that's being kind to his play his last season in Edm.

You want to whine about the trade, it's your thing it seems, so go ahead. However, don't make shit up like RS has never been productive in this league and that Schultz was anything but a completely undesirable commodity that most teams didn't want to even sniff around.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I am absolutely shocked that the same people who *****ed and moaned all summer about how bad of an offseason JR had because he didn't add a 3C are the ones *****ing and moaning about the Penguins adding Sheahan right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad