Confirmed with Link: Penguins trade Scott Wilson + 2018 3rd rd. pick for Riley Sheahan + 2018 5th rd. pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
You are aware that Kuhnhackl was a regular in 15/16 right?
I am, with Fehr and Cully. And back then we were figuring out what he was all about. And two years later he is a nothing player.

Read from TIOPS (I know) that Detroit wanted Kuhn in the deal but we didn't.. because.. drum roll.. his PK prowess!!!
I'm going to barf. Reaves and Kuhn and 2/3 of your 4th line will NOT win a Cup. Period.

Also about Wilson not being a regular member of the top 6/top 9... uhm that's a GREAT thing! Sheary, Rust, Guentzel ALL panning out is FANTASTIC! So Wilson is a step behind? Fine by me, more awesome depth. But let's trade him instead of Kuhn who can only block shots. Because he can't get to the points fast enough.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I am, with Fehr and Cully. And back then we were figuring out what he was all about. And two years later he is a nothing player.

Read from TIOPS (I know) that Detroit wanted Kuhn in the deal but we didn't.. because.. drum roll.. his PK prowess!!!
I'm going to barf. Reaves and Kuhn and 2/3 of your 4th line will NOT win a Cup. Period.

Also about Wilson not being a regular member of the top 6/top 9... uhm that's a GREAT thing! Sheary, Rust, Guentzel ALL panning out is FANTASTIC! So Wilson is a step behind? Fine by me, more awesome depth. But let's trade him instead of Kuhn who can only block shots. Because he can't get to the points fast enough.
You know Kuhn actually produces just as much as Wilson in the NHL, right?

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I don't know why people get so hung up about Reaves. For 1.1m, he brings a dimension to the roster no one else does. He doesn't make nearly enough to get me as bent out of shape as some people get.

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
You know Kuhn actually produces just as much as Wilson in the NHL, right?
Sometimes stats don't say it all. But going back to Wilkes Barre, he was by far the better player. I'll take that larger sample over the current smaller one. (like we are hoping with Sheahan) I mean, what is Kuhn better at than Wilson?? Being able to get in the way of shots? Sure but the rebound just kicks on over to some other player on the opposing team. Wilson is a better fit, has more upside, better skater, more physical.

About Reaves.. he's made an impact in exactly one game this year. Like.. he doesn't do anything. Is he a good skater for a guy his size? Sure, maybe? But like, he's still the slowest guy out there.. a forechecking menace? Good cycler? No. We all know why he's here.. but what's the use when nobody wants to fight him? We play Tampa - who is ALL skill - and he's simply lost out there. You play him against division rivals/heavy teams. 55-60 games? Sure. He's a regular and it's unbelievable.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Well.... we get some size and swap a winger off the roster for a C who should at least be an upgrade on what we have.

It'll be a good trade if we see Sheahan of two years ago. What he has been lately, it will be pure stop gap at somewhat higher cost than I would have liked.

Anyway - if we get Sheahan back on track its a big win, and it is not like we've never done similar.

I'm in wait and see mode.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I would have liked the deal better if it was just Wilson for Sheahan. Pens seem to do okay with 3rd round picks, so I'm not a fan of giving one up (even if they get a 5th in return).

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
Yeah, I like our 3rd round picks (Letang, Jake, Murray) I'll give Riley time, coming from a shitty team to the champs and hope he can contribute to another run.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Sheahan was also a regular net front on the PP in DET. Probably sees PP2 action doing the same here.

1st unit: Sid, G, Horny, Phil, Tang or Schultz
2nd: Sheahan(FO taker/netfront), Jake, Sheary, maybe a Rust + Tang or Schultz and Sprong coming soon...

Last edited:

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Sheahan put up 24 (in 42 games), 36, and 25 points before having one bad year. Wilson has put up 26 once. How is he much better?

We have a hole in the line-up that we just potentially filled with a decent 4th line wing. We bought low like we did with Schultz to fill a hole on D. What were your thoughts on trading for him?

The Schultz comparison is silly because Justin had high upside, it was at the deadline, Edmonton ate cap, and they only paid a 3rd.

I love taking chances on high upside guys. I get we had a need at center, but I don't think Sheahan has all that much upside and his style of play doesn't really fit the Pens.

I heard all summer that Bones wasn't a good skater and didn't fit the Pens. So we get a worse player that skates about the same and I'm supposed to be happy with it?

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I'm just happy they have a little more something down the middle. They needed it with the way things were going. The shine on McKegg wore off pretty quickly but he can still be useful here as depth. Rowney is probably better as a winger/extra C.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Here's the thing. I'm all about staying patient. I think it is the right thing to do. I understand RS prior to the season but it makes no sense right now. If people want to ***** about JR, now is the time. And no - you don't get bonus points for being first to ***** about JR. You should be patient and take in everything prior to making a case, so JR stillllll has time to redeem himself, but he's now starting to enter questionable moves. Here is why:

- Detroit HAD to move Riley due to their cap situation. Why are you giving them good value for a player who has **** for value after his last year +. He should have no value at this point. He's barely a 4C looking at his game. Why are you giving them value?

- Wilson plays 2nd line, 3rd line, 4th line and has proved he can put up points in the NHL. Why are you moving him? He's exactly what makes this team tick. He's the perfect guy up and down the line up.

- What are you doing with identity? Speed/skill/tenacity. Reaves and Riley Sheahan do not match that identity.

- Before the season we didn't know if we have a 3C or a 4C. We found we have a bandaid in McKegg who can play 3C until we find the right player. But realistically we want him at 4C. Rowney is fine at 4C even though it ain't pretty. We have cap space. It was good. Why do we need to make this move now? Now we have Rowney, McKegg, and Sheahan as 4Cs. Yay. What does that do for our 3C other than kill our cap space situation?

So now we hope this reclamation project works. Okay... but does he really fit our system like Schultz did when he came in? He doesn't. Why are we doing this again? I'll be patient and wait to see how this plays out, but on paper this looks ****ing stupid.

Why don't I get bonus points for being right?

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
indeed. turning a guy eating nachos into an NHL player. I like it.

I'm going to assume I missed a massive showdown in this thread but
giphy.gif

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Why don't I get bonus points for being right?

I mean, I'm not as high on the acquisition as I would have been if it occurred during the summer prior to McKegg, and prior to him struggling out of the gate and then Detroit being absolutely forced to move him, but how exactly are you "right" about a move where the player hasn't even played a single game for the Pens yet?

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I don't know why people get so hung up about Reaves. For 1.1m, he brings a dimension to the roster no one else does. He doesn't make nearly enough to get me as bent out of shape as some people get.

Because he sucks and we have cheaper players the bring more to the table that fits Penguins hockey and 500K less.
Add in overpriced 4C in Sheahan and JR has made some expensive moves for worse players.

Not the end of the world, but fair game for criticism.

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon
I think this trade is meh and that Sheahan will end up as an average 4th line center.

I really hope he's going to make me eat crow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad