Confirmed with Link: Penguins trade Scott Wilson + 2018 3rd rd. pick for Riley Sheahan + 2018 5th rd. pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
In a vacuum, this isn't a horrible trade by any means. I just don't know wtf management has been doing this off season/this season. It's just been one questionable decision after another.

The Reaves trade, signing Niemi, overpaying our RFAs, not acquiring a legitimate third line center and now this. Again, none of these trades are terrible, but it's just worrisome. I really hope this has nothing to
do with Bottterill leaving.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I am absolutely shocked that the same people who *****ed and moaned all summer about how bad of an offseason JR had because he didn't add a 3C are the ones *****ing and moaning about the Penguins adding Sheahan right now.
Because he isn't a third line center and hasn't produced like one in 2.5 years. He's played like a 4C far more than legitimate 3C.

Stop assuming he's a third line center simply because that's where the Pens will play him.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Because he isn't a third line center and hasn't produced like one in 2.5 years. He's played like a 4C far more than legitimate 3C.

Stop assuming he's a third line center simply because that's where the Pens will play him.
just as soon as you stop assuming he can't do it here because he didn't do as well on a garbage team as we want him to do here.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008

Factors are involved and change things, man. You can't just stare at a statline and ignore what went into it, and why people are hopeful that it might change here on this team.

I don't think anyone anticipates Sheahan to be Jordan "Best 3C in the League" Staal, but to be hopeful that a change of scenery, better linemates and sheltered minutes behind what amount to two 1st lines will do him good is just that--people being hopeful. We get it, you think he's Scuderi in the form of a center. You're unhappy with the deal and are pissed we didn't save such valuable assets as Scott Wilson and what is likely to be a late 3rd rounder on a stud. :laugh:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
What is Sheahan's shooting percentage? Sub-5% or something like that?

Yeah... I'm sure that's a realistic bet to stay at that level...

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I am absolutely shocked that the same people who *****ed and moaned all summer about how bad of an offseason JR had because he didn't add a 3C are the ones *****ing and moaning about the Penguins adding Sheahan right now.

I don't believe that you are shocked at all.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't believe that you are shocked at all.

thatsthejoke.jpg

With a normalized shooting% last year, Sheahan would have had something like 12 goals and 23 points. That's a lot more in line with what he has done over his career than what he actually did last year. If he doesn't get hurt here, I think he'd be a safe bet for 10 goals and 25 points for the rest of the season, with the possibility of approaching 15 goals and 30+ points.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
I find it curious that people complain about anything after 2 straight cups. The only thing I have been yapping about is SPRONG should have already SPRUNG...... the kid spits hot fire!

Roksta

Jul 27, 2011
Typical Pens thread where everyone moans after every trade and roster decisions. Yet the Pens have won the last 2 cups, could you at least have faith and wait to see how it pans out?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'd definitely put Sheary with Sheahan, and if Sullivan is going to stick with Hornqvist on Crosby's line like he did yesterday, I'd also vote for Rust being on the 3rd line with Sheahan.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
?? Pixies likes this trade, Pens x is one person and I'm not a fan of the player or the cap space being used but am pleased that we have some center depth.

ColePens is the one hating on this trade the most and he was co captain of the "be patient JR walks on water" team this summer.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
We didn't give up a third. Same mistake as with the Reave's trade.

The Pens swapped a third for a fifth. That means likely a low third for a high fifth, so dropping a few spots, and going from a 30 percent chance of a pick becoming a player to a 10 percent chance.

People always seem to miss the lower round pick coming back.

And some act like dropping back isn't meaningful.

I just find it a bit weird that Detroit was the desperate team yet we had to trade the higher pick. There may have been more teams JR was competing against so not a big deal, just not insignificant.

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
I like the part where we improved our center depth, but I think it was a mistake trading Wilson instead of Kuhn. Wilson has much more untapped potential than he has shown in his tenure here imo.

Last edited:

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
I think people are overrating Wilson. He was never more than a 4th liner at the NHL level. Not quite good enough offensively to be top 6, not quite good enough defensively to be a 3rd liner staple. Plus, he was often a healthy scratch for a 6 minute a night goon.

I don't know much about Sheahan but if he can regain his 30 point form sounds like he can be an adequate 3c here.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

I just find it a bit weird that Detroit was the desperate team yet we had to trade the higher pick. There may have been more teams JR was competing against so not a big deal, just not insignificant.

In general, historically the chance that you get a NHL player drops from 30 to 20 percent. In this case the gap is perhaps even less as it likely is a late third and early fifth. But whatever.

Dropping in the range of 10 percent from little chance to slightly littler chance is the definition of fairly meaningless.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

The price of a NHL center is insane. That was what I was trying to make obvious all summer.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
?? Pixies likes this trade, Pens x is one person and I'm not a fan of the player or the cap space being used but am pleased that we have some center depth.

ColePens is the one hating on this trade the most and he was co captain of the "be patient JR walks on water" team this summer.

That's who I was referring too :laugh:

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011

I expect there was another suitor. GM's will go to great lengths to get centers, especially young players with size.

Wilson had no spot here since he didn't PK, and would probably have been supplanted next year by Di Pauli anyways, who I hope is being fed PK minutes in WBS this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad