McKenzie: Penguins exploring multiple options to get a depth center

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
It's rumoured galchenyuk could be headed there...Obviously cant be the top line guy here in montreal but I'd imagine he would be able to handle third line duties. We can't sell him as a third line centre tho...the kids a 30 goal scoring top six forward..the return would have to be fair....sprong has to be part of it

Nah, we're good.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Filppula +3rd for 1st in 2019.

There would need to be some serious retention there - like 50% for that to make much sense for Pittsburgh at this point in time. I'd probably do it, but then I'm not all that adverse to moving PITs 1st for a quality candidate - which Filppula is.

But my first choice would still be someone younger and someone who is either an RFA or someone who has more than 1 year left on their current deal. So while not adverse to that offer, I'd be looking elsewhere first to see what might be out there with PITs 1st+ on the table.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I see little reason why Pittsburgh would trade Maatta at this time. In the offseason it might have made sense with how Maatta was playing (with the idea of moving him and signing a replacement via FA - someone like B.Smith). But as that option has passed, and Maatta has managed to drastically improve his skating, there's really no reason to entertain a move of this kind. And I'm saying that as a huge fan of Reinhart.

Pittsburgh can win another cup with a less recognizable #3C. They're not likely going to have much of a chance without a Maatta caliber D playing top 4 minutes. I'm not sure that answer is Sheahan (with how McKegg has played so far, the desire for RS has dropped considerably among PIT fans), but there are enough options out there that with how McKegg has been playing, we have time to see what else develops.
Like I said, I agree Reinhart would be overdoing it but the idea is interesting should you use a bit of imagination. And in all honesty had this deal been proposed prior to the past seven games, I don't think the Sabres return the phone call. Maatta has had a hell of a start but he's far from a sure thing considering the past few seasons. His injury history is still a tad concerning.

The deal itself is beneficial financially for the Pens beyond this year as it gives them an emerging young forward who is likely one or two years from a significant contract. Maatta isn't completely replaceable per se--especially if he keeps his 82 point pace-- but the Pens won last season with him at 60% arguably. You're telling me you couldn't fill that hole with one of the guys Vegas is trying to rid themselves of?

Like I said, its fantasy but Maatta for S Reinhart, then prospect/pick for McNabb/Garrison/Sbisa/Merrill/G Reinhart? I think that looks good for a Pittsburgh POV.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Like I said, I agree Reinhart would be overdoing it but the idea is interesting should you use a bit of imagination. And in all honesty had this deal been proposed prior to the past seven games, I don't think the Sabres return the phone call. Maatta has had a hell of a start but he's far from a sure thing considering the past few seasons. His injury history is still a tad concerning.

The deal itself is beneficial financially for the Pens beyond this year as it gives them an emerging young forward who is likely one or two years from a significant contract. Maatta isn't completely replaceable per se--especially if he keeps his 82 point pace-- but the Pens won last season with him at 60% arguably. You're telling me you couldn't fill that hole with one of the guys Vegas is trying to rid themselves of?

Like I said, its fantasy but Maatta for S Reinhart, then prospect/pick for McNabb/Garrison/Sbisa/Merrill/G Reinhart? I think that looks good for a Pittsburgh POV.

I'd rather just keep Maatta and get a surer thing at 3C. Reinhart has a lot of promise, but he's not a guy that a contender who can't afford to see him through his growing pains should be paying a premium for.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
It's rumoured galchenyuk could be headed there...Obviously cant be the top line guy here in montreal but I'd imagine he would be able to handle third line duties. We can't sell him as a third line centre tho...the kids a 30 goal scoring top six forward..the return would have to be fair....sprong has to be part of it
Chucky would be Malkins LW if he came here. Chucky can't do the things we need a 3c to do on our team.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Maatta has had a hell of a start but he's far from a sure thing considering the past few seasons. His injury history is still a tad concerning.

Maatta isn't completely replaceable per se--especially if he keeps his 82 point pace-- but the Pens won last season with him at 60% arguably. You're telling me you couldn't fill that hole with one of the guys Vegas is trying to rid themselves of?

When Pen fans talk about being able to replace Maatta, they're not talking about his offense (and specifically his PPG pace as they do not expect that to continue, but his overall game (specifically defensively and his puck movement). Maatta might only be playing 18-20 minutes a night, but as we've seen come playoff time, he's easily capable of playing 22-23 minutes a night against high end opponents. Getting someone like that isn't possible with the D Vegas is offering up. Garrison would hold some appeal, but would likely be expensive to acquire.

And while he's had a few injury issues over the years, that's not really a concern that any PIT fan has with him. However it is something we have to worry about with Letang... so while Maatta might be a luxury today, all it takes is a Letang injury (and that's pretty much a given every season) for him to become a necessity.

So I go back to my initial point... Pittsburgh doesn't need a young stud as a #3C, when there's other options available that will not require them to give up a key player to their blueline. So while I'd love to get Reinhart, it doesn't make a ton of sense right now, but I'd be willing to reconsider things in the offseason, when we again have the chance to potentially replace Maatta in FA.

BigHabs

Aug 3, 2009
:habs

Tomas Plekanec - whatever retained
Brendan Gallagher
Jordie Benn

:pens

Patric Hornqvist
Olli Maata
5th round pick

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013
Haven't seen this one tossed out there...

Olli Maatta for Sam Reinhart as a base?
I don't like the thought of trading away a top four Dman, a position that lacks depth and one that is on his way to having a career year point wise, for a 3C from Buffalo.

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013

Why does Sprong have to be part of it? Galchenyuk isn't working in Montreal. They want him gone. You can't sell him as such, but that is what Pittsburgh would be acquiring him for, so ... his value isn't as high as you think. We don't need him as a winger at all.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
That's probably his value, but he has a role here....don't see Lou dealing him. Would hate to break up Matthews and Nylander....and the thought of Moore or Fehr at 3C? Oh boy....

Couldn't the Leafs move Marner to center to replace Bozak, and then move Brown onto the RW next to Marner and JVR?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
:habs

Tomas Plekanec - whatever retained
Brendan Gallagher
Jordie Benn

:pens

Patric Hornqvist
Olli Maata
5th round pick

So the trade essentially breaks down as:
-Hornqvist swapped for Gallagher
-A pending UFA in Plekanec for Maatta
-Benn for a 5th

The only even reasonable part of that trade (and I wouldn't even do it) is the Benn for a 5th part.

Bryan Fogartys Ghost

Oct 20, 2017
How long til Blueger is ready to give a legit shot?????
Dude can fly and kill penalties, plus he's been in our system a few years.
If Teddy can play centeri the NHL let him start out on 4th, keep McKegg on as third, and let Rowney ride the pine.
Then when Blueger is ready flip him and Mckegg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad