McKenzie: Penguins exploring multiple options to get a depth center

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I'd offer a 1st. I think he'd be worth it for the Kessel connection and his FO ability.
That's probably his value, but he has a role here....don't see Lou dealing him. Would hate to break up Matthews and Nylander....and the thought of Moore or Fehr at 3C? Oh boy....

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
That's probably his value, but he has a role here....don't see Lou dealing him. Would hate to break up Matthews and Nylander....and the thought of Moore or Fehr at 3C? Oh boy....

That's fair. Leafs have the potential to do some damage this year.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Sheahan is just settling if you are the Pens. 0 points so far in 7 games this season. His poor production is no longer just a poor season but it's becoming the norm for him.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
Seems fair ?

I doubt the Pens are high on the idea of moving Maatta right now when he finally looks like he's back to his old self. Plus I'd imagine they'd want a 3C who has a career FO% higher than 35 since they'd likely be taking a lot of defensive zone draws.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Probably not nearly as much as the Leafs would want, especially considering he's a UFA after this season.

I think we would have jumped at it this summer but now it is harder to trade him for draft picks, it sends the wrong signal to the team. A fair offer for sure though.

rosscow

Apr 5, 2015
The leafs are not trading anyone to the pens. The leafs should be looking for a playoff run and trying to beat the pens. Not helping the pens stock up

Reactions: Nakawick

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Haven't seen this one tossed out there...

Olli Maatta for Sam Reinhart as a base?

I see little reason why Pittsburgh would trade Maatta at this time. In the offseason it might have made sense with how Maatta was playing (with the idea of moving him and signing a replacement via FA - someone like B.Smith). But as that option has passed, and Maatta has managed to drastically improve his skating, there's really no reason to entertain a move of this kind. And I'm saying that as a huge fan of Reinhart.

Pittsburgh can win another cup with a less recognizable #3C. They're not likely going to have much of a chance without a Maatta caliber D playing top 4 minutes. I'm not sure that answer is Sheahan (with how McKegg has played so far, the desire for RS has dropped considerably among PIT fans), but there are enough options out there that with how McKegg has been playing, we have time to see what else develops.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Can someone tell me why the Pens should pursue Riley Sheahan, he seems about as vanilla as they come. 2 goals last year, 0 points so far this year (small sample size, i know), but either way, he seems like a player that's trending down. I think they should search for better options.

Don't blame you for not wanting Sheahan, but he really isn't an offensive player, so no points in 7 games is not really a big deal. Having said that, only in a cap world would Riley Sheahan in his current form, ever be a 3rd line center or winger. He's a solid 4th liner in my opinion, and just doesn't do enough to justify playing anymore than 10 minutes a night, with some PK time.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
But as that option has passed, and Maatta has managed to drastically improve his skating, there's really no reason to entertain a move of this kind. And I'm saying that as a huge fan of Reinhart.

He looked slow as molasses in the game against Tampa and the opening games (haven't seen any Pitt games since, conflicting with Leafs). Has he actually gotten quicker/more mobile?

I'd offer a 1st. I think he'd be worth it for the Kessel connection and his FO ability.

I wanna say I'd do it but with how good this team has been, I think management wants to contend this year and ride him out into the sunset.

If Moore was adequate enough offensively to move up, it's probably a done-deal. Aaltonen looked good in camp but he's a rookie. I don't think Bab will breakup Matthews-Nylander this early, especially at this point into the year.

I'd have to mull over it either way. It's going to take an overpayment to get Bozak even as a rental. JVR is more moveable because of our W depth.

Reactions: 99664987

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Sheahan is just settling if you are the Pens. 0 points so far in 7 games this season. His poor production is no longer just a poor season but it's becoming the norm for him.

7 games is now the standard for "the norm" ?? Really? Are you sure that that is the definition you want to use? By that definition, Ovechkin will put up 102 goals while Kucherov will put up 143 points. And that if they do not, then by your standard, they will have failed to hit their "norm" and thus have failed. :shakehead

Fatty McLardy

Oct 6, 2017
7 games is now the standard for "the norm" ?? Really? Are you sure that that is the definition you want to use? By that definition, Ovechkin will put up 102 goals while Kucherov will put up 143 points. And that if they do not, then by your standard, they will have failed to hit their "norm" and thus have failed. :shakehead

Fair point, but what about last year, 2 goals? that doesn't exactly scream 3rd line center on a contender like Pittsburgh.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg

He was brutal last year too though. Only 13 points total, and his only goals came in the final game.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
He looked slow as molasses in the game against Tampa and the opening games (haven't seen any Pitt games since, conflicting with Leafs). Has he actually gotten quicker/more mobile?

His top end speed was never the issue - even last season. It was always his turns and his acceleration/first couple of steps that were causing him issues, and that had many fans complaining about him. And those have improved drastically this summer, to the point that he's looking very good out there. He'll never be confused as someone who skates like Letang, but so far neither is he looking like he's skating in molasses all the time.

Very fast teams (like Tampa and Toronto) will cause issues with a lot of slower Dmen, and Maatta is no exception, but overall, yes his skating has improved significantly - to the point that even those who were willing to move him last year are by large, not willing to do so now.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Fair point, but what about last year, 2 goals? that doesn't exactly scream 3rd line center on a contender like Pittsburgh.

He was brutal last year too though. Only 13 points total, and his only goals came in the final game.

No denying that. But he also shot 1.8% last season. You normalize that and he's at something around 12g/25pts. Not great by any means, but neither is it anywhere near as bad as some are suggesting.

Is he my first choice? Not even close. Hell he's not even in my top 5 (talking realistic or semi realistic options). But I'm not really all that worried based on his past production with quality linemates, a different coach and more than 10 minutes a game (which he's only had once so far this year in Detroit). This guy didn't suddenly forget how to play hockey.

webersshot

Jul 6, 2016
Nova Scotia
It's rumoured galchenyuk could be headed there...Obviously cant be the top line guy here in montreal but I'd imagine he would be able to handle third line duties. We can't sell him as a third line centre tho...the kids a 30 goal scoring top six forward..the return would have to be fair....sprong has to be part of it

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It's rumoured galchenyuk could be headed there...Obviously cant be the top line guy here in montreal but I'd imagine he would be able to handle third line duties. We can't sell him as a third line centre tho...the kids a 30 goal scoring top six forward..the return would have to be fair....sprong has to be part of it

The Penguins wouldn't trade Sprong for Galchenyuk solely because of Galchenyuk's cap hit. I really don't think Galchenyuk is a fit in Pittsburgh at all, I just don't think it would work.

I also wonder why you're mentioning Sprong, is it because he just had a hattrick against your AHL team? :laugh:

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh

I wouldn't blame the Habs for asking but the Pens trading their best prospect for a 3C who to this point in his career has rarely even played C doesn't seem like a great fit. It's understandable that the Habs can't sell him as a 3C but that's what the Pens are looking for.

Honestly with the way Sprong is playing I'd be pretty upset if they trade him at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad