PC Building Guide and Discussion #11 (everything is expensive...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Yeah it's unlikely to be related to the case fans. 140F/60C is high for idle temperatures or when browsing and such. In a game those are pretty normal though.

Sep 19, 2008
Yeah it's unlikely to be related to the case fans. 140F/60C is high for idle temperatures or when browsing and such. In a game those are pretty normal though.

Okay. Probably the thermal paste. Will get some at store tomorrow. I should add the computer doesn't even boot up because of this. When I went into bios it complained about overheating.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
It could be anything heating the cpu up but that is most likely. 140f is nuts. Also I poked around and saw only two fans plugged in. The case has four fans so plugging the others in would really cool the pc down. But the psu cord has only three slots for fans and they're all occupied.

Does your motherboard have empty fan headers? When you say the psu only has 3 slots for fans, I'm guessing you mean molex connectors? If so, and there's more headers, you could either replace the fans with fans that have connectors for the headers... you could get adapators that let the current fans use the headers... if you have free SATA power connectors, I believe you can get SATA to molex adaptors too for the fans.

You may not really need to get them all going, but if you want to, those are possibilities.

Sep 19, 2008
Yeah molex or the ones with four circles. Someone else said there's no point plugging all the fans in because it'll use too much power and task the psu which is 750w. But we'll see. Main concern now is getting the paste on and seeing if the computer actually completes boot up.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
Yeah molex or the ones with four circles. Someone else said there's no point plugging all the fans in because it'll use too much power and task the psu which is 750w. But we'll see. Main concern now is getting the paste on and seeing if the computer actually completes boot up.

I have trouble seeing a 750w PSU being taxed by fans. But yeah, I'd agree - getting the CPU heat sink properly reinstalled is far more important. To put it into perspective, my current build is on a 650 watt PSU, I'm running an RX 480 (older cards can definitely pull more power than that one), and my PSU also runs a 40 watt (20/channel) RMS amplifier - there's no way the fans pull nearly what the amplifier can pull. The only problem I get there is some EMI interference to the audio that I'm trying to weed out.

Sep 19, 2008
I applied the paste. Not sure it really did much. Cpu still at 110 degrees. Computer won't even boot up into windows 10. Just freezes at windows icon at boot.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
I applied the paste. Not sure it really did much. Cpu still at 110 degrees. Computer won't even boot up into windows 10. Just freezes at windows icon at boot.

Do you know if the CPU heat sink clamped down tightly?

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Yeah you probably have some other issue. HD is a definite possibility. You can download the utilities from the seagate/western digital site which can run more in-depth tests on the drive.

Sep 19, 2008
Yeah you probably have some other issue. HD is a definite possibility. You can download the utilities from the seagate/western digital site which can run more in-depth tests on the drive.

It might be. After taking the pc apart and reconnecting cables it recognizes the hd again. It just locks up at boot without spinning Dots.

I suspect I need to get the repair drive program... But I only have one windows pc here so I have to get my other laptop with ten at another place and burn a backup of ten off that. Just hoping I can access recovery tool on pc using that USB drive.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
My understanding is that the Ryzen processors are built on 4 core modules. That leaves me wondering - what are the odds that a 6 core processor could be unlocked to an 8 core processor? I'm guessing the odds aren't good this time around, but it does bring back memories of turning my brother's tri-core Athlon into a quad.

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
I'm going to wait for actual benchmarks in reviews from actual purchased CPU's before buying, but I'm leaning heavily towards getting an 1800X. Even though in Canada it's 650$, I don't think I've seen a CPU that good for 650$ at the time of release, I just hope the benchmarks we're seeing are legitimate and it overclocks well.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
I'm going to wait for actual benchmarks in reviews from actual purchased CPU's before buying, but I'm leaning heavily towards getting an 1800X. Even though in Canada it's 650$, I don't think I've seen a CPU that good for 650$ at the time of release, I just hope the benchmarks we're seeing are legitimate and it overclocks well.

The 1400X is probably the way I'm going for my sister's build. Although, if money is there, the 1600X would be nice - but based on her use, I'm favouring clock speed over cores, so that likely eliminates the 1500.

What I'm really tempted to do, but am fighting myself on though is going for that 1800X, and telling her that she can have my i7 6700K. It would make some things I do go faster - BUT, they're the type of CPU chores that I can leave the computer doing overnight - sure, the 8 core would do them faster, but if I'm sleeping, I really shouldn't care.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I'm still pretty happy with my 980 Ti at 3440x1440 (sometimes reduce a couple minor settings), but NVIDIA is really testing me here. :laugh:

$500 for a 1080 is super appealing. Less appealing when converted to Canadian moneys, but still appealing.

Likely $1,000 CDN for a 1080 Ti is probably too rich for my blood since I only rarely run games at 4K.

IamJust0ne

May 4, 2006
I'm so confused. I unplugged my old monitor, plugged in the new one (same Hdmi) and now my PC isn't giving out video signal, whatsoever. Even when I try plugging in my old monitor. The lights on my mouse/keyboard aren't coming on once I boot up either. Anyone have any idea what the hell I did? :cry:

EDIT: Video card is a 1070, neither hdmi output work. Same with the motherboards hdmi

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
I'm in the process of building a new machine and I'm torn between taking the lowered price for a 1080 or chipping in a little more to get a 1080 ti.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I'm so confused. I unplugged my old monitor, plugged in the new one (same Hdmi) and now my PC isn't giving out video signal, whatsoever. Even when I try plugging in my old monitor. The lights on my mouse/keyboard aren't coming on once I boot up either. Anyone have any idea what the hell I did? :cry:

EDIT: Video card is a 1070, neither hdmi output work. Same with the motherboards hdmi

Did you try disconnecting the graphics card and running off the onboard HDMI only? Just wondering if the GPU got dislodged somehow.

I'm in the process of building a new machine and I'm torn between taking the lowered price for a 1080 or chipping in a little more to get a 1080 ti.

I'd only do 1080 Ti if you're running 4K, and even then a 1080 can handle 4K just fine if you don't mind giving up the tip toppiest of anti-aliasing.

On the other hand, a 1080 Ti is pure badassery, so.....:laugh:

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
I'd only do 1080 Ti if you're running 4K, and even then a 1080 can handle 4K just fine if you don't mind giving up the tip toppiest of anti-aliasing.

On the other hand, a 1080 Ti is pure badassery, so.....:laugh:

You see my dilemma. I don't have a 4k monitor. But a 144hz monitor of some variety is in the plans at some point in the next month or so.

The thing is I'm trying to build it somewhat future resistant, as in it stays useful for gaming for 3-5 years, that's why I'm leaning toward 1080 ti since its going to cost only a few bucks more than 1080's currently cost when it's released.

Although the temptation to just get discounted 1080 cards and pocket the rest for a monitor or other upgrade is tempting as well.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Trying to troubleshoot my server not powering up... anyone know what the root cause is when the psu passes the jumper test? I jumped a couple pins to the motherboard which turned on the fan, but it still doesn't boot up and I don't have anything to test the components against after donating all my old parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad