PC Building Guide and Discussion #11 (everything is expensive...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Which PC configuration would be equivalent in strenght to PS 4 Pro ?

Current hardware equivalency is probably somewhere around the A10-7850K CrossFired with an R7 250 graphics card.

However, I would recommend against CrossFire in its current state, and instead go for something like the Pentium G4560 and a GTX 1050 or RX 460 as Kestrel mentioned. It's a bit more modern and a bit more powerful. You could go i3 although I feel like the hyperthreaded Pentiums are the bargain this go around.

If at all possible, I would wait for the release of Ryzen. There's bound to be a shift in CPU pricing very soon.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
The other problem a hardware equivalent PC will perform worse than a PS in a lot of cases.

Especially when the game you're comparing can't really be directly compared. Is the new Call of Duty on the PS 4 Pro running a PC "medium" or "high" ? More likely it's some mix of settings on a PC you can't even achieve.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
The other problem a hardware equivalent PC will perform worse than a PS in a lot of cases.

Especially when the game you're comparing can't really be directly compared. Is the new Call of Duty on the PS 4 Pro running a PC "medium" or "high" ? More likely it's some mix of settings on a PC you can't even achieve.

Very good point, although you can usually get somewhere close.

I'm going to say CoD on PS4 Pro runs somewhere in the "medigh" range.

The other question is your personal target frame rate, as the PS4 Pro is shooting for 60 but I can anecdotally attest that it tends to be anything but steady.

Cush

Dec 1, 2002
Northern Virginia
http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-reviews-live-february-28th-testers-receiving-samples/

Reviews for AMD’s next generation Ryzen CPUs will go live on February 28th and will include about half a dozen different models our sources have revealed. The company is currently in the process of seeding review samples to testers across the globe. AMD’s officially announced launch date for Ryzen is March 2nd. That’s when the majority of the lineup is expected to go on sale, with a few models expected to begin shipping to customers a couple of days before that.

In fact, just a few hours ago several European retailers had begun taking pre-orders for the Ryzen 7 1800X, 1700X and 1700. With shipments expected to commence on the 28th. The new roster of CPUs includes seventeen different SKUs starting at $129 and going all the way up to $499.

Individual 1

Jan 25, 2012

Not to mention a number of games are fairly well optimized for console, but then the port is poorly optimized for pc.

ADifferentTim

Knowledgeable & Pure
Dec 18, 2013
LACo/IE; SoCal
Which of these sets of specs will be good enough for Steam?

Set 1
--i7-4720 quad core, 2.6 GHz (3.6 GHz Max Turbo)
--NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M, 4GB Graphics Card
--8GB RAM

Set 2

--i5-6300HQ (3.2 GHz Max)
--NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M, 4GB
--8GB RAM

I intend to use my delayed tax return to buy a laptop, by the way. I appreciate any other specs that would match those.

And no, I do not want Intel graphics cards! :rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant:

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
"Good enough for Steam" is unfortunately a bit vague my friend. ;)
Steam has games from the tip toppiest of AAA titles to games you can run on a potato.

What types of games are you in to?

Last edited:

ADifferentTim

Knowledgeable & Pure
Dec 18, 2013
LACo/IE; SoCal
"Good enough for Steam" is unfortunately a bit vague my friend. :laugh:

Steam has games from the tip toppiest of AAA titles to games you can run on a potato.

What types of games are you in to?

I arranged this genre list by order of priority.

--JRPGs
--Turn-based strategy games
--Rhythm games (like Audiosurf) and Fighting games
--3rd-person action adventure (like Jet Set Radio Future and grand theft auto)
--CYOAs/Visual Novels
--FPS (specifically Bioshock, DOOM and Duke Nukem FOREVER)

Specific developers and publishers I have an intense bias in favor of:

--SEGA/Atlus
--Square Enix (needs more Taito IPs here)
--Marvelous
--Idea Factory
--Spike Chunsoft
--NIS America
--Bandai Namco
--Koei Tecmo
--Capcom

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
I arranged this genre list by order of priority.

--JRPGs
--Turn-based strategy games
--Rhythm games (like Audiosurf) and Fighting games
--3rd-person action adventure (like Jet Set Radio Future and grand theft auto)
--CYOAs/Visual Novels
--FPS (specifically Bioshock, DOOM and Duke Nukem FOREVER)

Specific developers and publishers I have an intense bias in favor of:

--SEGA/Atlus
--Square Enix (needs more Taito IPs here)
--Marvelous
--Idea Factory
--Spike Chunsoft
--NIS America
--Bandai Namco
--Koei Tecmo
--Capcom

A lot of that stuff should be playable on either, but newer strategy, fighting, and especially shooters will probably be a bit choppy.

Between the two, I'd probably opt for the one with the 960M....but as Sniper said, if you can swing the budget for a newer generation one with a 1060 you'll be laughing.

The most recent generation of NVIDIA graphics cards are very close to their desktop counterparts, unlike the older cards with the "M" designation.

IamJust0ne

May 4, 2006
I'm looking to pick up a new monitor, and know next to nothing about them. I hear alot about 4k, but good things about 144hz ones as well? It'd be for games like For Honor/LoL and watching movies. Looking to keep it around $500 CAD. Any suggestions on brands/makes?

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
Anyone have any quickie router recommendations in the $50-$80 range?

Ended up on the TP Link AC1200 Gigabit:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...12&cm_re=tplink_ac1200-_-33-704-312-_-Product

That TP Link lineup is pretty great bang for buck. I use one as well.

I'm looking to pick up a new monitor, and know next to nothing about them. I hear alot about 4k, but good things about 144hz ones as well? It'd be for games like For Honor/LoL and watching movies. Looking to keep it around $500 CAD. Any suggestions on brands/makes?

What graphics card do you use, out of curiosity?

4K is beautiful, but requires some serious power to play AAA stuff like For Honor.

High refresh rate is always nice if you have the graphics card to drive frames that high, but you have to keep in mind that usually monitors that go that high are TN panels, which don't have as nice of a picture. There are high refresh IPS panels, but they are often extremely expensive. Depends on your personal preference.

Sep 19, 2008
My cpu is reaching hot levels. Like, super hot. I found out that the fan on top was too easily removed and most of the thermal paste dried out. Should I reapply the paste?

The cpu reaches like 140f in bios . That's ridiculous. At expense of preventing further damage I'm not turning it on until I know how to cool that thing down.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
My cpu is reaching hot levels. Like, super hot. I found out that the fan on top was too easily removed and most of the thermal paste dried out. Should I reapply the paste?

Yes.

If it's an Intel heatsink it might be worthwhile to play around with the little pegs first till you can make sure it's getting secured completely. If they are put in wrong those things have a tendency to pop out.

Most likely yes. It will fit for sure. Outstanding issue is the power supply. Since it goes up to a max of a GTX 960 in the specs there's a good chance it will work straight off.

But to be sure you should open up the case and find the PSU label and post a picture of it here.

Sep 19, 2008
Yes.

If it's an Intel heatsink it might be worthwhile to play around with the little pegs first till you can make sure it's getting secured completely. If they are put in wrong those things have a tendency to pop out.

Most likely yes. It will fit for sure. Outstanding issue is the power supply. Since it goes up to a max of a GTX 960 in the specs there's a good chance it will work straight off.

But to be sure you should open up the case and find the PSU label and post a picture of it here.
It could be anything heating the cpu up but that is most likely. 140f is nuts. Also I poked around and saw only two fans plugged in. The case has four fans so plugging the others in would really cool the pc down. But the psu cord has only three slots for fans and they're all occupied.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->