PC Building Guide and Discussion #10

Avenger*

I don't know why so many are keen to place judgement on this card based on the stock reference version.

Many of the aftermarket companies have already confirmed 8pin or more connections, better coolers and factory overclocks.

I'm actually surprised by how many people are interested in purchasing the AMD branded card. Does being the first to have one really mean that much to people knowing that a superior product is right around the corner?

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
I don't know why so many are keen to place judgement on this card based on the stock reference version.

Many of the aftermarket companies have already confirmed 8pin or more connections, better coolers and factory overclocks.

I'm actually surprised by how many people are interested in purchasing the AMD branded card. Does being the first to have one really mean that much to people knowing that a superior product is right around the corner?

I'm likely to get one at some point... but I won't be at the front of the line. I have an i7 being used as a server, that I'm eventually going to pop into another project. It's running on-CPU video right now, but I might eventually want it to be a gamer. However, as an always-on computer, it would be nice for it to have a power efficient card, which this one seems to be.

All in good time though, I'm not in a hurry.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
What's not clear is whether every card has 8 or not. A lot of people think it's only some of them.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
Yeah, I certainly wouldn't be buying a 4, banking on it being a BIOS modded 8. On the other hand, if I were on the fence, leaning toward a 4 anyway, that might be the push that got me to just go ahead and buy it. It reminds me of the old AMD Athlons. My brother wanted me to piece together a computer for him - I probably could have squeezed an X4 into his budget, but it really was about value and budget, not performance, but I just couldn't justify going all the way down to an X2. An X3 was a nice compromise, and it unlocked into a perfectly functioning X4.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
So a combination of my Amazon Prime trial on the verge of running out, a sale, and a desire for a change of aesthetics, I've retired my OG Cooler Master 690 case for a Phanteks Enthoo Pro. I've had that case for probably a decade, and I had it covered with various stickers, time for something a bit cleaner.

And since that came with a case window and PSU shroud, I decided to replace my PSU too, swapping in a Corsair 750M modular PSU. Visible cables look so clean now, mobo, GPU, SATA and power cables are all black, blends in with the black interior, and there's a neat fan controller behind the mobo tray, along with the bigger fans (200mm in front, 140 rear), it's so quiet.

Will probably try to find a better lighting strip, as one of my older blue CCFL lights doesn't cut it. An LED strip would probably be easier/cleaner to hid in the top or bottom as well.

It makes absolutely no difference in performance, as in the end, it's just a box to hold things, but new shiny. :D

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
$249 for the version you don't want. Wonder what the final price will be on partner cards with the 6gb... should be the 1080p king if they get it right.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I'd much rather buy an RX 480 4GB/8GB over that card. Hell, if AMD can sort out the 1% frame issue, I'd love to even do Crossfire of the RX 480, since it can take on a single 1080 very, very well and be much cheaper (it can beat out the 1070 in almost any test).

Avenger*

Not sure why Nvidia would launch that card with 6GB of vram if it's supposed to be a 980 equivalent when it's apparently going to out perform an RX 480 that has an optional 8GB.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Not sure where to pose this question so if this aint the spot mods please move to approriate spot. So last night computer started making a sqeualing/screeching sound that would rival Fran Dreschers voice. Not really sure why or how. Computer was bought in December. Im a complete noob when it comes to computers so bare with me. It sounds like its coming from the fan but im not sure. Its pretty clean inside no dust of any significanse.

Model: Asus K20BF

Warning: Very loud screech

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Not sure where to pose this question so if this aint the spot mods please move to approriate spot. So last night computer started making a sqeualing/screeching sound that would rival Fran Dreschers voice. Not really sure why or how. Computer was bought in December. Im a complete noob when it comes to computers so bare with me. It sounds like its coming from the fan but im not sure. Its pretty clean inside no dust of any significanse.

Model: Asus K20BF

Warning: Very loud screech

That's actually really impressive :laugh:

Yeah it definitely seems like the CPU fan. You can confirm by starting it up and holding your fingers on the fan so it can't move. It won't hurt anything to do that for 10-20 seconds.

That looks like a pretty standard fan on top so you can probably replace it pretty easily. Do you have the model name/number of your PC?

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
That's actually really impressive :laugh:

Yeah it definitely seems like the CPU fan. You can confirm by starting it up and holding your fingers on the fan so it can't move. It won't hurt anything to do that for 10-20 seconds.

That looks like a pretty standard fan on top so you can probably replace it pretty easily. Do you have the model name/number of your PC?

Haha its insanely loud.

Heres whats on the sticker.

Its an Asus K20BF

DSC_0149.jpg

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Stopped the fan with my finger and the screeching didn't happen.

I think the best way to go would be to replace the fan instead of the whole heatsink/fan combo.

Can you take a still pic of the fan, top and side if possible. Can't see how it's attached from the YT vid.

Also, measure one of the sides of the fan to see what size it is. Looks like it's 70,80, or 90mm.

Sined

The AndroidBugler!
Jun 25, 2007
So I think I'm going to go full ****** and get a GTX 1060 for my HTPC (if the leaked perf charts are true) and it's relatively affordable.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I think the best way to go would be to replace the fan instead of the whole heatsink/fan combo.

Can you take a still pic of the fan, top and side if possible. Can't see how it's attached from the YT vid.

Also, measure one of the sides of the fan to see what size it is. Looks like it's 70,80, or 90mm.

Yup its 80NN. $5 later and all is good. :handclap:

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Anyone try out the DX12 3dmark bench?

I might have to install a 10 eval to check it out. Really curious to see how my older gen AMD cards do. In the Vulkan benches for Doom older AMD cards are running really well.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
Anyone try out the DX12 3dmark bench?

I might have to install a 10 eval to check it out. Really curious to see how my older gen AMD cards do. In the Vulkan benches for Doom older AMD cards are running really well.

3DMark Score: 3414

Graphics Score: 3373

CPU Score: 3668

Graphics Test 1: 22.27 fps

Graphics Test 2: 19.13 fps

CPU Test: 12.32 fps

That's with my 6600k (up to 4.3 GHz) and 970, with 1600 MHz DDR3. That seems close to what anandtech was getting with a 970 at 1440p (no idea what my 3dmark is at, other than default settings, which might be 1440p). DDR4 might get better memory bandwidth, but most of the benchmarks I've seen comparing the two are usually very slight, but I think the benchmark is heavily dependent on the GPU.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10486/futuremark-releases-3dmark-time-spy-directx12-benchmark

To take a quick look at the benchmark, we ran the full test on a small number of cards on the default 1440p setting. In our previous testing AMD’s RX 480 and R9 390 traded blows with each other and NVIDIA’s GTX 970. Here though, the RX 480 pulls a small lead over the R9 390 while they both leave a slightly larger gap ahead of the GTX 970. Only to then see the GeForce GTX 1070 appropriately zip past the lot of them.

82853.png

If the default is at 1440p, I'm not sure if that's as valid, I still play at 1080p, as the jump to higher resolutions does put a damper on performance, especially with the 970's gimped VRAM.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad