PC Building Guide and Discussion #10

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
1440p as the default seems kinda silly since like 3 people have it, if you believe Steam hardware survey numbers. It's something like 1.5% of the market with another 2% above it as "other".

I assume if you have something smaller than a 1440p monitor it uses up-scaling.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
So EVGA finally processed my step-up request and I can pay $126 USD/$165 CAD to upgrade my 970 to a 1070. Is this a no-brainer or should I just save my money and stick with the 970 since it'll be good for gaming for a while? I can't really decide since I'm happy with my 970, and swapping the cards will leave me without a decent one for 2-3 weeks. But at the same time it's basically going from a 970 to a titan x and it will be much more future-proofed.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
So EVGA finally processed my step-up request and I can pay $126 USD/$165 CAD to upgrade my 970 to a 1070. Is this a no-brainer or should I just save my money and stick with the 970 since it'll be good for gaming for a while? I can't really decide since I'm happy with my 970, and swapping the cards will leave me without a decent one for 2-3 weeks. But at the same time it's basically going from a 970 to a titan x and it will be much more future-proofed.

Do you know if you're getting a reference model or a non-ref model?

Either way that seems pretty good to me.

A quick look on ebay shows used 970's going between 180 and 220 USD. A brand new 1070 is 450USD ish.

So if you sold your 970 yourself, and bought a 1070 in USD you'd have to cover $230 USD. This math probably works even better in CAD since the new cards would be even more overpriced.

I'd do it.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Do you know if you're getting a reference model or a non-ref model?

Either way that seems pretty good to me.

A quick look on ebay shows used 970's going between 180 and 220 USD. A brand new 1070 is 450USD ish.

So if you sold your 970 yourself, and bought a 1070 in USD you'd have to cover $230 USD. This math probably works even better in CAD since the new cards would be even more overpriced.

I'd do it.

Non-reference, this one: http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=08G-P4-6171-KR

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008

Do eeeeet.

Avenger*

http://wccftech.com/powercolor-rx-480-devil-clock-speeds-leak/

I'm now wondering if people are still concerned about this card?

I've also read that a reference design with a "universal liquid cooler" (I'm guessing a Kraken G10) was overclocked to more then 1.5 GHz and rivalled the performance of a 1070 due to it's over built components. The hold back being the six-pin power connector.

The longer this card is out the better it's looking.

Last edited by a moderator:

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
It was only ever a concern if you had a potato motherboard IMO. They have the driver fix now anyway so just one quick setting and it stops the PCIe power draw issue. Only costs like 1% performance give or take.

Avenger*

It was only ever a concern if you had a potato motherboard IMO. They have the driver fix now anyway so just one quick setting and it stops the PCIe power draw issue. Only costs like 1% performance give or take.

I seen complaints that the card didn't benchmark as well as some had expected as well. It appears the card has a lot of headroom yet.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
If you have no plan on getting SLI at any point in time with that card, I think it's a good card. If you want one in the future, it may not work out.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
In today's super annoying computer news, my Antec 1100's top 200mm's bearings decided to have a fit and now it sounds like an angle grinder.

Maybe they could be greased/cleaned out but it's not worth the effort of yanking out the fan, putting it back in, and the only finding out it still does it.

Looks like replacements aren't terribly hard to find at least. Didn't think there was much market for 200mm fans :laugh:

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
What is the difference between client bridge and repeater bridge for a router?

Which one should I use for a router that will be hooked up to my PC?

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
What is the difference between client bridge and repeater bridge for a router?

Which one should I use for a router that will be hooked up to my PC?

Are you trying to link two wireless networks or something? Those are settings relating to connecting two routers/networks.

You have a router with high end firmware or a DDWRT upgrade or some such?

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Are you trying to link two wireless networks or something? Those are settings relating to connecting two routers/networks.

You have a router with high end firmware or a DDWRT upgrade or some such?
Just trying to connect my router to my modem (which is the main router I think its one of those new shaw modems that is also a router).

So no I dont believe theres two networks. I'm basically using the router as a wifi adapter for my pc since my actual usb adapter is so terrible. I just put the router on my desk and plug it into the pc with an ethernet cable.

I got it working in client bridge but I'm wondering if that is the best mode.

And yeah I am using dd-wrt firmware, the gui when you access the router looks exactly like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?annot...&feature=iv&src_vid=KE1mr-TXUPo&v=lKApcaXeIfI

edit:

well, I guess you would be connect two networks since the router shows a different signal on my wifi before it goes into bridge mode. Is that what you mean? I'm not very tech savvy.

Last edited:

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Client bridge would be correct since they are actually two different networks. The main router should have a different IP range than the router you are using on your desktop. Most likely DD-WRT configured that on its own.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Client bridge would be correct since they are actually two different networks. The main router should have a different IP range than the router you are using on your desktop. Most likely DD-WRT configured that on its own.

Do you know any reason why I would not be getting full speed? My internet went down 2 days ago and it screwed with my router (I actually might have done a hard reset thinking it was a router issue I can't remember) so I had to set it up all over again.

I was getting full speed from it in client bridge at about 50 Mbps, now that I set it up again I'm getting 15-20 Mbps. Its relatively steady and has no impact on anything but its just eating at me how perfect it was working until now.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Are they 2.4ghz or 5ghz? 2.4ghz routers do that a lot if the channels all being used by various networks in your area.

Try manually setting a channel on both.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad