Rumor: New 3 on 3 pro hockey league coming soon.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
if im a fringe player who doesn’t envision being in the NHL for more than 3 years at best, this is extremely attractive. more money, less likelihood of long term injuries. there’s virtually no physicality in 3 on 3 OT.

and less pressure

Reactions: vancityluongo

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Who the hell would play in goal in such a series? Goodbye groin and hips.

Probably a bunch of CHL/College hockey cast-offs who never made it to the pros.

yea - i don't think this takes away from the ahl at all, let alone the nhl, but it's an interesting option for the guys that end up in the khl / europe after short nhl stints. also gives a cool option for guys like hirose who are struggling in pro hockey and essentially aging out, but obviously have some skill to display. as for goalies - i would assume this is a league where ebug types can shine. the more goals, the better.

as for the league - not surprised to see the typical haters (not here, but generally speaking) who are averse to any level of change in the sport, but depending on the locations for the teams (saw a rumour on twitter that arizona may be an inaugural location?? lmao), this could potentially be GREAT for the nhl and the sport in general. the big-3 league never really took off because the NBA is already so dominant, but the nhl doesn't know how to market shit, especially outside of its existing markets.

we live in a highlight driven world and this could offer the potential for multiple michigan goals per game, forsberg dekes, hail mary one-timers, etc. that capture new audiences to get interested in hockey in general.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
Dan Russell must be apoplectic. Remember all the 'circus time' rants?!

Sounds like a real bore, honestly.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005

I don't think Dangle is a bad person, so I don't wish him ill personally.

But I find his shilling of gambling to be disgusting and his constant screaming to be juvenile as hell. I guess I just don't take him seriously as a hockey analyst (yes, I know he's basically a fan with a podcast who scream cries at the camera after Leafs games). And someone made the mistake of telling Adam Wylde that he has a 'great laugh' when he was a kid, I gather. He has the most awful, disingenuous laugh I have seen, a complete gimmick.

I recall watching him laugh loudly once before instantly shutting his face down. I don't know how to explain it other than that it was clear that it was mirthless and was a complete affectation.

Reactions: Vector

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
There is basically 0% chance this league is launching. Essentially no details, no idea of funding, and they're saying it'll run this Fall? Not happening. Probably just a scam.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
3-on-3 overtime is the worst hockey I have ever watched. You're just basically waiting for your opponent to make a worse mistake than you. Like, a common tactic is to intentionally put your team offside by giving up the o-zone while you have possession. It's just awful hockey.

Why the hell would someone try to build an entire league around this gimmick and expect it to be profitable?
3 on 3 is an established version of hockey played at many levels. The big difference is that real 3-on-3 usually has smaller ice surfaces so it really changes the amount of space you have, and thus how fast you have to play, and the strategies you can employ.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad