PC Building Guide and Discussion #10

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
The stand offs are built in,

That's really annoying. I'm not a fan of built in standoffs... IMO, a case should include removable / self-installable standoffs, and give you at least 5 or 6 of them, if not more. Extra screws too.

Did you manage to get the motherboard installed despite that difficulty?

May 27, 2012
Earth
That's really annoying. I'm not a fan of built in standoffs... IMO, a case should include removable / self-installable standoffs, and give you at least 5 or 6 of them, if not more. Extra screws too.

Did you manage to get the motherboard installed despite that difficulty?

I'm not going to bother yet. I called a local computer store here and asked if they had screws for my case, they told me to bring it in to see if anything they have will work. So I'm going to be doing that shortly.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
I'm not going to bother yet. I called a local computer store here and asked if they had screws for my case, they told me to bring it in to see if anything they have will work. So I'm going to be doing that shortly.

Alright, good luck! It's always frustrating when things don't quite work out as simply as they should - but I think you'll still end up quite satisfied for having done it yourself.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
I clearly need the PCIe NVMe speeds for...games...and science?

Clearly. :laugh:

I've been very tempted to take that a step further... my mobo supports 2 PCIe NVMe drives in RAID. For science of course. But... so far, I haven't talked myself into it. :cry:

May 27, 2012
Earth
So my computer is done and up. For some reason, it's really, really slow on the ethernet cable. on speedtest.net I'm only getting 4.8 Mbps, but when I test it on my laptop just using Wi-Fi i'm getting 135 mbps. anyone know why?

Last edited:

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Most likely a driver or router issue. I would try directly connecting the ethernet cable to the modem.

If you only have a combo router/modem I'll have to think of something else :laugh:

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Are you able to try something like a large file transfer between your new system and another one over the network?

May 27, 2012
Earth
Are you able to try something like a large file transfer between your new system and another one over the network?

Do you mean downloading something? I tried downloading KOTOR on my laptop and it said it would take 3 minutes to do it. On my PC it would take 50 minutes. Both on Steam.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
You should go to the website for your motherboard and try and download updated drivers then if you haven't. And if you have try old ones.

Suppose it could be the cable but that's unlikely.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
Yeah that was the problem. I found my disk and downloaded the stuff. It's all good now.

Let us know what you think of your computer after you've spent some time on it. I know you had some unforseeable trouble getting it together, but how do you feel after building your own?

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
So I had a guy fix my RAM issue for free, unfortunately the fix hasn't survived much more than a week. I think I'll just sell my RAM and get one or two sigle channel 8GB sticks and just suck it up for the next little while.

Who knows, if the new AMD stuff really is good I might be able to stomach a platform change sooner rather than later.

CanadienDude

Katie B.
Nov 3, 2004
St. John's, NL
Recently got a 1080p, 144 hz mopnitor and was looking to upgrade my video card to take advantage of freesync.
Is the r9 fury worth the 100$ difference over the rx 480?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->