PC Building Guide and Discussion #10

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
So here's my current setup. I think that's all the relevant stuff in it.

Edit: PCPartPicker list if that helps you look at specs.

CPU: Intel Core i3 550
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
Motherboard: BIOSTAR Group T5XE CFX-SLI
Memory: Crucial 4GB CT2KIT25664BA1339
Storage: Western Digital Blue 500GB WD5000AAKS
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD5770 1GB DDR5 PCIE
Case: Antec Three Hundred
Power Supply: CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX
Optical Drive: ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS
Operating System: Windows 7

I bought it 5.5 years ago so obviously stuff is out of date. If I were to upgrade my rig with modern stuff to get better processing and more RAM that can handle running more CPU-intensive stuff (games, Adobe stuff, video editing stuff, etc), what could I keep from my current rig to save money? I've been out of the game too long to know what all the current standards are. Any start in the right direction would be cool. I'm in no hurry, just researching at the moment.

I'm guessing I'll need to upgrade the CPU, Mobo, Ram, CPU Fan and get an SSD to be in good shape. Does that sound right?

Thanks.

I'm going to guess that your video card is something that you're going to want to upgrade too.

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002
So here's my current setup. I think that's all the relevant stuff in it.

Edit: PCPartPicker list if that helps you look at specs.

CPU: Intel Core i3 550
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
Motherboard: BIOSTAR Group T5XE CFX-SLI
Memory: Crucial 4GB CT2KIT25664BA1339
Storage: Western Digital Blue 500GB WD5000AAKS
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD5770 1GB DDR5 PCIE
Case: Antec Three Hundred
Power Supply: CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX
Optical Drive: ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS
Operating System: Windows 7

I bought it 5.5 years ago so obviously stuff is out of date. If I were to upgrade my rig with modern stuff to get better processing and more RAM that can handle running more CPU-intensive stuff (games, Adobe stuff, video editing stuff, etc), what could I keep from my current rig to save money? I've been out of the game too long to know what all the current standards are. Any start in the right direction would be cool. I'm in no hurry, just researching at the moment.

I'm guessing I'll need to upgrade the CPU, Mobo, Ram, CPU Fan and get an SSD to be in good shape. Does that sound right?

Thanks.
I'd just keep the DVD and Windows 7. You could salvage the PSU but it's probably going to fail eventually if it's 5.5 years old. Same with the HD but that's less of a pain in the ass to replace unless you've got important stuff on there.

If you have any use for a second PC (i.e. as a media machine) it's probably worth it to keep your old system intact if it's working fine.

Zih

Dater's Gonna Hate
Dec 19, 2008
Colorado
I could still use it in the mean time until I can justify the upgrade, correct?

Yep, it'll work with any new motherboard you buy. Both AMD and Nvidia are in the process of launching their next generation of video cards, and by all accounts the new cards are excellent. Availability and price are still a bit sketchy right now, but that should smooth out in a few months. The RX 480 is supposed to sell for about $200 and should run anything at 1080p at (practically) maxed graphics. It's looking like it's going to be the best bang for your buck this generation.

There's still a reasonable amount that you can salvage from your current build. Your HDD, Case, and CPU Fan are all still serviceable despite their age.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
Pretty much what Zih said. If you just get the motherboard, CPU, and RAM, you've got a functioning system, and can add the video card and SSD drive later. You can reuse the power supply too - I'd eventually replace it where it's an aging unit, but you don't have to right away.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Bioshock Infinite keeps randomly crashing on me and I'm not sure why. I tried reinstalling the drivers and that didn't help. I have a 780Ti overclocked to 1270mhz but it isn't even boosting up in this game past the base clock so I'm a little lost on what to do here.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I've seen projects like that before. I think the biggest hurdle to it being practical is the PSU. You'd need some sort of custom built unit that doesn't have all the extra ATX spec crap you don't need.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
Yeah... it's an interesting idea. I think they're talking about pricing it at $80. If I had a laptop with the right slot (unfortunately, I believe my GTX 960m is just a soldered on chip), I'd maybe be interested. But it's not truly practical for most people.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Assuming it's not a problem with your setup, since it's working fine elsewhere.

Try old drivers?

No I haven't yet. I made a new profile with a 150mhz OC on both the core and the memory and now the game is boosting past base to 1050ish mhz :facepalm:
It hasn't crashed again yet so we'll see if that fixed it.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I've always heard of games that don't play well with OCs, never experienced one first hand though. Wouldn't surprise me now that every card is a boost card it becomes more common.

Avenger*

I agree it's steep but it's the first production unit of it's kind with no competition. They can essentially charge whatever they want.

All of the laptops marketed for gaming are also over priced. I can't see $500 being a problem for guys that drop several grand on a laptop and will more then likely outfit the dock with a 1070/1080.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
I'm pretty sure Razer is already putting an external GPU dock into production.

I do see one major difference - although it'll be an advantage for the Sourninja on older computers, and an advantage for the Razer on newer ones. It's USB C - which I'm assuming likely means it's USB 3.1. Older laptops with USB 3.0 may just not have enough bandwidth, I'm not sure. Even if they do, power would be an issue - does the Razer use external power, or just power from the USB port?

Avenger*

I do see one major difference - although it'll be an advantage for the Sourninja on older computers, and an advantage for the Razer on newer ones. It's USB C - which I'm assuming likely means it's USB 3.1. Older laptops with USB 3.0 may just not have enough bandwidth, I'm not sure. Even if they do, power would be an issue - does the Razer use external power, or just power from the USB port?

It has a built in 375 watt power supply.

Sined

The AndroidBugler!
Jun 25, 2007

It's not just USB 3.1, it uses the newest Thunderbolt standard via the Type-C interface.
It has it's own Power supply for the video card and charges the laptop through said power supply.

Plato

Nov 12, 2005
New York
Perhaps too broad a question but how much longer do you guys think I can get away with a GTX 960?

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Perhaps too broad a question but how much longer do you guys think I can get away with a GTX 960?

Big part of this is, 2GB or 4GB?

The answer is either way quite a long time if you're willing to run medium/low. GPU is fast relatively, but as VRAM requirements keep going up you'll be locked out of high on some games.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
The i5 will well outlive the 960.

With 4GB I wouldn't even worry about it for at least a year.

I figure on getting another year or maybe 2 out of my R9 280 and that card is slightly slower than yours and has 1 less GB of RAM.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad