News Article: Paul Maurice resigns

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
r u seriously equating what the people did on that flight to what mo did today....where is ur head at....they died for a reason that was more justifiable than what pomo did.........pomo didnt put his life on the line today!!!!!!....give ur head ashake!!

I'm not comparing the two by magnitude, but merely by direction. Both examples embody the concept that, even when you can see the writing on the wall, it takes some degree of courage to discard that phantom of hope-against-hope and go out on your terms. In the case of Flight 93, it was to save lives. In the case of Maurice, it was to show an unprecedented level of class and accountability. Of course, one is a much bigger example than the other; that's why I used it, so that you could see it.

Andy6

Court Jetster
Jun 3, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
I don't think he made any mistakes so much as, as he said, any given coach only has so many buttons he can push. They're all different ... they need something different after 8 years of Maurice giving it what he had.

Reactions: Gabe Kupari

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I wonder if Moe was looking at this as being his last year for a while now. His contract was up after this year, it seems like he helped handpick his successor. It seemed that he wasn't happy with how things went with COVID last year and needed to be somewhat persuaded to come back this year.

Got to think this has been on his mind for a while.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
I wonder if Moe was looking at this as being his last year for a while now. His contract was up after this year, it seems like he helped handpick his successor. It seemed that he wasn't happy with how things went with COVID last year and needed to be somewhat persuaded to come back this year.

Got to think this has been on his mind for a while.

Listening to Chevy I think it's a mutual decision. But yes I think he's a family guy and misses it. He's looked old and yesterday looked legit pissed... after 9 years or so I don't think you can fire the guy so very classy of tnse to let Maurice go gracefully and with class

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
have to wonder......... a few seasons back, wheeler adamantly stated to media, to paraphrase, he didnt want to play for any other coach....wonder what his thoughts are now, taking into account his contract and age if he still feels the same!
Who cares. He was a players coach and favoured mediocre wheeler more than ever. This is one of the big issues with Maurice.

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
Who cares. He was a players coach and favoured mediocre wheeler more than ever. This is one of the big issues with Maurice.

and probably let wheels run the dressing room....let the inmates run the asylum!....hoping he is moved at the trade deadline

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
and probably let wheels run the dressing room....let the inmates run the asylum!....hoping he is moved at the trade deadline

Exactly. Who wouldn't love that.
My worry about hiring an internal coach is he knows these guys too well and won't hold these guys accountable for their lazy play and stupid mistakes. Bring an outside guy and you can send a msg from day one.

Reactions: hn777 and rkp

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
Exactly. Who wouldn't love that.
My worry about hiring an internal coach is he knows these guys too well and won't hold these guys accountable for their lazy play and stupid mistakes. Bring an outside guy and you can send a msg from day one.

exactly...ala canucks

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
ESPN reported:

Maurice said the resignation was "100 percent" his decision. Winnipeg Jets general manager Kevin Cheveldayoff said "we came to an agreement" on Maurice leaving the team, and that "he's going to be well taken care of" moving forward. Maurice had one more year left on his contract at around $3 million.

———-

Paul Maurice was gently pushed out of the door!

Reactions: Jetfaninflorida

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
have to wonder......... a few seasons back, wheeler adamantly stated to media, to paraphrase, he didnt want to play for any other coach....wonder what his thoughts are now, taking into account his contract and age if he still feels the same!
Wheeler was Maurice’s job security blanket. This season, he has potted 1 goal.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
If I were Chevy, I'd really be reassessing right now and ask myself, what kind of talent do we really have here ?? I think we as fans, and Jet's management think we have a lot more than we really do.

It's maybe time to deal Copp now, and see what we can get for him, and make some other moves.

Who do we really have here on the 3rd and 4th lines ? not really a hell of a lot. Stastny in now finished and he should be let go. Other guys like Adam Lowry and Vesalainen are at best average to below average. Also if I were Chevy I may talk to Wheeler about waiving his no move clause, and see what we could get for him. Also how good is Scheifele if he doesn't have Wheeler setting him up ? I question that ? I think the talent is there, but question the effort.

These are possibilities, but it's time to honestly assess what we have.

Last edited:

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
If I were Chevy, I'd really be reassessing right now and ask myself, what kind of talent do we really have here ?? I think we as fans, and Jet's management think we have a lot more than we really do.

It's maybe time to deal Copp now, and see what we can get for him, and make some other moves.

Who do we really have here on the 3rd and 4th lines ? not really a hell of a lot. Stastny in now finished and he should be let go. Other guys like Adam Lowry and Vesalainen are at best average to below average. Also if I were Chevy I may talk to Wheeler about waiving his no move clause, and see what we could get for him. Also how good is Scheifele if he doesn't have Wheeler setting him up ? I question that ? I think the talent is there, but question the effort.

These are possibilities, but it's time to honestly assess what we have.

I think a new coach is the first step in assessing what he has.

Scheifele and Wheeler aren't going anywhere. In Scheifele's case you'd never get back what you're giving up and in Wheeler's case, his contract will make it very hard to move him unless it's at the deadline the year he goes to UFA, and by that time I expect the team is competing for a playoff spot, because if they aren't, Chevy won't be the one assessing the roster.

I get the desire to want to discuss moving them but it's just not realistically happening.

None

Feb 22, 2012
I think a new coach is the first step in assessing what he has.

Scheifele and Wheeler aren't going anywhere. In Scheifele's case you'd never get back what you're giving up and in Wheeler's case, his contract will make it very hard to move him unless it's at the deadline the year he goes to UFA, and by that time I expect the team is competing for a playoff spot, because if they aren't, Chevy won't be the one assessing the roster.

I get the desire to want to discuss moving them but it's just not realistically happening.

A huge part of Lowry's job as interim coach will be to get the team to buy in. If the players don't buy into what he's selling them then there's no chance he sticks.

I think if we get to the end of the season and Lowry isn't the guy then the topic of moving a core piece absolutely needs to be entertained as well.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
A huge part of Lowry's job as interim coach will be to get the team to buy in. If the players don't buy into what he's selling them then there's no chance he sticks.

I think if we get to the end of the season and Lowry isn't the guy then the topic of moving a core piece absolutely needs to be entertained as well.

Maybe you do look at moving a core piece, but I very much doubt that's Schiefele or Wheeler, so then you're looking at guys like Ehlers or Connor as the one's to consider moving.

Reactions: None

Tasteless Beaver

Here for the hot takes
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
The fact that Huddy and Flaherty didn't resign along with Maurice speaks volumes about their character. They've been here for a decade of largely underwhelming performance, they are on their 3rd head coach, and seem to accept no accountability for their contributions, or lack thereof. Fire them.

Zippity

Feb 3, 2013
Why did Kompon magically appear yesterday? Did someone finally realize working from home wasn’t working or he thought he was in the running for head coach job?

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
Why did Kompon magically appear yesterday? Did someone finally realize working from home wasn’t working or he thought he was in the running for head coach job?

I believe he was away from the team to support his wife Tina undergoing cancer treatment, at least that's what I understood around the time of the Hockey Fights Cancer game.

Now this is conjecture, but I wouldn't surprise me if Maurice took Kompon's return date into account when deciding when to time his resignation.

Reactions: kanadalainen

Zippity

Feb 3, 2013
Interesting perspective from
@leahhextall on Jets and resignation of Paul Maurice as head coach. Leah telling
@JimTothSports
on CJOB that the loyalty of the Jets’ organization is what is holding team back from success.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Wish Maurice the best going forward. If he wants a new coaching job, I'm sure one of the teams could use his talents. I think in the right situation he'd be a good coach, just probably not for a contending team. With the Jets I think what he brings just got stale like 3 years ago already.

I was actually a bit sad when I heard the news, despite wanting him gone for years, he seems like a legit good guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad